Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Vaterra Twin Hammers Setups? >

Vaterra Twin Hammers Setups?

Vaterra Twin Hammers Setups?

Old 02-26-2015, 06:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Vaterra Twin Hammers Setups?

Hello there!
I've been off FOREVER, and I have yet to catch up on some new stuff.

I'm interested in the Vaterra Twin Hammers Kit, and would like to use brushless, while still having it be waterproof. If anyone has any setups or any suggestions, I'm looking to pay around $600-700 for all of this, (based on the RCDriver review of it).

I'm looking for an:
ESC
Motor
Servo
Battery
And radio and receiver that are waterproof, or some way to seal the receiver box.
If I forgot anything, this proves my earlier point

It would be a big help if you could point me to a Twin Hammers thread or the electronics themselves.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2015, 07:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Depends where and how you want to run it.

For general bashing around in the dirt and occasional rock use, any waterproof BL system will drop right in. Most I've seen use 3000-4000kv range. Low gear helps with the cogging of a sensorless system and it's not as noticeable.

If looking for more trail and rock use, go sensored, though waterproof sensored is a bit harder to find - you can do it yourself if you're so inclined. Brushed might be better in this scenario.

There is no receiver box stock. You're on your own with that one. Traxxas box or the tried and true balloon would be the way to go.

Any "shorty" battery can fit, and 1/16 packs work great. I use Traxxas 1/16 packs and they work fine. I like the smaller packs as it's less weight out back.

Be aware it does not handle high speed high grip situations at all, even with the swaybars. COG is just too high...any kind of pavement running is sketchy. It's a total blast in the dirt though.

That all I have, I tried the high speed thing and didn't care for it. Mine is set up for rock/trail duty only. 35t brushed, single speed converted and locked diff up front.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Talking

I'm going more for a trail setup, as I live near a creek and some good trails. Using a Traxxas receiver box is a great idea, thanks! I'll go with the sensored motor, and what are your thoughts on a Dynamite Tazer ESC?

I also definitely know I'll put a waterproof Spektrum Servo in it too, along with either a:

2S 2200 mAh TRX Battery
https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...mah-74v-2S-25C

Or a 3S 1400 mAh TRX Battery
https://traxxas.com/products/parts/2823X

I also have an idea of what I want to do with it aesthetically. I'm using a bit of what I saw in a YouTube video of another Twin Hammers. I'll call it the MadBass Style, after the YouTuber's channel name.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fdv-S5YIq4

I would like it as the file attached shows: (If theres no file I goofed up)

The nose piece surrounded by red will be cut off, leaving the cage exposed and ready for the light bar.

It's harder to notice, and I goofed up on the color a bit, but there is a red triangle on the side of the truck, which I will cut out and cover with mesh from the inside.

The orange lines on the little flare/wing things on the side are gonna go, but the lexan will be cut into the shape of the large green triangle next to it and zip tied on.

The smaller green triangles 'tword the back will be other lexan scraps of something, with my lucky number 13 on them, of course.

The wheels will be painted the main body color, which will either be orange, white, blue/orange, or purple (I know it's weird, but its cool, trust me)

I know this has gotten REALLY long, but I enjoy you putting up with this lol

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Vaterra Twin Hammers Setups?-vth-mockup.jpg  
Old 03-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Look into modding the front suspension and steering pretty early on. Those are the two weakest points in the truck IMO. Also, on 3s power I found it quick enough to be uncontrollable in high gear with a 27 turn motor. I ended up running a 55 turn mostly on trails and rocks. Perfect for crawling in lower gear but a little slow in the open in high gear.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by forty2
Look into modding the front suspension and steering pretty early on. Those are the two weakest points in the truck IMO. Also, on 3s power I found it quick enough to be uncontrollable in high gear with a 27 turn motor. I ended up running a 55 turn mostly on trails and rocks. Perfect for crawling in lower gear but a little slow in the open in high gear.
I just noticed that OSRC's TH was modded with upright suspension, so I'll look into it.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Wickedwolf R/C
I just noticed that OSRC's TH was modded with upright suspension, so I'll look into it.
There are a lot of improvements that can be made to a stock TH, but upright suspension is going to really be the biggest one. I'm rather fond of the GCM upright suspension kit myself but there are plenty of ways you can do it.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:21 AM
Tech Initiate

I found a couple things on the suspension:

A dual shock kit for the rear suspension, which is amazeballs:
http://www.bluemonkeyrc.com/catalog/...roducts_id=232

A bird told me once that carbon fiber didn't like water, (Actually, I drove with my carbon fiber chassis into water. It didn't end well.) so I found this:
http://www.bluemonkeyrc.com/catalog/...roducts_id=225

And a bellcrank steering conversion:
http://www.bluemonkeyrc.com/catalog/...roducts_id=251

I would also like to know if any of you have tried putting Traxxas
Revo shocks in the TH. It seems as if it may work, but I will try once I get it. (In 2016 or so.)

I think this does it!
Old 03-07-2015, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

I didn't find the rear suspension to be too lacking as far a function is concerned.

I wouldn't bother with trying to improve the existing front suspension design with the metal shock mount. Money in the front is far better spent upgrading to vertical shock mounting.

Switching to bellcrank steering is a massive improvement. Do that for sure.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Tech Initiate

The front suspension mod is something I will definitely invest in, along with the bellcrank steering. I've heard that the front chassis brace needs upgrading, so I'll get it anyway. I may also get the dual rear shocks to see what it does to the performance.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

My 2 cents - the stock rear suspension is butter. I added some parts for looks mainly, but have had no issues out back, slow or fast. Haven't had to crack open the rear shocks at all either. I would like threaded shock bodies though, the pinch collars work ok, but it's not 1990.

I did add the swaybar out there though, it was a little too flexy for me.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Great info in this thread. Let's keep it going. I just picked up a Twin Hammers and will be doing some of these modifications.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Check out the GCM front upright shock plate and the Sr. Irie bellcrank. It's a way better set up than the BM one, I've had both and speak from experience plus BM parts take entirely too long to get to your door.