Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RogerM

HW V3.1 and XR10 which for 2wd mod and which for 4wd mod on carpet

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

Default HW V3.1 and XR10 which for 2wd mod and which for 4wd mod on carpet

hi guys!
I have two HW ESC`s, used V3.1 - in perfect condition and new in box HW XR10...which to put at 2wd and which at 4wd mod buggy?
racing on EOS type high grip carpet
cars B6.1 and B74
XR10 more amps, but probably more ajusting option which could be better for 2wd...but maybe I`m wrong...
Will appreciate advise from somebody who have driven those both.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

V3.1 for 2wd and xr10 for 4wd. 4wd will demand more from the esc all things being equal.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trf211
V3.1 for 2wd and xr10 for 4wd. 4wd will demand more from the esc all things being equal.
honestly to say...V3.1 I have at my B6.1 now, just bought B74 and thinking maybe to put V3.1 at it and the new XR10 at 2wd
at 2wd competition is higher, so thinking maybe XR10 could give some extra benefit... lets say if using XR10 could ensure -0.2-0.3sek per (16sek lap), I would swap them for sure...
Old 11-16-2019, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

If they don't run hot then I don't see why not. You are correct the added adjustments are very useful for 2wd, 4wd can get away with less.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Both are great ESCs and more than up to the job of modified racing in off-road.

I have XR10pro units in my 2wd cars as they have extra adjustments that make them smoother and easier to drive when the grip is low, the new G2 even more so.

V3.1 in the 4wd as it works fine, has all the adjustment you need with the extra traction available in 4wd (and I'm too cheap to replace something that is working just to have the latest).
Old 11-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

V3.1 from what I recall has only a 6.0V BEC. I would put that in the 2wd buggy as you can get servos that don't break the bank that have more than enough torque on 6.0V BEC. XR10 can go to 7.4V which you may find you want more torque out of the servo (assuming it can handle it) and speed.

Both though should be ore than fine in either vehicle.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

ok, as nobody says that xr10 is much faster esc, then will leave v3.1 at my b6.1 and at B74 will instal xr10
thank you for opinions!
Old 11-19-2019, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
V3.1 from what I recall has only a 6.0V BEC. I would put that in the 2wd buggy as you can get servos that don't break the bank that have more than enough torque on 6.0V BEC. XR10 can go to 7.4V which you may find you want more torque out of the servo (assuming it can handle it) and speed.

Both though should be ore than fine in either vehicle.
There is no issue with getting servos with good torque for a 4wd at 6V even on carpet / astro using pin tires (worst case load wise).

I actually set my BEC to 6V even though my servos can run at 7.4V as at 6V I get more than enough speed from them, I would be turning down the speed significantly on 7.4V leaving just the torque .... which I don't need anyway!
Bruno does the same and he's a world champion so ....

Here are the servos I use (same servos been in well over a year of hard racing and no issues at all);

In 2wd
https://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/pr...rvo-metal-gear

In 4wd
Old 11-19-2019, 12:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RogerM
There is no issue with getting servos with good torque for a 4wd at 6V even on carpet / astro using pin tires (worst case load wise).

I actually set my BEC to 6V even though my servos can run at 7.4V as at 6V I get more than enough speed from them, I would be turning down the speed significantly on 7.4V leaving just the torque .... which I don't need anyway!
Bruno does the same and he's a world champion so ....

Here are the servos I use (same servos been in well over a year of hard racing and no issues at all);

In 2wd

In 4wd
thanks for servos advise...but - is it HV or standard servo? Its written high voltage, but at specification just 6.0V mentioned
some times I order some stuff from CML then I could make a try with those servos...although that brand for me is unknown...

but as per BEC setting for Coelho - as I see for both 2wd and 4wd he run 7.4V
http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/hob...saw2018111618/
Old 11-20-2019, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hardijs
thanks for servos advise...but - is it HV or standard servo? Its written high voltage, but at specification just 6.0V mentioned
some times I order some stuff from CML then I could make a try with those servos...although that brand for me is unknown...

but as per BEC setting for Coelho - as I see for both 2wd and 4wd he run 7.4V
http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/hob...saw2018111618/
If I was going to be running on SUPER high grip like brand new EOS or CRC carpet then I would turn up the BEC and turn down the servo speed on the transmitter too. Most "EOS" carpet is not as high grip, especially if it is a few months old.

As for the servos they are HV capable, I can't remember the figures for 7.4V but they are listed in the documentation that comes with the servo. Trust me, in the 30+ years I've raced RC I've used all the top brand servos (except Sanwa) and these Etronix are as good as any of them!
hardijs likes this.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

What about XR10 Pro Stock V4?