Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
I am thinking about opening a New Indoor Off road Track. >

I am thinking about opening a New Indoor Off road Track.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree87Likes

I am thinking about opening a New Indoor Off road Track.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 06:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crash n go
Something to think about. One of the guys in our area rents space at the fairgrounds and builds a temporary carpet off-road track. It is alot of work to setup but keeps the expenses lower not having to own a shop for all the other non race days. This could help build your customer base and give you an idea of what you are getting into before you go all in. You will need help from the racers to pull this off though. He offers day before practice to entice the builders. Build the track and then practice.
That is Good Info.

Thank you.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:36 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by billdelong
I would talk to the Allison's over here, they have 2 generations of track ownership experience:
https://www.facebook.com/ThornhillRacingCircuit/

This week is probably a bad time to get feedback because they're in the middle of rebuilding the 1/8 track for a big race this weekend, however they recently converted the 1/10 track from clay to turf and they've said it was the best thing they ever did... almost no maintenance and very easy to make track layout changes in very short time, plus tire wear is far better. Pretty sure Chris said his only regret was not switching to turf sooner.

I would probably take a few road trips and visit many tracks in the area to get a better understanding of what's common between them so your racers will have comparable amenities.
Yes we are planing on going around to a handful of Tracks to talk with the racers.

Thank you for the Info.
billdelong likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

real dirt!
Big_Show and realfast1 like this.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've raced indoor carpet, turf and clay.

As a racer I would choose to race on clay over carpet or turf any day.
tc5 man, Big_Show and realfast1 like this.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default New track

IMO,
Whatever type of track you decide to open, make it look great, and have as much space as possible so everyone isn't cramped in a confided space. When I walk into a place like OCRC, you know you're in a world class place and track. Other places are just a rented warehouse with dirt or clay in it. Not that those places aren't fun, and still a place to run your vehicles, but the world class place is going to make it successful.

If you go carpet or turf, again, make sure it's a well built track, not just some carpet or turf thrown on top of some wood, and a couple of poorly built jumps. I see some videos with those types of tracks. Although it is a place to run your vehicles, it just st looks cheap and thrown together without much care.
Make sure whatever type of track it is, it's a medium to large track to be able to make some great track configurations, elevation changes, etc. A bigger track enables drivers to use speed, use their technical skills, and their jumping skills. Also, a tall Drivers stand so the vehicles can be totally seen no matter where it is on the track. A low Drivers stand makes it hard to see the vehicle if it's stuck on the other side of a jump or corner hidden by a jump.

An area that needs a track is around the Montclair area, close to where Pegasus Hobbies and Revelations Raceway is located. There are lots of people from the surrounding areas that don't have a track to go to unless they travel minimum of an hour to get to. That area seems to be in the center of everywhere. There are tracks in Santa Clarita, Victorville, Huntington Beach, and I'm sure others I'm missing, but none in the center of all of those tracks. The Montclair area, or near there would be a central area to those other tracks.

Again, just my opinion.
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

More experienced drivers tend to prefer clay which is typically more loose and a variable where they can find advantages with tire prep and saucing methods to perform better than the average joe's. Racing on carpet and turf tend to be far more consistent with unlimited traction which in turn promotes closer racing in general. The separation in skill really starts to happen on loose pack 1/8 tracks where drifting skills are key. I've heard more than one driver mention that they miss drifting corners on the new turf track, but the trade off of having longer tire wear to ease the sting on our wallets is more than worth the trade off.
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

DIRT TRACK!

i finally when to a track lash weekend for the first time ever(i have never even been to a track before) and i must say, dirt is much funner to drive on then carpet!
also,racing seems to be a lot about hitting jumps just right,im not to fond of jumps though but hey! if most people didint like it they would say something right? it must just be me
tc5 man and realfast1 like this.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dirt. However, unless you're going to use hardpacked clay, you'll have to invest in cleaning equipment because sticky dust will get everywhere.
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

If in So Cal and with in an hour build it and we will come.
rgrg2 and realfast1 like this.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

HERE IS HOW I SEE IT , WHAT ARE THE REASONS FOR EACH TRACK AND ARE YOU IN IT TO MAKE A BUCK OR ARE YOU SET AND JUST DONT WANT TO LOOSE A LOT LOL.

TURF / CARPET TRACKS ARE GOING TO BE CHEAPER IN THE LONG RUN, LAYOUT CHANGES ARE FAST AND TRACK MAINTENANCE IS MUCH LOWER.

FOR THE DRIVER AT THE ENTRY LEVEL I THINK TURF / CARPET IS BETTER ALSO AS THERE IS VERY LITTLE TIRE PREP IT IS NORMALLY GLUE AND GO.

THERE IS A TRACK IN TUCSON THAT JUST MADE A VERY NICE PAVEMENT ONROAD TRACK LOT OF EXPENSE THERE, THE TRACK REQUIRES TO PURCHASE TIRES AT THE HOBBY SHOP IN ORDER TO RACE OR PRACTICE THEY HAVE A SET TIRE THEY USE.

IF SOLD AT A DECENT PRICE I LIKE THAT IDEA AS IT TAKES ANOTHER ELEMENT OF SET UP AND GUESS WORK ON BUYING TIRES OUT OF THE EQUATION FOR THE DRIVER. IN THE END IT WOULD BE CHEAPER FOR ME IF THERE WAS ONLY ONE OPTION AND THEY WERE AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW AT THE TRACK.

JUST SOME THOUGHTS
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Try somewhere in the valley. There is nothing between OCRC and Roadrunners, which is a shame. The IE already has several tracks. The LA/valley based drivers have a long way to go to get to anything.
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Why are you YELLING AT US! LOL
billdelong, Finalist and realfast1 like this.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

As far as the dirt / carpet argument I say do both. Use a good clay for the base, then put carpeted wood jumps on it. Easy to change layout and consistent jump faces with the clay for straights and turns.
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by realfast1
I have been in Performance Automotive Retail Management for 25 Plus Years
OK good! The number one reason tracks fail in my opinion is people just dont understand how hard the business side is and thinks it will be easy
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by MX304
As far as the dirt / carpet argument I say do both. Use a good clay for the base, then put carpeted wood jumps on it. Easy to change layout and consistent jump faces with the clay for straights and turns.
That is something to think about!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.