Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
help choosing a motor for traxxas bandit >

help choosing a motor for traxxas bandit

help choosing a motor for traxxas bandit

Old 08-19-2019, 11:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default help choosing a motor for traxxas bandit

I have a Traxxas Bandit and I want to upgrade what would be the best esc and motor combo for speed. as well as the best type of battery for this.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

What esc and motor are in it now? Are you running 2s or 3s?
Old 08-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

I'd recommend a Castle 1410 (3800KV) motor and either a Castle Sidewinder or Mamba X ESC.

The 1410 is way more than needed for a 2WD car which makes it an excellent choice because you can gear it about the same as the Traxxas recommendations for the Velineon and it will run cooler. It will be plenty fast on 2S and you can run it occasionally on 3S if you are careful with gearing.

I have this combo in a 2WD Slash and a 2WD Rustler and am very satisfied with both setups (I only run it on 2S).

There are other combos out there that will work fine - this just happens to be what I have that I am very happy with,
Old 08-21-2019, 12:06 AM
Tech Rookie

currently stock everything thats why i need help with what i should get
Old 08-21-2019, 12:14 AM
Tech Rookie

would this fit the car without any other modifications to the electronics? and the would castle motor be equivalent in speed to the Velineon system?
Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 AM
Tech Elite

A 3800kv will not be a speed demon cant fit a large enough pinion and spur combo for gear speeds.. If you want to go for speed there are a few things your gonna need to know.In a traxxas with stock gear case and axles you will twist the gearcase and blow the axels.. I go with as big a Kv motor as you can.and a Rpm gearcase or another aluminum gearcase with metel motor Mount.I built my speed run rustler. with a old but very good tekin redline non sensored motor a offbrand esc That could be programmed with card to not need a sensore.some steel CVDs good set of hub bearing not bushing and gearcase bearing. and a few changes thru the years in a 2 cell lipo.. from 45c to 100c in the 5000 mah range never charged at more than 1.5C.Id go look for a RX8 with a large kv motor there are some in the 6400kv range,building a speed car means your not gonna have back n forth runs till your battery needs a change its down and back a few hundred feet and return to cool down till next run. thats it.You want speed let me know send me a IM then ill give you some pointers.