Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Help me decide which 1/8 buggy 4x4. Kyosho, Arrma or other...? >

Help me decide which 1/8 buggy 4x4. Kyosho, Arrma or other...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Help me decide which 1/8 buggy 4x4. Kyosho, Arrma or other...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 08:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And this just landed on my desk

Old 10-13-2020, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
I get your idea Movingwest. But unfortunately truggies are absolutely hideous to look at and have a face only a mother could love. The Talion looks like the Kraton's deformed unwanted leftovers that went all wrong seven ways from Sunday. In my opinion of course.

WOW... I just found out I'm a mother of a truggy I must have had way too much to drink.
Rexdogg likes this.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

And this just landed on my desk

Much jealousy on my end. Not for the Bears on your tube, but for the Typhon.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
WOW... I just found out I'm a mother of a truggy I must have had way too much to drink.
Lol... wayyy too much to drink.

Much jealousy on my end. Not for the Bears on your tube, but for the Typhon.
Thanks pal. And just found that desktop background this morning, thought it was pretty cool looking. Been a Bears fan since I knew what football was. Runs in the family.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

After checking with my other local hobby shop regarding two 3s lipo battery selection (which is still 60 miles away just the other direction), the hobby shop guy recommends not running two Wolfpack 3s 4500mah 35c lipo batteries in the Typhon. He recommends two 50c minimum due to much less chance of putting too much strain on the batteries. Mentioned he's seen running less than 50c batteries in the Typhon (or like vehicles) shorten battery life significantly too many times to recommend it. So if I come in and pick up two new 3s 5000mah 50c batteries he has in stock (said he has a couple different ones) he will match the price of the smaller Wolfpack batteries, which are $61 each. Said he just doesn't want me to waste my money. What a nice lad. Sounds like a good idea to me.
angrymelon likes this.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I get your idea Movingwest. But unfortunately truggies are absolutely hideous to look at and have a face only a mother could love. The Talion looks like the Kraton's deformed unwanted leftovers that went all wrong seven ways from Sunday. In my opinion of course.
Truggys are kind of like Mopeds. Yeah, it may be a bit embarrassing when you friends find out out you drive one, but they are so much fun that you won't really care what they think...

Old 10-13-2020, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Lol... wayyy too much to drink.

Thanks pal. And just found that desktop background this morning, thought it was pretty cool looking. Been a Bears fan since I knew what football was. Runs in the family.

You been a Bears fan you entire life? Well, at least you have really cool car. LOL.... Just messing with you.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

From what I’ve read the Wolfpack is continuous 35c with a 65c burst. That’s 157amp continuous or 290amp burst. Getting those sorts of draws on 6s you’ll likely break the space time continuum Ie run the battery down in under 1-2 minutes. A runtime of 10mins is 6c. 5min 12c 2.5min 24c... C ratings are like power ratings on stereo amplifiers... mostly bullshit. Reputable lipos such as reedy are probably realistic C compared to other brands that put unbelievable numbers that can not be easily tested. Your hobby shop is perhaps being a little conservative. Castle Creations as an example spec 5amp batteries with 25c.

the benefit of bigger amps for your situation is runtime. If you’re driving 60mile I’d get a number of packs. Running one set then waiting to recharge would be painful. Also get some proline badlands if you’re running in loam. The lugs on the standard tires looks a little low.

Battery Run Time Calculator

angrymelon likes this.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JerryRigged
Truggys are kind of like Mopeds. Yeah, it may be a bit embarrassing when you friends find out out you drive one, but they are so much fun that you won't really care what they think...

Agree with ya there Jerry. But I still won't be getting a truggy.... or a moped.

You been a Bears fan you entire life? Well, at least you have really cool car. LOL.... Just messing with you.
Hey, could be worse. My brother-in-law is a Cincinnati Bengals fan

Originally Posted by Matty A
From what I’ve read the Wolfpack is continuous 35c with a 65c burst. That’s 157amp continuous or 290amp burst. Getting those sorts of draws on 6s you’ll likely break the space time continuum Ie run the battery down in under 1-2 minutes. A runtime of 10mins is 6c. 5min 12c 2.5min 24c... C ratings are like power ratings on stereo amplifiers... mostly bullshit. Reputable lipos such as reedy are probably realistic C compared to other brands that put unbelievable numbers that can not be easily tested. Your hobby shop is perhaps being a little conservative. Castle Creations as an example spec 5amp batteries with 25c.

the benefit of bigger amps for your situation is runtime. If you’re driving 60mile I’d get a number of packs. Running one set then waiting to recharge would be painful. Also get some proline badlands if you’re running in loam. The lugs on the standard tires looks a little low.

Battery Run Time Calculator
Matty, you made me realize I don't know **** about this batteries business. I am a total newb to it though. Correct me if I'm wrong, it would be nearly impossible for the Typhon to draw enough power to strain the two Reedy 4500mah 35c batteries? .
Old 10-13-2020, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

In short, at 6S you won’t have an issue. 3S you may have an issue. Power = volts x amps. Halve the volts and you’ll double the amps needed to get the same power. 35C is a safety margin for manufacturers who state C ratings but may not be clear whether that’s burst or constant and for you to make an easier decision rather than refer to forums. If your motor pulls 200+ amps @ 6S continuously the motor/esc will likely melt along with the lipo. To do that you would need to bolt on truggy type belted tires, sauce them, put in the biggest pinion then go do multiple speed/braking runs on sticky asphalt. Or run flat out through long grass while towing your dog. If don’t do anything extreme nuts, you’ll be fine. Enjoy. And for the record both bodies look pretty good.

Last edited by Matty A; 10-13-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Matty.

Speaking of lipo batteries, are there certain brands to stay away from or mostly known to be "cheap"/crappy?
Old 10-14-2020, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Speaking of lipo batteries, are there certain brands to stay away from or mostly known to be "cheap"/crappy?
Generally, all budget brands are comparable and will be more than adequate, however there are some higher quality brands, for example Trinity which can support 5C+ charge rates.

There are only 2 brands of batteries that I personally stay away from:
  • MaxAmps
  • GensAce - I got burned on a lost leader sales tactic, won't buy from them anymore

Last edited by billdelong; 10-14-2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matty A
Also get some proline badlands if you’re running in loam. The lugs on the standard tires looks a little low.
My local track is pretty loamy. I do love me some badlands at this track. The Arrma Dakar tires (at least the truggy version, on my Kraton) run very good in loamy track. There may be a difference between Badlands and Dakars, but it will be a minor tuning difference, not like switching from Impacts to Badlands. (Actually, Impacts work pretty good at the local track too... )

Personally, I stay away from SMC, but lots of other people love them. Also, over at HobbyKing, their packs are really hit or miss. I avoid the grey lable Turnigy packs, but the Turnigy HD, Rino, and Graphine packs are great.

Also, over at the Arrma Forum, lots of people love the CHNL packs, especially the G+ line. Great price, and the they seem to be good quality.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by JerryRigged
Personally, I stay away from SMC, but lots of other people love them.
I recently picked up a LCG 4S-120C-6Ah Graphene Extreme pack from them and have 6+ race days on it so far, I charge at 20A with no signs of pack swelling and IR is still low... in the past their packs tend to last about 6 months for me, not much different than any other budget brand, but I have a higher quality charger now so I suspect that I may get longer lifespan out of this pack, only time will tell
Old 10-14-2020, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

For me I avoid anything Team Orion / Performa (expensive crappy batteries) - they have no support should anything fail.. A lot of brands are simply relabelling from the same manufacturer in China or Korea. I’ve now gone to cheaper packs. So far I like NXE Power (not sure if that’s in US). Guys at my track use turnigy and eco power and haven’t had issues.

Last edited by Matty A; 10-14-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.