Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Concourse De Elegance - Do you care? >

Concourse De Elegance - Do you care?

Concourse De Elegance - Do you care?

Old 11-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Concourse De Elegance - Do you care?

Hey guys,

Something locally struck me and I thought I would bring it up for discussion.

Locally, race organisers and governing bodies just don't seem to care about concourse.

We have a good set of rules/guidelines for concourse judging, but they are not used. They were updated recently, but were not used again at a later meeting.

I have often overheard people talking and saying that they give their concourse trophy away, or throw it in the bin because they don't have room in luggage etc.

I enjoy painting shells and looking at nice looking scale cars just as much as I do racing them (neither of which I do badly), just like I often enjoy putting a kit together as much as I do racing it.

Do you care about concourse? If there are rules present, shouldn't they be used?

Curious as to peoples thoughts.

I'd like to keep this discussion as civil as possible.

Cheers

Ashley
Old 11-24-2008, 04:44 AM
Tech Champion

I can see the attraction of making a shell look really nice, for some it is just as good, or even better than the racing.

But for me, providing my shell looks good, good is good enough. (I have one ready to cut and spray at home, mines way past its best now!)

I like the satisfaction of having a new shell on the car, but I dont have crazy paint jobs lined up for any of my shells, as long as its bright, in good condition and it handles well, thats good for me
Old 11-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Suspended

"Concourse" has always seemingly been one of those odd things in RC racing. I say odd because it's a total non-entity in any/every other form of motorsports I've been involved in. So from the very start it seems hard in many's eyes to justify as part of the actual racing competition since great paint has nothing to do with the racing.
So from that very basic concept it would seem to me that if you're truely that interested in that part of things I think it up to you to get more personally involved in race organizing and as a member of the governing bodies to see it remain, for otherwise IMHO you're just blowing smoke in the wind as far as the real racers showing up to race are concerned.

Like you, I enjoy painting up a great looking shell and have always done my best to produce work that will win the concourse part of the event - yet at the same time always thought my placing in the A-main of the final to be the most important thing. We at the event to go racing, you know?
For I don't see much reason, nor any great call, for a "RC Concourse De Elegance" that would stand on it's own as an event like real 1:1 Concourse De Elegance does.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
I can see the attraction of making a shell look really nice, for some it is just as good, or even better than the racing.

But for me, providing my shell looks good, good is good enough. (I have one ready to cut and spray at home, mines way past its best now!)

I like the satisfaction of having a new shell on the car, but I dont have crazy paint jobs lined up for any of my shells, as long as its bright, in good condition and it handles well, thats good for me
Originally Posted by theDr View Post
"Concourse" has always seemingly been one of those odd things in RC racing. I say odd because it's a total non-entity in any/every other form of motorsports I've been involved in. So from the very start it seems hard in many's eyes to justify as part of the actual racing competition since great paint has nothing to do with the racing.
So from that very basic concept it would seem to me that if you're truely that interested in that part of things I think it up to you to get more personally involved in race organizing and as a member of the governing bodies to see it remain, for otherwise IMHO you're just blowing smoke in the wind as far as the real racers showing up to race are concerned.

Like you, I enjoy painting up a great looking shell and have always done my best to produce work that will win the concourse part of the event - yet at the same time always thought my placing in the A-main of the final to be the most important thing. We at the event to go racing, you know?
For I don't see much reason, nor any great call, for a "RC Concourse De Elegance" that would stand on it's own as an event like real 1:1 Concourse De Elegance does.
I completely get what you guys are saying, concourse for me is just one part of the event.

But if I'm competing to rules, just like the actual racing, I expect those rules to be followed. It is unethical to follow some rules but not others.

Anyway rant over.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ashley Cobb View Post
I completely get what you guys are saying, concourse for me is just one part of the event.
But if I'm competing to rules, just like the actual racing, I expect those rules to be followed. It is unethical to follow some rules but not others.
Anyway rant over.
As you can see you didn't get much in the way of replies, so it should give you an idea of its popularity and importance with racers. Thus not making it part of the event for most racers, but a sort of sideshow. I know in one series I used to run they referred to the concourse guys as the "All show and go slow" guys, since most of them ran in the F-Main.

Rules, well that always up to the local organizers. Some places choose to follow all of them, others don't. But the fact remains it's not as strictly ruled as racing, since it's not racing and not part of the race event itself. It's just a car show, nothing more that doesn't really count.

Sorry
Old 11-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

That's fair enough, although I don't agree with the concourse cars being slower than anyone else, atleast not locally.

Anyway, I guess I got my answer.

Cheers
Ash
Old 11-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

With so many folks out there doing really good quality airbrush and painting work, its hard to determine if the person entering a body for a competition that they MAY NOT have actually painted.

I paint all my own bodies, nothing is super, they look good and get compliments but not where NEAR the detail as others. I know other hate to paint and would rather pay someone to paint a nice paint scheme.

In some cases, I think its gone overboard. I remember how crazy the HPI Challenge concourse got one year with people going way nuts over details.

MOmo
Old 11-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well I wanted to add something, but was too busy to reach this particular thread:

I remember when Concourse events was a big thing; I used to buy the R/C Car Action magazines just to get ideas to build concourse bodies. Now I go to Groovy Drift to get my ideas for car bodies; apparently they still build and race highly detailed cars. I have also tried my hand in building extra parts, such as front and rear splitters, but I ran into a brick wall when it came to building widebody kits. I guess what it boils down to is how sturdy your concourse car is built; I guess that some people don't want to put a higly-detailed body through its paces for the fear of screwing up.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MOmo View Post
With so many folks out there doing really good quality airbrush and painting work, its hard to determine if the person entering a body for a competition that they MAY NOT have actually painted.

I paint all my own bodies, nothing is super, they look good and get compliments but not where NEAR the detail as others. I know other hate to paint and would rather pay someone to paint a nice paint scheme.
Good point. Doesn't seem right to enter if you didn't paint it yourself, and really there's no proof otherwise.

Originally Posted by GundamWZero View Post
Well I wanted to add something, but was too busy to reach this particular thread:

I remember when Concourse events was a big thing; I used to buy the R/C Car Action magazines just to get ideas to build concourse bodies. Now I go to Groovy Drift to get my ideas for car bodies; apparently they still build and race highly detailed cars. I have also tried my hand in building extra parts, such as front and rear splitters, but I ran into a brick wall when it came to building widebody kits. I guess what it boils down to is how sturdy your concourse car is built; I guess that some people don't want to put a higly-detailed body through its paces for the fear of screwing up.
Wasn't it always the "rule" that you had to run as they were if you won? I had a sponsor once that supplied me with aluminum rims that I used and had to run in the A-main and the extra weight caused my batteries to dump earlier than I even expected.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Wasn't it always the "rule" that you had to run as they were if you won? I had a sponsor once that supplied me with aluminum rims that I used and had to run in the A-main and the extra weight caused my batteries to dump earlier than I even expected.
It used to be, but not for just the winner. Everyone had to run their concourse bodies.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Tech Champion

I think the only shell I could enjoy spraying up is a drift or rally shell.

They look waaaaay cool when done right. A touring car shell to me is "just another shell" to spray up.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Hey..... there are a few guys who are taking r/c and modeling to a whole new level. This particular car is has the polycarbonate shell but this guy modded it using scratchbuilt styrene plastic parts:

Now, this here is SICK!!!! Freaking CAR KEYS!!!!

And the car is going to run!!!! This is what I like to start doing! Betcha this will win every concourse event!

Linky: http://www.groovydrift.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9741
Old 11-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Suspended

Cool, and if it's your thing there's nothing wrong with it I suppose.

Just too shelf-queen-ish for my taste.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

In RC Racing its not a big deal to me. In 1:1 cars I take more time. Instead of just slapping some bondo on I slap some bondo on it and then paint it.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Cool, and if it's your thing there's nothing wrong with it I suppose.

Just too shelf-queen-ish for my taste.
RocketRob40?