Old 07-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

These guys carry just about every brand -

http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/airgunrifles.html
Old 07-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ahh yes, the air rifle, one of my favorite sporting toys in past years.

I have three air rifles myself. One is a Walther Magnum .22 that has a muzzle velocity of almost 1400fps at max pressure. That is faster than the speed of sound! Supprising penetration power, but not good for accuracy at those speeds though. Passing the sound barrier plays hell with the flight characteristics of a .22 pellet. At 1000fps though it's awesome for accuracy.

The second is a Crossman Challanger 2000 match-grade rifle that I used for competition shooting when I was a Scoutmaster. VERY accurate, but it's really ONLY for competitive shooting. Doesn't work well as a sporting rifle.

The last is a vintage Crossman Pumpmaster 760 that I got wayyyyy back in 1969 and have been dragging around the world for 40 years. Amazingly enough, Crossman STILL sells this exact same model today.

If I were to buy a new air rifle today I'd probably pay the extra and get a PCP (pre-charged pneumatic) gun. They cost quite a bit more, but the better ones have a regulated secondary air reservoir, and give you wonderfully consistant shots.

Last edited by CaptCrunch; 07-13-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:20 PM
ekd
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Ahh yes, the air rifle, one of my favorite sporting toys in past years.

I have three air rifles myself. One is a Walther Magnum .22 that has a muzzle velocity of almost 1400fps at max pressure. That is faster than the speed of sound! Supprising penetration power, but not good for accuracy at those speeds though. Passing the sound barrier plays hell with the flight characteristics of a .22 pellet. At 1000fps though it's awesome for accuracy.

The second is a Crossman Challanger 2000 match-grade rifle that I used for competition shooting when I was a Scoutmaster. VERY accurate, but it's really ONLY for competitive shooting. Doesn't work well as a sporting rifle.

The last is a vintage Crossman Pumpmaster 760 that I got in wayyyyy back 1969 and have been dragging around the world for 40 years. Amazingly enough, Crossman STILL sells this exact same model today.

If I were to buy a new air rifle today I'd probably pay the extra and get a PCP (pre-charged pneumatic) gun. They cost quite a bit more, but the better ones have a regulated secondary air reservoir, and give you wonderfully consistant shots.
+1 on the fun, and the Crossman 760.

I own a Beeman, that can drive tacks. Hyper accurate... expensive, heavy. I did some mods to the cheap Crosman that gave it nearly the accuracy of the beeman, but allowed me to leave it pumped up for quick varmint use (not good for spring/piston guns).

1 shot kill on a rabid fox, that was about to attack my willing, and MUCH larger dog.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ekd View Post
I did some mods to the cheap Crosman that gave it nearly the accuracy of the beeman, but allowed me to leave it pumped up for quick varmint use (not good for spring/piston guns).
Yeah, that's another thing that I like about a PCP. You can dump the pressure in the secondary chamber and leave the primary charged indefinately. It only take a second to prime the secondary and you are ready to shoot. Only BAD thing about a PCP is that you have to have either an air tank or a hand pump to recharge the primary reservoir. Probably wouldn't be great for long camping trips unless you don't mind pumping it up. But most of the better ones are good for 100 shots or so on a charge. If I were to get a PCP I'd probably dig out my diving tank and get an adapter so I could use it to charge the gun. A fully charged diving tank would probably recharge the gun forever.

LOL this thread has gotten me thinking about digging my airguns out of storage.

Last edited by CaptCrunch; 07-13-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:27 PM
ekd
Tech Elite

Hell yeah... let's shoot some aspirin!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

ok im having some trouble.

can 750fps kill animals?
Old 07-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MoparRules View Post

can 750fps kill animals?
Mopar I think that you will find that most air rifles that are designed for hunting are in the 900fps+ range for .177 and 800fps+ for .22. That said, I used to kill squirrels that were making their home in my attic when I was a teenager with my Crossman 760. Its only rated at 600fps. But it really didn't have all that much penitration power.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

LOL Mopar, if you could sneak up close enough here's what you need: Fully Automatic Airgun

You might not kill a coon, but you would certainly scare the crap out of it!

Watch the videos
Old 07-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
LOL Mopar, if you could sneak up close enough here's what you need: Fully Automatic Airgun

You might not kill a coon, but you would certainly scare the crap out of it!

Watch the videos
ha!! i wish.....
Old 07-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

hmm..................

http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-1789.html

??
Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That looks pretty nice mopar!

If you want to take out mice and such, you can't beat one of these...

http://www.airsoftworld.net/airsoft-...6-carbine.html

I have a quick question, I have a tasco 4x20 scope on my rifle (came with it, I would use the iron sights but the previous owner too the rear one off and lost it). Is that stifling the accuracy at all? I've only used it half a dozen times, but I can hit a 2 inch group at 10 meters, and the sight isn't even set up! I hear the gun is quite accurate (hence why the resale value is so huge).
Old 07-14-2009, 03:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
That looks pretty nice mopar!

If you want to take out mice and such, you can't beat one of these...

http://www.airsoftworld.net/airsoft-...6-carbine.html

I have a quick question, I have a tasco 4x20 scope on my rifle (came with it, I would use the iron sights but the previous owner too the rear one off and lost it). Is that stifling the accuracy at all? I've only used it half a dozen times, but I can hit a 2 inch group at 10 meters, and the sight isn't even set up! I hear the gun is quite accurate (hence why the resale value is so huge).
sorry im really not that into airsoft. i dont want something i have to wait to use. thats why my paintball gun hasnt been touched in ever...
Old 07-14-2009, 04:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Honestly Mopar, I wouldn't buy any weapon (Air or Firearm) over the internet unless you have at least handled one identical to it. Go down to some of your local sporting goods stores and look at them, touch them, shoulder them. Not all stocks are created equal, and some scopes look good in an ad but suck when you try them. Also, you may find that you don't like spring activated guns. I'm not saying that you have to BUY the gun locally, but it would be nice to know what fits YOU. It will also give you the chance to actually SEE the diferences in quality from one price level to the next.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MoparRules View Post

can 750fps kill animals?
Not reliably.....want at least 1000fps.

Advantage to a spring gus is velocity is more consistent. If you have to wait on a shot with a pump type airgun, the air you compressed will cool and you'll lose velocity. I've shot mine over a chronograph and for 10 shots the std dev on the velocity (1010fps) was 1.3fps.

Mine came with a 10m test target from RWS and it was a single ragged hole.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.