Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

What happened to tire glueing lately??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default What happened to tire glueing lately??

So Ive done a bunch of new tires lately with the M4 and S3 Buckshots on 1/8 and truggy all on AKA wheels with AKA premium tire CA glue. This has never failed me in the pasrt and I used 2 different bottles of glue so I dont think thats the issue.

I even dismounted in acetone a set and re-glued and still failed.

Wheels prep, sand with 100 grit around beads and clean with acetone on paper towel.

Tires - Clean bead are with acetone on paper towels making sure not to re-use and spread mold release, and im pushing hard and really cleaning here.

Mount - Place tires on wheels, add glue to inside bead and insure inside makes contact and glue is pushed to the outer side, and I rubber band with some pretty stiff tire bands that literally squeeze hard, and I let sit for 20 min at least per bead.

Race day - Tires flying off wheels??? So much work and I don't see whats going on here anymore :/
Old 07-14-2019, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ctrenks
So Ive done a bunch of new tires lately with the M4 and S3 Buckshots on 1/8 and truggy all on AKA wheels with AKA premium tire CA glue. This has never failed me in the pasrt and I used 2 different bottles of glue so I dont think thats the issue.

I even dismounted in acetone a set and re-glued and still failed.

Wheels prep, sand with 100 grit around beads and clean with acetone on paper towel.

Tires - Clean bead are with acetone on paper towels making sure not to re-use and spread mold release, and im pushing hard and really cleaning here.

Mount - Place tires on wheels, add glue to inside bead and insure inside makes contact and glue is pushed to the outer side, and I rubber band with some pretty stiff tire bands that literally squeeze hard, and I let sit for 20 min at least per bead.

Race day - Tires flying off wheels??? So much work and I don't see whats going on here anymore :/
acetone dissolves CA. Try Simple Green on the tire and wheel. dry thoroughly then glue. NO acetone.
a1, enare and MadKatt like this.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

acetone is gone before ca is applied, used to use simple green with not great results
Old 07-14-2019, 10:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ctrenks
acetone is gone before ca is applied, used to use simple green with not great results
the residue is still there. For years now including a few with high speed runs, Ive been using simple green in conjunction with a red scotch bright pad. I haven't had a tire come off of any brand wheel or tire since '02
DennyP likes this.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Gonna get some simple green tomorrow I still need to get some tire bands as well called 3 shops in town none had it and there was no amazon prime shipping on any either ( to get it here quick)long as I get by Friday will be all good.

Can someone advise whether it's necessary to trim any foam off these for the jconcepts 1/10 t6.1 tires YouTube video shows this Canadian hobby shop guy showing to do that
Old 07-15-2019, 01:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vegas7o2
Gonna get some simple green tomorrow I still need to get some tire bands as well called 3 shops in town none had it and there was no amazon prime shipping on any either ( to get it here quick)long as I get by Friday will be all good.

Can someone advise whether it's necessary to trim any foam off these for the jconcepts 1/10 t6.1 tires YouTube video shows this Canadian hobby shop guy showing to do that
Trimming pre-modeled foam is used as a tuning option. Depending on the manner trimming is done. It will make your tires fill softer to having the already broken in feel. But beware, a little goes a long way. I no longer trim my foams. Rarely I'll hole punch them in loamy low traction conditions.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:57 AM
Tech Adept

Use the concentrated simple green. That one works lot better
Old 07-15-2019, 04:53 AM
Tech Initiate

You need to look at HOW the bond is failing to understand what you are doing wrong. Is the glue coming off the wheel or the tire (leaving no glue behind on the wheel/tire), or is the glue itself cracking and remaining on both the wheel and tyre? The former suggests that the preparation of the wheel or tire is not adequate for the glue to adhere. Maybe your new wheels/tyres have more mould release on them that you're used to and require more aggressive preparation to prepare them for glue. The latter suggests not enough glue, faulty glue, or a bad fit between wheel and tire resulting in too much gap filling needing to be performed by the glue and brittle fractures developing within the glue layer.

Originally Posted by jlett21
the residue is still there. For years now including a few with high speed runs, Ive been using simple green in conjunction with a red scotch bright pad. I haven't had a tire come off of any brand wheel or tire since '02
Acetone itself doesn't leave a residue, unless your acetone is not pure (e.g. nail polish remover), contaminated or stored in an inappropriate plastic container which is resulting in dissolved plastic from the container mixing with the acetone. The finish that acetone leaves behind is because it has partially dissolved whatever it has come into contact with so for example a thin film of rubber could be left on the plastic, or the CA glue could be redistributed over the whole part in a thin film. If you're cleaning new parts only made of 1 type of material, and your acetone and cleaning tools aren't contaminated, generally it's not a problem.
It can also damage the surface of the parts which causes the surfaces to have a different texture e.g. a glossy part becomes matte or even slightly milky looking. A clean with IPA can remove then layers of other materials deposited during acetone cleaning since IPA is strong enough to break the bond between the part and the film, but not strong enough to dissolve the part. No amount of cleaning will restore a damaged surface finish. Restoring a glossy surface damaged by acetone requires abrasive polishing. A matte or milky surface on a plastic wheel or tyre due to acetone should present no hindrance to CA glue. Likewise, a thin film of CA glue generally does not hinder a new application of CA glue - dirt does. Don't forget that water is a solvent too, and some things like dirt are easily dissolved by water but not dissolved by acetone or IPA!
zipperfoot likes this.

Last edited by nbTMM; 07-15-2019 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:03 AM
Tech Regular

Ty all for the input, just frustrating to throw on new tires and see them blowing up on the first run. Ill start doing a multi part clean with simple green concentrate again, and the acetone is always new stored in orig can.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Take a dremel and scuff the beads down to the raw rubber. The mold release agent is still there in some tires and simple green, or similar cleaning agents, wont cut it. Raw rubber and fresh CA glue sticks to eathother like a leach to your balls.
mushroomed likes this.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

How old is the glue and how long has each bottle been open? Did you store it in the fridge?

Old glue or glue that has been exposed to air doesn’t adhere as well and starts to take longer to cure.

You can buy small needle-tip bottles (like bearing oil bottles) and these seal much better and you can use a lighter to melt any glue residue in the tip with each use.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Used the last of one bottle and cracked open a brand new bottle, same results.. looks like glue is not adhearing to the wheels, even though they were sanded and cleaned.

going to clean up again ans simple green them but I cant see that being cleaner than acetone
Old 07-15-2019, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Proline mold release is weird. I used to have the same issue until I heard Ty and Drake saying to use nothing but concentrated Simple Green to prep the bead. I've had almost no issues since switching to that method.
a1 likes this.

Last edited by MX304; 07-16-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:52 AM
Tech Regular

yeah its crazy, i havent really had issues until lately, AKA premium tire glue 2 bad batches??
Old 07-15-2019, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

as ole Adam put it simple green not diluted at all clean the tire real good. works great for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.