Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree211Likes

A CRY FOR HELP (RC tracks Closing)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

I've only been to 2 off road tracks with attached hobby shops. (one was an online shop)

Every single impressive and large track, that I've raced at, had no shop.

The absolutely best tracks, that I can think of, didn't even have power. We charged off of car batteries. Just a dirt track and a 13 foot drivers stand in a field somewhere. Today's soy boys would have a panic attack if they had to ''rough it''.
Scrubb likes this.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 03-14-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I really think tracks should be by an r/c club. Pay for monthly/annual fees. Find a property the club can afford (city or privately owned) and charge higher fees to non members for racing/practice.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phillip F
I really think tracks should be by an r/c club. Pay for monthly/annual fees. Find a property the club can afford (city or privately owned) and charge higher fees to non members for racing/practice.
I’d really like to read more about how an RC club works. I can’t see how it get passed the initial expense of a building or property. Especially in Midwest or east coast where indoor would basically be the only way to make it work.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:39 PM
Tech Champion

The same as any rifle and rod club.

For off road rc, I don't see any difference than a conservation club. Way easier actually. You won't need a permit for a rifle range. If those guys can pull it off, all over the country........
Old 03-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
The same as any rifle and rod club.

For off road rc, I don't see any difference than a conservation club. Way easier actually. You won't need a permit for a rifle range. If those guys can pull it off, all over the country........
Never been around either of those kind of clubs. Knew of one private shooting range. But it locked up 30 years ago. I know of a couple of gun ranges. Open to public.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

I’d really like to read more about how an RC club works. I can’t see how it get passed the initial expense of a building or property. Especially in Midwest or east coast where indoor would basically be the only way to make it work.
check out road runners r/c club in Camarillo CA... the off road and on road track are permanent and are located in a public park. They do races on Sundays and selected days for practice where in there is a generator and the lap timer is on. They announce those days in Facebook .
Old 03-14-2019, 07:28 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Phillip F
check out road runners r/c club in Camarillo CA... the off road and on road track are permanent and are located in a public park. They do races on Sundays and selected days for practice where in there is a generator and the lap timer is on. They announce those days in Facebook .
I’ve heard of that club over the years. It almost 2,000 miles away, somehow doubt I’ll ever get near it. It’s very impressive for it to still be going since 1974. But it’s hard to imagine in today’s world something like that. Plus being in California gives real option of it being used year round. Midwest you’ve got 20-25 weeks, and going to lose a few weekends to rain or other weather.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

In western canada there is only a few privately owned tracks. All the 1/8th tracks are run by clubs
Old 03-15-2019, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

google Medina Ohio .. RC track.. city owned.. operated by a RC club..
nice view in Google Earth..
Old 03-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Tech Prophet

I guess with the “ RC club” concept what I’m having problem understanding is how towns, suburb were convinced that it was a good idea. That it would actually be used. I look at turnout from last year at couple places. Typical is 20-40 people on a weekend. I can’t see a village granting use of land or a building for such a small number. Especially with today’s rent or property prices.

Now I know some will say look at public skateboarding parks. Around here it wasn’t the skaters that asked for these parks. It was the business owners that wanted them off their sidewalks, or out of their parking lots that pushed a few suburbs into opening them.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I guess with the “ RC club” concept what I’m having problem understanding is how towns, suburb were convinced that it was a good idea. That it would actually be used. I look at turnout from last year at couple places. Typical is 20-40 people on a weekend. I can’t see a village granting use of land or a building for such a small number. Especially with today’s rent or property prices.

Now I know some will say look at public skateboarding parks. Around here it wasn’t the skaters that asked for these parks. It was the business owners that wanted them off their sidewalks, or out of their parking lots that pushed a few suburbs into opening them.
From the same liability perspective you can argue points why RC needs a special place away from common public areas too

305M3 and I_NeedBigDrink like this.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by billdelong
From the same liability perspective you can argue points why RC needs a special place away from common public areas too

If there were groups of 10 or 20 running RC down sidewalks, interfering with businesses. Or taking over parking lots, then yes. Reality is that in the 9 years I’ve been in hobby, away from hobby store I’ve seen maybe a dozen people running vehicles. That’s not just my suburb. But including the 9-10 surrounding suburbs.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

If there were groups of 10 or 20 running RC down sidewalks, interfering with businesses. Or taking over parking lots, then yes. Reality is that in the 9 years I’ve been in hobby, away from hobby store I’ve seen maybe a dozen people running vehicles. That’s not just my suburb. But including the 9-10 surrounding suburbs.
I'm not talking about some po-dunk town in the midwest, I'm thinking about a larger scale across the nation as a whole... I've not caught any flak from the local sheriff dept when I have setup Outlaw tracks at the local school yard (I live in a suburb outside city limits), but I do see many municipalities that impose very stringent guidelines against RC:
Is it legal to run a rc vehicle in a park? - RCU Forums
Old 03-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by billdelong
I'm not talking about some po-dunk town in the midwest, I'm thinking about a larger scale across the nation as a whole... I've not caught any flak from the local sheriff dept when I have setup Outlaw tracks at the local school yard (I live in a suburb outside city limits), but I do see many municipalities that impose very stringent guidelines against RC:
Is it legal to run a rc vehicle in a park? - RCU Forums
I’m 30 miles south of Chicago. With what’s become Chicagoland, looking at 5 million plus. But I’d bet it’s only 100-200 active racers. Plenty that own. Just don’t ever see them out.

I’ve just always been curious has to how an RC club works. Unless someone owns them land or building, and gives an incredible discount. I don’t see how one could get started. I get the club part. But that usually just a group that meets up and run together. There’s a crawling/trail truck club. But it’s not like they have a place, they just go to different forest preserve or other similar locations.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Medina Ohio...Reagan Park...
google earth it..

is a City park... 4 baseball diamonds... a large fenced skateboard park... a 2 mile bicycle wooded trail around the park
pick-nick areas.... and the Large Fenced RC track... walking trail.....
paved parking in several areas..
even port-a-potties ...everywhere.
city does the mowing of the grass.. taking out the trash... everything of maintenance..

operating for YEARS...
visit there website..... for more information..

you want to know... ask them.
contact the City ... and / or the RC club..
your answers are not on this forum.. contact the places that are Working..

Last edited by chuck_thehammer; 03-15-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.