Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Competitive 4wd SCT

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

I race the scte v3,, im not a techno fan at all.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lesdi

Be cautious what you read, we have 20 SCT’s in my clubs, all the top ones are Losi SCTE, mine has had 8 rough race meetings and nothing even looks like breaking, no slop no wear, I have a friend with Techno and he wishes he had purchased Losi, I can’t see why different screws cause problems.
The issue with the screws is mainly that all of my current stuff is metric. If I add mixed ones I'll need to buy the tools. Not the end of the world, but quality hex sets aren't cheap.

Originally Posted by the rc guy
I race the scte v3,, im not a techno fan at all.
Any big reasons that stand out to you? My local shop will gladly get me either so parts currently shouldn't be a problem either way for me.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:43 AM
Bri
Tech Regular

The top three current 4WD SCT are -
1) Tekno SCT410.3
2) Losi SCTE 3.0
3) Team Redcat TR-SC10E

In the hands of a good driver, you can win with any of them. The TR-SC10E is the best one for those that are on a budget. If you boils some of the parts and switch to the Lunsford titanium front turnbuckle, it will hold up really well. I think in the end, it comes down to which one you like the best.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bri
1) Tekno SCT410.3
2) Losi SCTE 3.0
3) Team Redcat TR-SC10E

In the hands of a good driver, you can win with any of them. The TR-SC10E is the best one for those that are on a budget. If you boils some of the parts and switch to the Lunsford titanium front turnbuckle, it will hold up really well. I think in the end, it comes down to which one you like the best.
Losi Tenacity with Proformance upgrade kit is as close as you can get to a metric TEN-SCTE right now.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:51 AM
Tech Adept

If you want to win get the scte 3.0. We switched from the 410.3 last year and have multiple podiums since. We always felt we were chasing setup on the tekno. Out of the box with a few tweaks the tlr is money. Gray associated springs, 5/5/3 diffs, 1/2 degree more toe on the rear and away you go.. if you crash alot get the tekno, if you can wheel a car around the track and have the sense to check up when required you will regret anything other than the tlr. Its a dream
Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bri
1) Tekno SCT410.3
2) Losi SCTE 3.0
3) Team Redcat TR-SC10E

Currently run a TR-SC10e and it has been quite competitive. Only needed upgrades was the front bumper and the 24mm front upper turnbuckles to a Lunsford titanium version. Upgraded the servo to a Savox 1258 but left the stock electronics as they are Hobbywing 550 size stuff. The esc and motor run cool as ice and have zero cogging. They are some of the best stock electronics i have used.

With a minimal amount of setup i placed 3rd in a-main. The truck is dialed with 10k front, 10k center and 5k rear fluid. 40wt front with stock springs and 37.5wt rear with stock springs and a ride height of 28mm front/rear. Dialed the steering throw down a bit on my radio and its about perfect for my driving style. They have a ton of tuning options for them but i left the roll centers and such as they came out of the box. Doubt i would see an improvement if i did touch them.

Racing against seasoned drivers with everything from AE conversion trucks to Durango, Traxxas, TLR and Tekno with the a-main winner in a Tekno and 2nd place being an AE SC8 to 1/10 conversion.

At club level i think its more the driver than the truck(as long as it lasts). Ive seen guys get rid of a well rounded Slash or AE SC10 4x4 to get the newest and greatest truck yet fail to grasp the tuning and fall well short of their older trucks.
Bri likes this.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RazorRC
Losi Tenacity with Proformance upgrade kit is as close as you can get to a metric TEN-SCTE right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9rHWI_jPsQ

This is pretty interesting, and I wasn't aware they had these kinds of kits out there. This thread has been a lot of great info on peoples preferences on these kits. Making it really hard to choose, but so far it seems like I can't really go wrong with The TLR or Tekno.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

If anyone is curious looking back on this thread one day, after all the back and forth I ended up going to a 1/10th Truggy with the XT4. After talking with my local hobby shop and some local racers, the consensus was that 1/10 Truggy is really eating up the niche that 4WD SCT held in our area. A couple outdoor tracks near to me already run these in numbers that match 4WD SCT and sometimes exceed it, and a few indoor carpet and dirt tracks are looking at interest to bring a stock class of it to their tracks. With the age of the current competitive 4WD SCT kits out there, and several local tracks interested moving away from 4WD SCT in favor of 1/10 Truggy, not to mention interest in Tekno's offering and the brand new XT4 driving the class, pulling the trigger on it was an easy choice.
aspiringracer likes this.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Darkstorm05
If anyone is curious looking back on this thread one day, after all the back and forth I ended up going to a 1/10th Truggy with the XT4. After talking with my local hobby shop and some local racers, the consensus was that 1/10 Truggy is really eating up the niche that 4WD SCT held in our area. A couple outdoor tracks near to me already run these in numbers that match 4WD SCT and sometimes exceed it, and a few indoor carpet and dirt tracks are looking at interest to bring a stock class of it to their tracks. With the age of the current competitive 4WD SCT kits out there, and several local tracks interested moving away from 4WD SCT in favor of 1/10 Truggy, not to mention interest in Tekno's offering and the brand new XT4 driving the class, pulling the trigger on it was an easy choice.
Good call. At our outdoor track, we run a mod truck class, there is a mix of 4x4 truggy and SCT in the class and it is fun. The truggy generally has the advantage but the SCT guys are still happy.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

I've been know to run, 2wd SCT, 4wd SCT, then Truggy, to qualify in our weekly SCT/Truggy class. No one seems to mind. I then get practice with all 3, for the big races. In the main, I run whatever the fastest person is racing. So if there is a fast Truggy, I'll run the truggy in the main. I am a bit sad, that truggy seems to be killing 4x4 sct. I love ShortCourse, it is my favorite. But with lack of new 4x4 sct, and the new truggies, it is understandable.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

I know I'm a little late on posting......have you looked at Redcat Racing SC10E. It's been redesigned and for an RTR, simply nice. I like being different from everyone else at the track. I liked all brands, so.
Bri likes this.