Search

Super Class craweler build needs help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile Super Class craweler build needs help

I am building a chassis and links for a super class crawler project. I am using Super Bully Axles. I am wondering if anyone could help me pick out a few items.

Tires: I want 7-8+ inch tall, probably narrow too.

Rims: Looking for cheap bead-locks...operative word is cheap! Plastic is ok as I can add weight with lead or BBs.

Crawler ESC: will have to handle a dual MOA set up. I would love to have electronic dig set up. Goat? Brushless? I have 2 55 brushed turn lathe motors already but would consider other options.

Radio Controller: Again, I have little money. I do have a Futaba Super 6x aircraft transmitter... and a Traxxas 3 channel EMaxx type transmitter.

I have a couple coaxial helis and a Corona (fully built and outfitted) that I am trying to sell/trade if anyone has parts for my crawler...

I have a Mill and Lathe so making the chassis/links is no issue. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Tracks (Dave)
Old 03-24-2010, 05:46 AM

hot body rovers are about 5 inches tall and work great
Old 03-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Super tires

Everyone seems to love the rovers and based on popularity alone, I bet they are great however I am in teh market for something even larger assuming that I can find something larger that is good and sticky. Any other ideas?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You would get more info at: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/index.php
Old 03-24-2010, 07:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Your best options are:

- Cut and shunt Panther Plowboys onto narrowed HPI Blast Rims
- Cut and shunt Rovers or Sedonas onto narrowed Proline 5 shooters
- R4WD Xlocks on Axial beadlocks or Blasts
Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188066
Old 03-25-2010, 06:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Thanks!!!!!!!

I appreciate the help guys. As you see I am new to RCTECH. I have come full circle with crawling. A few friends and I thought that we created it (RC crawling) long ago when emaxxes were first introduced. It has come a long way since then.

At the time we didn't see it in magazines or know of anyone else doing it. We softened our suspension, moved the CG forward, turned our tires backwards and clipped every other log off. We dropped our gearing as much as possible and locked our diffs. I brought almost two chords of firewood into my basement and we build a sprawling course. We even added bridges (wide boards) that were barely wide onough to keep our tires on. They often lead to shelves located at various heights, sometimes near the ceiling. We built plywood "A" frame obstacles with bits added to provide traction.

This kept us busy for a couple winters. It was great but we grew tired of it as we had done nearly all we could do in a basement with some old emaxxes.

As a group, we were all into full size (Jeep and Toyota) crawling as well as airplanes, helis and the like.

Now I'm older and have a nice metal shop in the basement. I want to make a chassis that has never been seen before. I have a crazy idea about traversing "high center" situations and cliff ledges that would stop most rigs. If I can pull it off, I will post to all and share my ideas. If it flops, I won't have publicly embarassed myself...again!

Again, thanks for all of you input!

I am still interested in tire ideas. I never though to "cut and shunt" and wouldl ove more info on it. I am also still intertested in ESC options. I need to keep the $$$ low and wonder what you guys would recommend.

Thanks and all the best!

Tracks!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tracks
I am still interested in tire ideas. I never though to "cut and shunt" and wouldl ove more info on it. I am also still intertested in ESC options. I need to keep the $$$ low and wonder what you guys would recommend.

Thanks and all the best!

Tracks!
Tekin FXR or FXR Pro

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238898

Hot Bodies Rovers, Rovers -EX, Sadona

All the info you're looking for is on RCCrawler.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Sounds cool with the e-revos, they have tons of suspension to work with.

The ultimate esc setup for MOA's is to run dual esc's and use either a stick radio or a computerized pistol radio that has mixing (4PK, 3PK, M11, etc). I run dual Tekin FXR's w/35t motors in my berg. Controlling it with a 4PK, I can run front dig, rear dig, or any motor stall desired. You can find FXR/Motor combo's for a great price, sometimes as low as $109. If you go with FXR's, you'll definately need to buy a BEC as well to handle the current of the high torque steering servo(s). The Castle BEC is about $23.