Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
What has been the biggest game changer in R/C for you? >

What has been the biggest game changer in R/C for you?

What has been the biggest game changer in R/C for you?

Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default What has been the biggest game changer in R/C for you?

I thought it would be cool to start a thread showing how r/c has changed through the years.

The parameter im thinking of is innovation in design. What's yours?

Ive been in the hobby since 2006 so my BIG innovative moment in R/C was converting an 2.5 and then 3.3 revo to brushless. I saw many people experiencing one aspect that makes this hobby great... and it was very FUN! That was a huge moment that i think changed R/C for the better... until Traxxas messed it all up with there design... Though theirs was the best it made my conversion not so cool anymore Just to clarify I'm not dissing Traxxas. The e-revo is a very nice ride!

So I say kudos to the e-revo movement that truly impacted R/C for the better!

P.S. Can't dismiss the Gorilla Max Movement either.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For me, it would be the Lipo/brushless revolution. I was a pretty serious racer in 4wd mod buggy about 15 years ago before other things in life took over. These current batteries and motors are a giant leap forward from what I was using. I mean last time I was racing I was soldering up my own battery packs. Lol
Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Suspended

DOESN'T THIS BELONG IN THE CHAT LOUNGE?

(thanks to whoever fixed this/removed it from the off-road section)

Last edited by pablo040; 03-06-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pablo040 View Post
DOESN'T THIS BELONG IN THE CHAT LOUNGE?
Did you report him to the mod too??? Cant let stuff like this happen!

Cool topic. Hands down lipos/brushless. I hated electric and always ran nitro because of nicad/nimh brushed was so slow.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by richracer2 View Post
I thought it would be cool to start a thread showing how r/c has changed through the years.

The parameter im thinking of is innovation in design. What's yours?

Ive been in the hobby since 2006 so my BIG innovative moment in R/C was converting an 2.5 and then 3.3 revo to brushless. I saw many people experiencing one aspect that makes this hobby great... and it was very FUN! That was a huge moment that i think changed R/C for the better... until Traxxas messed it all up with there design... Though theirs was the best it made my conversion not so cool anymore Just to clarify I'm not dissing Traxxas. The e-revo is a very nice ride!

So I say kudos to the e-revo movement that truly impacted R/C for the better!

P.S. Can't dismiss the Gorilla Max Movement either.
I'm a newer racer, circa 2008. I started out with a T4, but the thing that really made me fall hard for this hobby was the Traxxas Slash. A lot of fun, easy to maintain and it resembled a real truck. For a low price I was immediately able to start racing.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I've been around since 1996-97 Without a doubt the biggest game changer is 2.4GHz radios.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

DSM radio!!

I started racing in 2001, if you were around back then you remember the days of calling out a frequency number or color, turning on your car and HOPING that nobody was on your frequency, or that nobody started using your frequency WHILE you were driving Or the days of going to get the frequency pin and someone was hogging it, I became guilty of this after it was done to me over and over. I once thought I was in a certain frequency but I was in another one, got pissed until I realized I was the the one that screwd up LOL Yep, if you never raced in pre-DSM days you dont know the uncertainty, or the fear of wrecking your car because of frequency conflicts.
I had to quit for a couple of years because of lack of funds, when I came back I bought a new "budget" radio(futaba), when it was explained to me what 2.4h was I bought it on the spot! I still have that radio, although I did buy a 3PK. Now we just turn on the radio and no problems. So, yeah, to me DSM has been the best development in RC car racing, EVER.

Sorry for the long post...

Last edited by nitrodude; 03-06-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foosmatrix View Post
For me, it would be the Lipo/brushless revolution. I was a pretty serious racer in 4wd mod buggy about 15 years ago before other things in life took over. These current batteries and motors are a giant leap forward from what I was using. I mean last time I was racing I was soldering up my own battery packs. Lol
x2

I still have about 12 hand-assembled packs, 30 or so motors and about a dozen ESCs... but the lipo/brushless has made this sport a lot more enjoyable!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

When I started out, all races were hand counted. Imagine the confusion, protests, and arguements that caused.

The AMB system changed everything.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Automatic lap counting. Until AMB came out with their handout transponders we were hand counting all the way up to world championships. Even though we had moved on from hand clickers or marks on pieces of paper to computer software you would still get missed laps, even the 1983 1/8th Euro Champs descended into a farce due to a missed lap meaning the wrong driver was initially declared the winner.

Transponders stopped all that and gave us accurate lap counting at last.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~ View Post
When I started out, all races were hand counted. Imagine the confusion, protests, and arguements that caused.

The AMB system changed everything.
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Automatic lap counting. Until AMB came out with their handout transponders we were hand counting all the way up to world championships. Even though we had moved on from hand clickers or marks on pieces of paper to computer software you would still get missed laps, even the 1983 1/8th Euro Champs descended into a farce due to a missed lap meaning the wrong driver was initially declared the winner.

Transponders stopped all that and gave us accurate lap counting at last.
Its funny, those of us that havent been at it for so long take the transponders for granted, but yeah, the fact that we have them is amazing.

I do think that my transponder counts 1 second slow each lap, but that just me LOL
Old 03-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
Its funny, those of us that havent been at it for so long take the transponders for granted, but yeah, the fact that we have them is amazing.

I do think that my transponder counts 1 second slow each lap, but that just me LOL
Same! Mine also causes me to roll over occasionally and land jumps wrong too. Maybe it's time for a new transponder!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There are too many to count.. comparing equipment and systems of today compared to 30 years ago is about like running radio shack cars in someone's driveway by today's standards. for me the electronic speed control rates way up there, its a lot better than a 2nd servo,receiver pack and micro switch. followed by same thing with mechanical speed control
Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Hands down brushless/lipo.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Here's a list of the r/c game changers (for me):

2.4ghz radios
Novak Spektrum modules and receivers
Multi vehicle memory on the transmitters
brushless motors
lipo batteries

Can't wait to see what's next, TBH.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.