2s lipo on 1/8th scale buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Hua
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default 2s lipo on 1/8th scale buggy?

Hello everyone

I have a old Mp 7.5 buggy which i plan to convert it to brush-less setup.

Electronics are:
HW XR8 Plus ESC
HW G2 1900KV motor
Revolectrix 7700mah 70C hardcase pack.

Is it advisable to use a 2s lipo? Since the weight of the car had been reduce using 1 Lipo pack, Will the run time & temperature on motor & ESC make difference comparing to 4S or more?.

Also I Mainly used for bashing.

Regards,
Old 11-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hua
Hello everyone

I have a old Mp 7.5 buggy which i plan to convert it to brush-less setup.

Electronics are:
HW XR8 Plus ESC
HW G2 1900KV motor
Revolectrix 7700mah 70C hardcase pack.

Is it advisable to use a 2s lipo? Since the weight of the car had been reduce using 1 Lipo pack, Will the run time & temperature on motor & ESC make difference comparing to 4S or more?.

Also I Mainly used for bashing.

Regards,
It would not be advisable to use one 2s lipo in that type of vehicle with those electronics. It would run extremely slow.

You could however use two 2s lipo batteries and connect them to the ESC with a "series" adapter which makes the ESC see them as a 4s lipo. That's if you already have a bunch of 2s packs with the same specs. Otherwise definitely stick with a 4s lipo for that setup if you want to bash and have the battery last a while.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A 1900 KV motor will not work on 2s. You won't be able to get enough gearing. To make 2s work you need around a 4000kv motor. However, you will be much better off using the setup you have on 4s. You will have better run times, and no issues with heat as long as you gear it properly. 2s is just not efficient enough for 1/8 vehicles.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Get a SMC 4s lipo and have some real fun!
Old 11-13-2017, 08:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd say a 550 motor would be more appropriate if you want to go that route. It'll save weight over the 1/8 size motor, and it's designed for 2S voltage.

There are people running lightweight buggy classes for indoor, and tekno makes an "SL" version of their buggy intended for running 2S with a 550 motor.

it's one of those things you gotta try and decide.

A buggy chassis is basically the same as an 1/10 SCT (buggy track width is 1cm wider), and Durango was using their new 1/8 buggy chassis as an SCT. Even if it is the same speed/power as an SCT, it'll be stronger and handle better, especially jumping.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:00 AM
Hua
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredygump
I'd say a 550 motor would be more appropriate if you want to go that route. It'll save weight over the 1/8 size motor, and it's designed for 2S voltage.

There are people running lightweight buggy classes for indoor, and tekno makes an "SL" version of their buggy intended for running 2S with a 550 motor.

it's one of those things you gotta try and decide.

A buggy chassis is basically the same as an 1/10 SCT (buggy track width is 1cm wider), and Durango was using their new 1/8 buggy chassis as an SCT. Even if it is the same speed/power as an SCT, it'll be stronger and handle better, especially jumping.
Which 550 motor are there on the market? Will the motor mount require to be custom machined as well instead of getting EP conversion kit.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you already have the motor and ESC, just buy a 4s lipo from SMC, they are about $40 to $60.

Not sure why you would want to run on 2s and buy a completely new and different motor.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hua
Which 550 motor are there on the market? Will the motor mount require to be custom machined as well instead of getting EP conversion kit.
The bolt pattern will be the same on both the 1/8 motor and 540/550 motor, so the smaller motor will mount exactly the same as the 1/8 motor.

(I don't know if you need a conversion kit. I don't know the exact car you are using, or if it is designed for electric or nitro? If it is an electric kit, you won't need to change anything. But if it is nitro, you would need to do the same conversion, regardless of what size motor you choose.)

I don't think I'll be much help on motors. I usually use Tekin stuff, so I'd go for a Pro4HD or T8i (both are 550 size--the T8i is a little bigger). The T8i is designed for light weight indoor 1/8 buggies--essentially what you're doing.

Probably just get a 550 size from a brand you trust. I don't know what brands are available in your area.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:54 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

550 motors that have the proper kv on 2S can be had for around $60 - $100 depending on brand. A driver I know would put on a great racing show in the amain with is 1/8 EB48SL using 2S lipo and 550 SMC motor, making the full 10 minute main on the PRCP Raceway track.

I used a similar vehicle but a 4S 3600mah SMC battery with the T8I motor 1950kv for similar weight. worked great too, and ran cooler than his (he ran a fan).

If you have more than one 1 lipo and it has the 5mm bullets that pass thru the pack, you can do a male to male 5mm bullet connector to make battery connection easier (connect the negative to the positve of the other battery, then, just your normal bullet connections)