R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Old 11-15-2006, 10:44 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie P.
One of my favorite rifles for close up (less than 200 yards) work is a Marlin 336C in .35 Remington. I use the factory (Remington) ammo, 200 grain bullets, with a Leupold 2x7 scope. For any normal use, it does just fine. Ive hit deer at everything between two feet and 200 yards; and they all seemed impressed with the round's performance. A nice choice in rifles; quick shouldering, easy to point. Thanks; Ernie P.

Yep......I got one of those lever actions meself. Mine is in 30-30. I bought it at WalMart back when they sold guns......haven't fired it yet. Kinda interested in how it will shoot. Had to have one cause the "RifleMan" had one but I think his was a Winchester. 8-)
SRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:51 AM   #47
Tech Apprentice

I sweden we cant buy Guns can any body send me a gun.
Sir Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:38 PM   #48
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truggy1
The AK isn't a very reliable weapon.
I don't swear by too many weapons, but about the ak, are you stupid? Between myself and 2 of my closest friends, we own 8 of these.

As for reliability, take any assault, or military weapon in use today and compare it strictly on reliability. To prove my point, a thousand dollar bet was placed one night at the local gun club. 5 shots from an ar-15 and 5 shots from a ak-47, with the barrel in the mud. 2 shots in the ar15 couldn't fire anymore, the ak emptied a 30rd clip.

Chad, one of the above mentioned friends, took one hog hunting one morning. We got back to the truck with the 3 hogs and proceeded to field dress them. He propped up the ak against the fender on the trailer loaded with atvs. After field dressing, we got into the truck to leave. Pulled up to the gate, and on to the road, and he realized he had left the ak against the trailer. We went back to find it, and you could see the tracks where I had pulled the trailer over it, and ran over it with the dually at least twice. He picked it up, brushed the dirt off, and fired a couple of shots through it with no problem.

As for accuracy, they are good for about 300-350 yards, I wouldn't trust it much past that, that's really the only aspect in which the ar15 outperforms the ak. I've made 1500 yard shots with an ar15.

That's my rant, and someone will probably disagree, but bear in mind there are 16 member in our gun club that share like opinions about these guns, among us, there are around 12 ar15's, 20 or so ak's, 2 .50 cal BMG single shots, at least 25 different variations of 7.62x39 and 7.62x54r. Including sks, ak47, Russian infantry and sniper rifles, and a couple that our local gunsmith fabricated up to play with, simple breakover single shots with 48" bull barrels for long distances.

That's my .02 cents and I'm sticking with it.
possom813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by possom813
I don't swear by too many weapons, but about the ak, are you stupid? Between myself and 2 of my closest friends, we own 8 of these.

As for reliability, take any assault, or military weapon in use today and compare it strictly on reliability. To prove my point, a thousand dollar bet was placed one night at the local gun club. 5 shots from an ar-15 and 5 shots from a ak-47, with the barrel in the mud. 2 shots in the ar15 couldn't fire anymore, the ak emptied a 30rd clip.

Chad, one of the above mentioned friends, took one hog hunting one morning. We got back to the truck with the 3 hogs and proceeded to field dress them. He propped up the ak against the fender on the trailer loaded with atvs. After field dressing, we got into the truck to leave. Pulled up to the gate, and on to the road, and he realized he had left the ak against the trailer. We went back to find it, and you could see the tracks where I had pulled the trailer over it, and ran over it with the dually at least twice. He picked it up, brushed the dirt off, and fired a couple of shots through it with no problem.

As for accuracy, they are good for about 300-350 yards, I wouldn't trust it much past that, that's really the only aspect in which the ar15 outperforms the ak. I've made 1500 yard shots with an ar15.

That's my rant, and someone will probably disagree, but bear in mind there are 16 member in our gun club that share like opinions about these guns, among us, there are around 12 ar15's, 20 or so ak's, 2 .50 cal BMG single shots, at least 25 different variations of 7.62x39 and 7.62x54r. Including sks, ak47, Russian infantry and sniper rifles, and a couple that our local gunsmith fabricated up to play with, simple breakover single shots with 48" bull barrels for long distances.

That's my .02 cents and I'm sticking with it.

I agree with most of what you have said here.....but 1500 yard shots with an AR15!!! That's pushing it a bit isn't it? You might have got lucky once but to do it consistently with an AR15.....I gotta see that. Out that far there are better calibers for that. For close in fighting....I'll take the AK over the M16 or variants.
SRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #50
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Right on, I've made the 1500 yard shot 4 times with the AR-15. You could give or take 25 yards because we only have an el cheapo range finder. All 4 shots were at my in laws private range on exceptionally calm days, no wind, about 85 degrees, the target that was hit was a 2" piece of steel plate 18 inches in diameter painted bright orange.

Bear in mind as well, each shot that was taken was from a very well set up bench rest.
possom813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #51
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Still that's impressive. An AK for a sniper rifle...wow lol!