Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Leaky shock oil bottles

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 08:05 PM
Tech Adept

Default Leaky shock oil bottles

Does anyone have a solution to keep the ae shock oil bottles from leaking its always a mess and half the oil leaked out even using the blue caps? Or is there abother brand of oil that comes in better quality bottles?
Old 12-23-2019, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Are using a shock oil bag? I use one and have not had any issues. Big thing is to make sure Is the bag always stays upright. Also, once you have one leak make sure to clean them all off with simple green or some other degreaser really good. I had some of the old associated bottles and they would leak and somehow get oil on every other bottle they were with.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mickey_B
Are using a shock oil bag? I use one and have not had any issues. Big thing is to make sure Is the bag always stays upright. Also, once you have one leak make sure to clean them all off with simple green or some other degreaser really good. I had some of the old associated bottles and they would leak and somehow get oil on every other bottle they were with.
No i saw that on amain i keep them in a ziploc in a plano box but i dont have a good way to keep them upright and its always covered i clean them and put in a new ziploc everytime but i probably need to get that bag.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any plastic container will work. Old lunch Tupperware etc. Personally I use an old dishwasher detergent container. But then, I'm not super concerned with looking "factory..."
Old 12-24-2019, 12:10 AM
Tech Champion

Just use another brand. Not worth the hassle of cleanup imo.

Avoid the screw top type in general as they rely on some part of the tip squashing or the cap stretching to seal or do so by poor design. This causes the cap to split along the flange or the nozzle to split along the seam. The only exception is Tamiya.

Go for the flip top type that snaps in. Losi and Hudy are pretty good, as is Yokomo.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Always keep a small sheet of aluminum foil in your pit box, when done using shock oil, place a small scrap of foil on the lid when screwing it back on, no more leaks, just be sure to remove the foil between uses!
simple likes this.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

I was going to say Saran Wrap, but it's pretty difficult to manage when it's in small pieces.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

I tried saran wrap and a ziploc over the threads it didnt really work i might just transfer them into better bottles if i can find some
Old 12-26-2019, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Man, I thought I was the only one picky about shock oil bottles. I lay all my shock oils down in pit/gear box. I just make sure to keep and use the blue bottle seals that come with most of Associated's oils.

sugs likes this.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rustyus
Man, I thought I was the only one picky about shock oil bottles. I lay all my shock oils down in pit/gear box. I just make sure to keep and use the blue bottle seals that come with most of Associated's oils.

I always threw those away like a confused idiot and then one day put my shock and diff oil bag sideways instead of vertical in the RC box... now I keep them.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:43 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

so far good luck with PT racing oil bottles. no leaking everywhere and I like the oil. Wish they had higher number diff oils.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:04 PM
Tech Initiate

I use the associated oil bag. My oils still leak but barely, and the bag contains it and doesn’t get all over my other stuff
Old 01-01-2020, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rustyus

Originally Posted by trf211
I always threw those away like a confused idiot and then one day put my shock and diff oil bag sideways instead of vertical in the RC box... now I keep them.
I use a body reamer and put a hole in the blue cap/plug. No leaks and you don't have to make a mess taking it in and out.
Cain likes this.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:32 AM
Tech Champion

just happened to cross by these
Torque Activated Pressure Sensitive Seals Cap Liners Torque Activated Pressure Sensitive Seals Cap Liners
which are available in various diameters, just measure your cap size, I like the idea of cutting the seal into a "donut" shape, haven't tried it yet, but sure looks promising to me!
Old 01-14-2020, 11:15 AM
Tech Champion

A while back I had ordered Turnigy Track Star oil, and I really like their cap design which has never leaked, but I noticed their oils are really hard to come by, but I have been refilling some of my favorite weight fluids from other brands just to keep using the same pointed cap which makes it very easy to squeeze the fluid into the crevice behind the planetary gears, plus the bottle is more flexible making it easier to squeeze and quickly get the fluid out of the cap!

So I did some searching last night and found an identical cap design on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DN87876/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DN87876/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As luck will have it, they already include "donut" shaped foam seals which explain why the Turnigy shock bottles never leaked, and as a bonus these caps are a direct fit on the PT bottles too!

Cain likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.