Like Tree2Likes

No Prep Electronics.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 07:50 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default No Prep Electronics.

What are good ESCs for NP drag racing? I have a large collection of HobbyWings and would like to keep it that way. Would a XR10 Pro be good for this or should I be looking for a NP or SC focused ESC.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:58 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quite a many are using the XR10 Pro esc, or the Elite. Seen some posting on using the XR8 SCT.

I went a different route with Maclan and Tekin on my rigs.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Lots of people use the XR10 pro. I started with one and moved to the Maclan. I would start with not a lot of turbo or boost to get the car tracking straight. I started with none at first. Then added turbo. Then played with boost. Not sure if thats best..but what I tried.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What was the reason or benefit that you switched to the Maclan?
Old 03-26-2021, 11:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The maclan has 3 and now 5 stage launching making tuning easier. I can have the car launch at like 60%, then ramp up in stages, and throw turbo in on the big end. Car barely gets on the bar.

I bought a complete nprc from someone who lost interest for a steal. Thats how I started with HW. I struggled a bit (probably me) with getting the HW consistent. I used one of the tunes that came with the Maclan and was instantly faster and consistent.

You can go fast with any of theses esc that have boost/turbo. You just have figure out the best way to tune them.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:31 PM
Suspended

My DRC Slashdit, which is my 13.5 rig, is running A Maclan MMax Pro 160 with the DRK Lite firmware with the 3 stage launch control. Pushing a Maclan MMR3 13.5 that I may run a more torque rotor in.

My Chuckworks RedShift will have the DRK pusing the Pre DRK 4.5 Drag Spec motor with the DRK rotor installed in it. ( have do put the rotor in yet, and install both into the rig) (This is the rotor I will put into the 13.5)

My TARP OMB Stage III rig has a Tekin RX8 Gen 3 that I will be updating to the newest firmware with turbo and boost, and it will be pushing a Trinity 3.5 DM Holeshot.

I'll likely end up with a DR10 Kit and use this SW4 on a 7700 or 9000kv motor in.

And I'll get a Losi and the Traxxas Drag Truck when they are released, and they'll stay stock motor and esc, though the traxxas will get a new steering servo at least. lol
Old 03-27-2021, 07:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default No Prep ESC

I am building a new Outlaw car, and have a Maclan DRK 160; very flexible multi-stage tuning options. Two DRK limitations are the max 3.5 turn motor and 2-pole motor constraints. The Tekin RX8 Gen3 ESC is another competitive option that can run in dual mode, and handle lower turn 2- or 4-pole motors.

Lack of supply is a general issue the hobby is currently facing currently
Old 03-28-2021, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hobbywing xr10pro g2 is a great unit. Try 5 boost and have it come in starting at
12500 rpm and stretch it out to 45000 rpm.
Add your turbo starting with 10° with a delay of.25
Old 03-31-2021, 11:43 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

First, glad to see this NP section. Anyone know what is going on with the Maclan and tekin ESC supply chain? I cant find the RX8 or the 160 DRK anywhere.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:30 PM
Suspended

I would say the lack of product is a multi level issue.
1. The politicalization of this entire rona thing worldwide to usher in their great reset as Trudeau spoke about a few months ago now how its a "Good Opertunity".
2. Chinese New Years, which lasts an entire month in February I think it is. They shut down the entire country pretty much. Many of the products are manufactured there, or parts for the products are.
3.The Really Fast Rise in No Prep as a whole here in the States. Its become so popular so fast, customer bases have probably grew 5 fold if not 10. So what used to be 5 customers is not 50 or more. Its just exploded in popularity and that has taxed every manufacturer.
Trying to find an LCG conversion pack is like finding GOLD in the Yukon almost today. lol
4. Shipping lanes being blocked by other big ships and other ships having problems moving stuff certainly hasn't helped.

Looks like stock of things is starting to roll in. Question now is, will it be enough to satisfy back orders and current demand?
DRK has been doing Pre Orders every Friday for stuff they are getting themselves (not sold to distributors). They open the presales and its Out of Stock literally in minutes if not seconds. lol

I was lucky enough to be able to get a DRK ESC and a GEN 8 in Dec and Jan, otherwise, like most, I'd be in the hurry up and wait mode on them.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Yea, makes sense. I actually work in Supply chain for a Pump company where 90% of components come from China and our stuff is flowing good now. Guess the electronics still lagging behind.

Thanks for the info on preordering an I will try that tomorrow. Have a new DR10 build on Renegade chassis planning to start with 13.5 class. I have Tekin rs pro that I can use but looks like from this thread Maclan is the way to go.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:33 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Revismi
Yea, makes sense. I actually work in Supply chain for a Pump company where 90% of components come from China and our stuff is flowing good now. Guess the electronics still lagging behind.

Thanks for the info on preordering an I will try that tomorrow. Have a new DR10 build on Renegade chassis planning to start with 13.5 class. I have Tekin rs pro that I can use but looks like from this thread Maclan is the way to go.
Aye. Seems nearly everything we make that is Needed to Secure our Nation, Is made in China today..... smdh.

Don't count that Tekin out just yet. If it is a Gen3, Tekin has new Firmware, With boost and Turbo settings, as well as similar stuff to the Maclan DRK, but only for th Gen 3 ESCs.
You can only get the firmware from their Fakebook page right now, as that is where they Beta Test before moving it to the Google App Store and IOS.
I have it on my puter, just need to get it loaded to the RX8 that's pushing the Trinity DM 3.5 in my TARP OMB 6001 Stage III rig.
Besides the 13.5 class is Blinky Mode ESC, but motor timing is allowed.
I have a Maclan MMax 160 I bought for my RedShift rig just before the DRK were announced. Kind of bummed me. But then I built a 13.5 rig and that is where the MMax will go in blinky mode. Piked up a DRK ESC for the Redshift.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Great, I happen to be old school with no FB Sounds like I may try the tekin because it is a Gen3 redline motor combo for 13.5 class. I will wait on the Maclan to match with the 3.5T R1 motor in Eliminator class.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
Hobbywing xr10pro g2 is a great unit. Try 5 boost and have it come in starting at
12500 rpm and stretch it out to 45000 rpm.
Add your turbo starting with 10° with a delay of.25
Would you recommend this setup for a 4.5t motor 84/22?
Dabullman likes this.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default RX8

Originally Posted by Revismi
First, glad to see this NP section. Anyone know what is going on with the Maclan and tekin ESC supply chain? I cant find the RX8 or the 160 DRK anywhere.
Tekin just announced they've received the parts to start assembling more RX-8s and we should be seeing them again here soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.