Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
I am thinking about opening a New Indoor Off road Track. >

I am thinking about opening a New Indoor Off road Track.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree87Likes

I am thinking about opening a New Indoor Off road Track.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

We are doing a track here that we cannot keep down on a long term basis, the biggest factor is being able to secure the carpet relative to the cost of using sufficient taping methods to keep it still. And then, the clean up afterwards from residue on the floor. Its coming along, but I am curious on how it works out for other mobile tracks running on say ozite to both keep the carpet flat and still have a fast tear down.
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Here's a recent clip from a local (covered/outdoor) turf track, I asked Ryan to test drive my car to help me test/tune my car's setup during a race clinic he co-hosted last week and then I shot some video during the tuning session.... to me this is the sweet spot of jumps and features with a nice flowing layout to handle 10-12 cars reasonably on a 60' x 100' track:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

most fast guys are running around 20 sec laps in stock and around 19 sec laps in mod
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I like how the jumps are. not too abrupt.
billdelong and realfast1 like this.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

Our past few winter seasons have been temporary tracks. The crew that runs them uses wood for jumps and sheets of astro carpet (longer pile) that also allows for quick track changes.

Was nice just having to blow off the cars at the end of the runs compared to our outdoor dirt track where a rebuild is necessary on those "wet" days! I'd have to think the dirt is too messy inside, can't imagine the clean-up if ever needed.

Our onroad track is a setup / tear down in a day race every second weekend type of track. It works well since our setup allows for storing the track parts at the location.
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

My $0.02

Rules - think it through and establish good ones. If you're running turf or carpet decide what kinds of tires will be used before opening (rubber slick, rubber spike, or foam) and make it a rule. The wandering tire game can kill interest.

Control class-creep. If you wind up with a ton of classes your track could wind up being under participated and over time-burdened. Racing is always healthier when class count is controlled and it encourages racers to commit to classes and your track. If interest explodes, think about a "buggy night" or "SCT Saturday". Lots of racers are time constrained and morning to night racing just isn't practical for many.

And dirt. Turf and carpet is good for places where it rains a lot (like the UK) but a dirt track is authentic off road racing. When new racers see it and try it, they know it's special. I know clay is popular, many tracks in the Midwest use triple sifted topsoil. It's a rich dark dirt that sets up a lot like clay, holds up well, but is very easy to break up and work with. No need for chemicals, either.
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
If I was going to open a track, I think I'd do carpet with wood jumps. From a business perspective you'll have a cleaner facility that is easier to keep clean. And you'll probably be able to get by with a cheaper property if you don't need to be able to haul in truck-loads of dirt. Plus, then you don't need a water system. If you get the demand for it, you could even double up with on-road racing.
This is what my local track (Banana Raceway) does. They moved to sunday racing from wednesday and it's taking a while to get people to drop family time for toy car time.

As for a portable track, that's how most UK clubs run, i local school halls etc. No reliance on a hobby shops success.