Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

got 1st kit - please help with components

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 02:16 AM
Tech Initiate

So in my original reply, the one that vanished, I said that racing is not the purpose here.

My goal is to match peak 4s performance with a 6s system running well below it's peak. I also want to be able to run it on all kinds of surfaces, pavement to dirt and grass (maybe convert it to something totally different). I envision grabbing a few sets of tires various off and on road conditions so I can swap them on a whim - build a do-it-all buggy, even drifting perhaps... being new to this I am all over the place, I know that. The upside is, for a relatively small cost, I can change out motors and batteries all day long until I achieve an all-around outcome to my liking.

THANKS for the tip on the transmitter - shopping cart updated
Also, nice to know servos over 400 in-lbs are fine to use (I asked about this in the that vanished post as well). I will check out the Futaba mentioned!

Cheers!
Old 05-11-2019, 04:19 AM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

just to mention the main biggest difference is (sr) included in the new 4pm vs 4pv. sr only works with sr compatible servos and esc. also mush have the sr compatible receiver to bout.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:36 AM
Tech Adept

Xray for bashing, with race components, because Tekno is "pedestrian". I'd till you what I think but it would probably get me banned.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:37 AM
Tech Initiate

@ Killer Thanks for pointing that out!!!

I'm not following totalyosho's post. I think he wants to suggest a contradiction but those themes are not mutually inclusive. Kinda like saying you prefer cloudy weather but you don't eat okra. The gif is funny though.
killer rock likes this.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 05-11-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:48 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalmike
I'm not following totalyosho's post. I think he wants to suggest a contradiction but those themes are not mutually inclusive. Kinda like saying you prefer cloudy weather but you don't eat okra. The gif is funny though.
Most would see using a “race grade” XRay for bashing as a waste. I am kinda curious about what I didn’t like about the Tekno? Only know what I’ve read about them.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Wow, 5 posts max / day! Is that a temporary constraint because I am new? Anyway…

There is nothing I didn't like about the Tekno based on my research. Discussions with those in-the-know were also inconclusive. A competition racer at the LHS raves about xray. Two things led to my choice. I prefer European quality over China and I just liked the xray more, hence the term pedestrian was applied to the tekno, Meaning the tekno didn't excite me.

As far as a waste, I am not wasting just a buggy kit. Today I ordered a couple of pinion gears, various shock spring sets, some swaybar options, mud protectors, and stickers And... I also ordered the MKS HBL599, Futaba 4PM, Teking RX8 and T8 1550kV ESC & motor). I think it's going to be a pretty nice waste of a buggy and I am stoked. Should have all and start the build next week. I think I will name it "Wasted"

Thanks again for the help
Old 05-11-2019, 11:24 PM
Tech Adept

Without more details I took the most common definition of "pedestrian", which is "commonplace", and you can probably see how refusing to be seen with a high quality item just because it's too common can lead to considering that person slightly, slightly, vain.

Now that we have established that this wasn't what you meant, there is the race/super high end components issue. Overkill quite certainly, and again something you usually only see from people with more money than brains. By the time you can even tell the difference between these and stuff that's a third of the price, your will have been fully rebuilt twice.

We have a guy like that at the local track (surprise surprise, he drives an xray), and he constantly disses other rigs: Teknos are nice but oh is that Hobbywing, that's crap, Arrma? These are toys for kids. My toy car is better than your toy car lmao.
He doesn't seem to win much though.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalmike
Wow, 5 posts max / day! Is that a temporary constraint because I am new? Anyway…
No, its because you keep posting after your own posts, within the same timeframe, instead of editting your previous posts! Thats called running up your post count, and a bad idea!

Unless you are directly replying to a person that has posted after you, then thats ok. Or if you are constrained by the amount of photos you can post.

Has nothing to do with being new, its a rule "thing".
Old 05-12-2019, 04:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Totallyosho
Without more details I took the most common definition of "pedestrian", which is "commonplace", and you can probably see how refusing to be seen with a high quality item just because it's too common can lead to considering that person slightly, slightly, vain.

Now that we have established that this wasn't what you meant, there is the race/super high end components issue. Overkill quite certainly, and again something you usually only see from people with more money than brains. By the time you can even tell the difference between these and stuff that's a third of the price, your will have been fully rebuilt twice.

We have a guy like that at the local track (surprise surprise, he drives an xray), and he constantly disses other rigs: Teknos are nice but oh is that Hobbywing, that's crap, Arrma? These are toys for kids. My toy car is better than your toy car lmao.
Ahh, I see. condemned because I can afford quality. That's commonplace too. Usually the perpetrators are those who are budget constrained and settle for chinese knock-offs (even though they would choose better if they could afford it). "no brains' is just an insult, obviously having no basis. Whatever makes you feel better. I like high quality and can afford it - sorry. Furthermore, this simply isn't an expensive hobby - a single servo, 2 channel radio, difference between good and better is the cost of lunch... Even the difference between Xray and Tekno is the value a tank of gas and a movie (and apparently Tekno is equivalent - so it can't be about brand choice in this case). The best of the best for under $2k! Can't pull that off with any of my other "toys".

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
No, its because you keep posting after your own posts, within the same timeframe, instead of editting your previous posts! Thats called running up your post count, and a bad idea!

Unless you are directly replying to a person that has posted after you, then thats ok. Or if you are constrained by the amount of photos you can post.

Has nothing to do with being new, its a rule "thing".
My apology and thank you. Good to know!
Old 05-12-2019, 04:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Totallyosho

Why the animosity? It seems to me this is a great opportunity to welcome someone new into the RC industry rather than chase him off because he can afford to buy what he wants.
eR1c and metalmike like this.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:19 AM
Tech Champion

F the haters.

if you want to bash an x ray, go for it.

Xray still has the most complete kits and best instructions out there. Best plastic, and generally tough to beat durability.

Crappy equipment that fails often is no more fun in bashing than it is in racing.
eR1c and metalmike like this.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

I too suggest going 4s over 6s because it was what the buggy was probably more designed for. I would recommend tekin rx8 and either 1900 or 2050. Most people that race seem to prefer the 1900 I see. You could also use the Hobbywing XR8plus with there 1900 too. On servos either Hitec or Protek. Metal or Titanium Geared and 300 plus ounces torque.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:50 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Garet Jax
Why the animosity? It seems to me this is a great opportunity to welcome someone new into the RC industry rather than chase him off because he can afford to buy what he wants.
There’s has always been a segment that see “anything other then XRay” is waste.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Good luck fitting that battery in the body!! It won't fit. I had to turn a 4 s sideways just to get it to fit. Plan on getting a different body. If you bought a 6s the same height as a 4 s, then you have a chance. Make sure to get one the same height. It is already a tight squeeze as the body was really made for nitro.
metalmike likes this.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just checked my batteries dimensions and it is 46.6 mm wide, so you want to stay under 45, as 46.6 is tight and rubbing.
metalmike likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.