Search
Like Tree32Likes

Yup, this happened.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Swosh

Yup, this happened to Toni Phalen, which triggered him to make this excellent article, explaining why lipos in RCs are of a more dangerous kind than the lipos in laptops / smartphones:

LiPo Battery Safety

The only thing one can object is that he didn't charge his lipo in a bag. Now it certainly wouldn't have contained the fire.

But anyway a bag certainly does not help a hot lipo cool down.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you suggesting that the danger of lipo batteries is unacceptable? In that case, what recommendations do you offer?

Should lipo batteries be banned?
Old 08-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 071crazy
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you suggesting that the danger of lipo batteries is unacceptable? In that case, what recommendations do you offer?

Should lipo batteries be banned?
Whether the danger of lipos is acceptable or not is a subjective decision that everyone has to make for themselves.

It is a fact though that lipos are very sensitive. Overcharge, overheat, deep undercharge, unbalance between cells, shortcut, puncture, even no visible reason... It doesn't require stupidity or gross negligence to cause a fire. Claiming that lipos are safe when used properly is no statement for safety: to be safe lipos should be able to take some beating while remaining stable (as with old nicad batteries).

Personally I am not willing to trade in safety and risk a fire for a better battery. I don't want a product that has to be handled like Hannibal Lecter for improved performances.

Should lipos be banned? In my opinion no. I am surprised though that they are allowed and wouldn't object if they were to be banned.

I hope the next generation of batteries will be safer. LiFe batteries are said to be better but still in development phase. Right now nimh seems a better alternative TO ME.

I read that increasing the voltage could help lower the amps while getting the same result, which would result in less heat. I am not an engineer and so I am not too sure about that.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

A123 batteries are still the brand and battery to go 2 way safer .idiot proof just lacking the voltage we in the rc hobby like.but I have managed , 3.6 volts can be multiplied many ways to get voltage I need. no charging bad box or vault needed
kufman likes this.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Yup, this happened to Toni Phalen, which triggered him to make this excellent article, explaining why lipos in RCs are of a more dangerous kind than the lipos in laptops / smartphones:

LiPo Battery Safety

The only thing one can object is that he didn't charge his lipo in a bag. Now it certainly wouldn't have contained the fire.

​​​​​​​But anyway a bag certainly does not help a hot lipo cool down.
Thanks. I asked him. He says it did happen while charging.

Last edited by ta_man; 08-01-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Whether the danger of lipos is acceptable or not is a subjective decision that everyone has to make for themselves.

It is a fact though that lipos are very sensitive. Overcharge, overheat, deep undercharge, unbalance between cells, shortcut, puncture, even no visible reason... It doesn't require stupidity or gross negligence to cause a fire. Claiming that lipos are safe when used properly is no statement for safety: to be safe lipos should be able to take some beating while remaining stable (as with old nicad batteries).

Personally I am not willing to trade in safety and risk a fire for a better battery. I don't want a product that has to be handled like Hannibal Lecter for improved performances.

Should lipos be banned? In my opinion no. I am surprised though that they are allowed and wouldn't object if they were to be banned.

I hope the next generation of batteries will be safer. LiFe batteries are said to be better but still in development phase. Right now nimh seems a better alternative TO ME.

I read that increasing the voltage could help lower the amps while getting the same result, which would result in less heat. I am not an engineer and so I am not too sure about that.
If lipo packs are that scary to you, then the only solution is to stay away from tracks until they go away. Just forget about the fact that ni-mh packs do explode from time to time as well.
Andy Koback and Swosh like this.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:44 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If lipo packs are that scary to you, then the only solution is to stay away from tracks until they go away. Just forget about the fact that ni-mh packs do explode from time to time as well.
Yup, NiMH's are scary when they let go.

Lipo batteries are plenty safe. If you do something stupid they will have a problem. I've been using Lipo's for 10 years and have never had a lipo go up in flames. I've pushed lipos to the point where I knew to stop using them. If you pay the slightest bit of attention to what you are doing lipo batteries are safe.

Oh, lipo bags have ratings. If you spend the money on a good lipo bag, rated for the size of batteries you use, it will provide the level of protection if something does happen. I cycle my packs at 10C+ and always in a lipo bag. I have a charger that lets me understand the health of my batteries, so I feel perfectly safe using my batteries like this. Other people, that is a different story.
Swosh and slackinoff like this.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by urnotevenwrg2

Lipo batteries are plenty safe. If you do something stupid they will have a problem. I've been using Lipo's for 10 years and have never had a lipo go up in flames. I've pushed lipos to the point where I knew to stop using them. If you pay the slightest bit of attention to what you are doing lipo batteries are safe.
Exactly. There are so many everyday items that are just as, if not more dangerous than lipos. A kitchen knife can be deadly if used incorrectly. Does that mean that we should ban knives?
Swosh and slackinoff like this.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have been using LiFe batteries for 10 years in high end RC sailplanes, news to me they are still under development. They are a good replacement for nimhs, not so much for LiPos.
Swosh likes this.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for sharing, glad your insurance is working with you but crazy that it's totalled! I have never thought to charge from the lighter, I always just pop the hood and charge on the ground sinesmy charger came with big alligator clamps.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

Oh, lipo bags have ratings. If you spend the money on a good lipo bag, rated for the size of batteries you use, it will provide the level of protection if something does happen.
*runs over to lipo bag to check rating, finds no rating anywhere on bag.

I did not know this. If the bag is rated, I assume that rating will be printed somewhere on the bag?

Old 08-06-2018, 08:01 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by slackinoff
*runs over to lipo bag to check rating, finds no rating anywhere on bag.

I did not know this. If the bag is rated, I assume that rating will be printed somewhere on the bag?
This Protek bag description says \/
​​​​​​
"Not recommended for batteries exceeding 30 watt-hours"

This bag specifies the same 30 watt-hours limit.

This,

this,

and this all have ratings mentioned in their titles and descriptions. There are limits to what these safety measures can handle. Whether or not you select a bag (or whatever else) that will let you know the limit is up to you.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Yup, NiMH's are scary when they let go.

Oh snap!

(see what I did there? )
Old 08-07-2018, 04:58 PM
Tech Champion

Exactly. There are so many everyday items that are just as, if not more dangerous than lipos. A kitchen knife can be deadly if used incorrectly. Does that mean that we should ban knives?
Pretty sure the UK has been trying to do that for a while. I recall they had a design competition to see if anyone could design a chef's knife that couldn't be used for stabbing. The winning entry had a rounded tip with a tiny letter-opener point at the bottom for slicing open trays of meat. Not sure if they ever actually mandated that all new cooking knives use the design, though.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by belewis01
I have been using LiFe batteries for 10 years in high end RC sailplanes, news to me they are still under development. They are a good replacement for nimhs, not so much for LiPos.
LiFePO4 batteries aren't 50 years old like nickel batteries are, so they're still working on making them as safe and inexpensive as possible. By the time my generation's kids are adults I expect that lithium battery fires will be almost un-heard-of.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Batteries should always be charge while watching them and never unattended. Specially not in a car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.