Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
new guy questions >

new guy questions

new guy questions

Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default new guy questions

Ok guys just picked up a hpi CK, I am a nitro buggy guy and this stuff is very new to me, so I have a couple of questions. I have a Dynamite brushless system and was wondering can you put that into it? or do you have to have a certain type of motor esc combo? Also with stock set up can I run lipo or am I stuck to Nimh? Any help with setting up a CK into a bad ass is what im looking for. Thanks. Also is there a CK thread? I didnt see one.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Ttt
Old 06-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

What motor is with your brushless setup?
Are you wanting your Crawler King to be faster?

You can run a lipo with an ESC that doesn't have a lipo cutoff, you just have to be careful not to run the battery down too far.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fatam View Post
Any help with setting up a CK into a bad ass is what im looking for.

Not trying to sound like a smart a$$ but the best thing you can do is sell the CK and start with an Axial or Losi crawler as your base to build off of.
The CK is just a name HPI gave it to sell more WK's. The cog is so high you'll have a hard time makeing it anything more than the basher it is.

But if you have your heart set on useing it, here ya go.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68
Old 06-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by transambill View Post
Not trying to sound like a smart a$$ but the best thing you can do is sell the CK and start with an Axial or Losi crawler as your base to build off of.
The CK is just a name HPI gave it to sell more WK's. The cog is so high you'll have a hard time makeing it anything more than the basher it is.

But if you have your heart set on useing it, here ya go.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68
No you didnt sound like a smart a$$ you sounded like a dick. I am just getting started and your knocking what I bought. Dude thats really not cool at all. I did my research and thats what I wanted. I have seen some that are just as bad ass as a losi comp or an axial. If I wanted a comp crawler I would have bought a losi but thats not what I wanted. I want something that will crawl something that will hit the trails and from what ive seen it can do all those things. So if I was asking for an opinion great but im asking for some set up ideas as I JUST BOUGHT ONE. In racing witch is what I do if I started talking shit to everybody that ran a losi or a mugen or AE just because I didnt like them I dont think I would be welcome to come back so for a new person to crawling and electric I hope to god that you dont treat your local new guys like that. Telling them that what they got was crap and to sell it.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Calm down man I wasnt trying to be mean. Just trying to save you from going thru the aggravation and wasteing money trying to make something a crawler that isnt. I welcome new people into the sport of crawling.
I just hate to see someone start out with something that there going to spend a lot of time, money,and effort trying to make it something it isnt then getting discouraged and leaveing this area of the RC hobby.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Here is how my Wheely King ended up . . .

Not much left of the original other than the axles, but that's how most crawlers end up.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Ok looking to turn my CK into a great trail truck. I want to do some crawling, mudding, water splashing, and just tearing through the woods. So because of the water thing I am thinking about going with a brushed motor. I am also not wanting a fast truck but one that is at least walking speed. Do you guys have any ideas of a good set up based on what i am looking to do. I am very new to crawling so be easy on me.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Right, in no set order

1. lead weights in the wheels.. remove tyres, buy wheel weights from you local tyre fitter. apply more to the fronts than the rears. I put as many as i could physically fit in the fronts, one full round less on the rears..

2. cut wheel foams.. while the wheel is off for the lead weights, cut the foams to create a 8 - 10 fingered star shape.

3. Lower the COG (center of gravity) in any means possible.. axial i put a small receiver battery on the front axle.

4. Waterproof electronics.. many web articles on this subject.. Google is your friend.

ESC selection.. there are 2 main options.. brushless or brushed..
brushed is cheaper by heaps and heaps, RC4WD Outcry is what i use, i picked up for about $60AUS delivered from america. Size is a slight factor (size of Novak GTB + BEC) but only raving review from me.

A good strong 35 turn motor is pretty good.. more speed, go for a 27T. You can go much higher in turns 55 - 65 T but pace is extremely slow.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Fatam View Post
Ok looking to turn my CK into a great trail truck. I want to do some crawling, mudding, water splashing, and just tearing through the woods. So because of the water thing I am thinking about going with a brushed motor. I am also not wanting a fast truck but one that is at least walking speed. Do you guys have any ideas of a good set up based on what i am looking to do. I am very new to crawling so be easy on me.
Sounds like your steering toward a scaler type rig and in my opinion thats the most fun class in crawling. Your limited by only your immagination.
Check out the link I posted above in my other post as well as the rest of the site but be prepared to be there a while. Lots of stuff to read and check out.
But let me warn you,this crawler/scaler stuff is addicting.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/index.php
Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Rookie

I don't think transambill was being a smart ass or a dick, he was being honest. If a trail / mud truck is what your after, I have seen some Wheely / Crawler king rigs that will do the job, but Axial based rigs seem to be better IMO.