Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Out track build thread >

Out track build thread

Out track build thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (97%+)
Talking Out track build thread

We started planning our new track, we hope to be tilling under the old track next week and taking down a barn to make way for our new 90'x75' track. The dirt here is a sticky clay, great for running.

My brother and I put together this real simple design in Solidworks just to get an idea of how we wanted it, 8' lanes all around, with 8" fence post for a whoops section, a tunnel jump thats 4 feet off the ground and has a 8' top to it, along with a few other jumps that should give us good air.

We will have pictures going up as we progress.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

that layout actually would look like a lot of fun to race on. If I can make a suggestion is to make a landing on the backside so you can have a double double section.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Had that idea, we also want a flat landing or two as well, the idea is to have all sorts of jumps and sections so no matter what we come up against at the local races we have had practice on our own track.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wish our tracks were like that driving under the jump.
One track I was at had a sick layout outdoors,
I was jumping over the leader, he was way ahead of me and
just couldnt catch him.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would suggest more catch ramps. That way, you can downside them smoothly, and carry more speed through those sections. This is one we're working on.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

that too would be an awesome layout to run.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Thank you. We found the easiest way to come up with a layout, is build a grid with the block size being the lane width. Then, you merely find a pattern that fits, allow for places where the spotters can stand, add some requested elements, and you have a layout. We try to build "Flowing" layouts, so there's a rhythm to it. Lots of 180 and 90 degree turns can feel a little repetitive. No amount of ramps or bumps can cure that. It needs to be something where each section is part of the preparation for the next. That's why I suggested catch ramps. Just landing flat and slapping the chassis upsets the car. Downsiding so smoothly that you can barely hear it land... priceless.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

I agree on the catch ramps, and we do plan to have them on all of the larger jumps but one, since some of the tracks we race at have flat landings we want to practice with one as well.

We also set up a grid with the size being the lane width and worked our way through, there are lots of straight pipe, however that does not mean there are lots of hard turns, the perfect line seldome resembles the way the lane shows
Old 02-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

Default just some thoughts.

If you already haven't thought of it, you may want to think where you'll be putting turn marshalls in regards to jumps. Nobody wants to be a target! Also, how various challenges will obstruct other parts of the course based on where you stand on the drivers stand.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

The track will be going in our back yard so marshels are a luxury, lol.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Couple questions for you guys, what do you use to pack down dirt jumps, some of what we have planned will be wood, like the track over jump, and the whoops section will be fence post that we have laying around, but we would like to do some other dirt jumps as well just not sure how to pack them down nice.

We have access to a tracktor and dirt just not sure how to get a good packing.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Tech Champion

Packing has allot to do with the material you use. Obviously clay will pack best, and sand hardly at all. A tractor is a great tool, just the weight and repetition of laps will help pack it. If you do end up with some clay, an old truck tire, treated with WD40 to break the rubber down, can be dragged over the surface, and actually leaves some rubber. Get some heavy weights, or have a friend stand on it. Make sure the tire is old and dry rotted, then soaked with WD40. Put a hole through it with an eyelet, and drag it for as many laps as you can tolerate. We were very pleased with the results:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

As for the jumps, if you can't use clay, go ahead and build them from wood. Anything with too much sand content will never hold up.