Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Digital camera help, please! >

Digital camera help, please!

Digital camera help, please!

Old 12-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Unhappy Digital camera help, please!

I bought a digital camera today, a Pentax Optio. SO I took some pics, some cool features, blah, blah, blah. Then I install (running windows XP btw)the software that comes with it, no problems so far. Set the USB connection to PC and plug it in. The computer recognizes the device, but doesnt list it as a removable disk and wont read the files on the camera. I tried again, for some reason the USB connection setting switches from PC to pictbridge after I try and upload the files. If I go into my computer it shows the camera under "cameras and scanners", not with the other drives like it would with my old digi cam. So I'm perplexed, Any of you guys know what I'm doing wrong?
Old 12-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

its not a removable disk. Its a connection through USB which your computer needs to recognize as new hardware.

control panel
add new hardware - let it scan with your camera plugged in the USB and turned on

should work.

[email protected] if you need more help.... I'm always learning new stuff about my digital camera.

Dawn
Old 01-10-2005, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

1 - Do you have the Pentax program open before you plug the camera into the USB. My camera (Kodak) needs that to be open so that the auto download works.

2 - You say you have an old digital camera. If you have another program that auto downloads through the USB, uninstall your old program and your Pentax program and then re-install the Pentax program. Sometimes if different programs use the same default drive, e.g. E:\, then you may get problems. Not sure about Pentax, but the Kodak had that problem.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Exclamation Program Control

Originally posted by 2blackdogs
1 - Do you have the Pentax program open before you plug the camera into the USB. My camera (Kodak) needs that to be open so that the auto download works.
That is how my Minolta Dimage works as well. I have to have the program on then turn on the camera and let the USB establish connection.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

When I got my digital camera I just got a card reader that plugs into a USB port. No problems with it at all and I was only about $20.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

If all else fails, get a card reader, like a flash card reader. Their not that expensive and will solve your problem.