Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015/2016 WCICS Official Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Default 2015/2016 WCICS Official Thread - 25th Anniversary!

Congrats to all the racers from last season, it was our best ever AGAIN with 8 races and over 1000 registrations!

This season is WCICS 25th Anniversary! We're super excited, what a milestone for such a great series! We're working on some special touches for the season, stay tuned!

Already looking forward to another season of racing in Western Canada! Always improving on the year before, we'll again have the rules out MONTHS ahead of time, giving racers lots of time to prepare for next season.

Sponsors

Firstly, a big thanks to last year's sponsors:
Sweep Racing: TC Spec Tires
Great Hobbies: TC Stock Class
Awesomatix: TC Mod Class
Novak RC: 12th Mod Class
ATD Hobbies: Tamiya Mini Class
Reedy: 12th Stock Class
Autotrim Design: F1 Class
CRC: WGT Class
Gravity RC: CTA/GT Class
Catch 22 Media: Official Website
Orion Safety: Official Safety Equipment
Best Western Hotels: Official Hotels
UPS Shipping: Official Shipper
Discount Vehicle Rentals: Official Vehicle Rentals

Schedule

Last year's schedule worked beautifully, well balanced with 3 races in BC, 3 in AB and 2 in SK. Karz is taking a year off as the club exec take a well deserved break, and they plan to be back in 2016. Taking their place for next season is the Kelowna club.

We've now booked our first and last races in Sept and April, which evens the season out to 1 race per month, hopefully making it easier for racers to plan their schedules without having races too close. So the tentative schedule is below, and I'm happy to say half the 2016 season dates are already confirmed!!! I'll be filling in the dates when the remaining clubs have confirmation of their venue bookings (of course everyone could have venue booking issues, so the months below for the TBA clubs are just early estimates):

September Sept 25-27th: Ryan Rice-Saskatoon, SK

October 16-18th: Amber-ATD Hobby, Penticton, BC

November Nov 13-15th: Joe Levesque-NASCAR, Edmonton, AB

December 4-6th: Earl Towson-Kelowna, BC

January 8-10th: Blake Bell-IROCC (Victoria) & NRC (Nanaimo RC), Victoria, BC

February 5-7th: Robbie Langley-Fastraxx, Regina, SK

March 4-6th: Jason Mardon-Thompson Valley RC, Kamloops, BC

April 1-3rd: Cal Freeman-CarCar, Calgary, AB

Rules

This season was our best yet, and with no major changes in technology, the ruleset is stabalizing. So only 3 changes for this season:

1. 12 Stock: Changing to the WGT type spec tire. At this point they've been out for 1yr, supply looks good, and everyone loved the idea. IF there's a supply issue, then the WCICS Competition Director (Korgae) will post 2 weeks ahead of the race that it's back to open 12 tire. We've talked to BSR and CRC and they both expect to have good stock, so hopefully isn't an issue, but don't throw out your old ones just in case!

2. Mini: just to save people time testing/etc, the decision was that if ORCA doesn't have something commercially available by July 1 (at roughly the same price of course), then we'll switch to 21.5 turn motors & blinky ESC (ROAR/BRCA approved, with the current ORCA combo ESC's grandfathered in).

As we've seen on this thread, there were differing opinions on the speed differences as we discussed 21.5 vs 25.5, but there are more companies that make 21.5's and hence there's wider commercial availability and the fact that they're also used in CTA & F1, weighed heavily on the final vote. Still possible ORCA comes through and we can all continue to use our current spec systems while new racers can pick up the new ones, but if not, that's our plan B.

3. F1: Moving to just 190mm as was the original plan.

All of the other updated rules are already in the draft attached (soon) rulebook. Any changes are in bold type. Should be fully official in July when we know how the ORCA spec issue turns out.

And that's about it, everything else stays the same. No changes to TC Stock, TC Mod, WGT, 12 Mod, or CTA/GT.

WCICS Exec is working an a series wide pre-registration system so that racers have a good idea if there's enough numbers for the classes their interested in.

That's about it for now, I'm off doing summer stuff; Ironman Tri's, kart racing (we got a new track built!) and archery with my daughter, so if you have any questions please ask your local club rep as I won't be online much. All the club reps were present and involved in the decisions in the meeting, and can give you any details.

I'm really happy to report all of the club reps and the WCICS Exec continue unchanged into this new season, which is great and I think shows how well everything is working in this series! The only current opening we have is for Sponsorship Director. If you've got mad skills talking to companies (both RC and other), and want to help grow the series, please send me a PM.

As always, this is a non-profit series, and everything here is a direct result of the hard work of all the volunteers (reps, RD's, tech, WCICS Exec, WCICS Directors, club exec, etc). If you have comments, keep it in mind and be kind! Last season was exceptionally polite and considerate, we love it and want to keep the good feelings rolling!

Update:

After post-season testing (including one particular Canadian National Champion , and several multiple time WCICS champions), and in accordance with the WCICS vote at the AGM, we've selected the Sweep 28's for this season. The tires have now been run on multiple tracks, multiple drivers, multiple chassis and are consistently about 0.1s faster, have a long run life (still haven't gotten the ring after over 3 race weekends worth of runs), and haven't exhibited any traction roll characteristics even when tested after the mains at Calgary on what was the highest grip surface we had all season. On low grip, which is more often what we're running on, they have just what we were looking for, just slightly more grip so that the cars are less prone to sliding around.

So all testing was positive. It's of course impossible to test for every possible circumstance, but as much as our volunteer test force allowed we gave them a very good shake down. Huge thanks to the half dozen or so people involved in testing!

Other than that, same rims, etc. Honestly, racers shouldn't notice any difference except slightly better grip on fresh/low grip tracks.

However, not all news can be great news. I pay for the tire order in July each year to allow time for manufacturing, delivery, etc. If your work deals with international trade at all, you're well aware that the US/CDN forex (exchange rate) has dropped about 26% (1.075 to 1.34) over the last year, so the cost of the Sweep tires (to everyone, WCICS, stores, etc), has gone up accordingly. That would equate to almost $38/set ($30 * 1.26=$37.8). FYI, the price is the same no matter what compound we choose, that had no effect on the increase.

The price for WCICS tires hasn't increased in many, many years (I can't actually remember when it last increased), and this drop in the Canadian dollar is obviously out of our control. For this year, to keep the price increase minimal and in the hope that the exhange rate (and price of oil ), recover somewhat by next year, we're setting the price at $35 for the season. If the exchange rate is this bad, or worse, next year, we will have to look at it again, but for now we're doing our best to moderate any cost increases across the series.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Have a great summer and we'll see you in September for some great RC racing!

Josh
WCICS President
Attached Thumbnails 2015/2016 WCICS Official Thread-cdn-us-forex.png  

Last edited by IronRing Racing; 10-12-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Default WCICS Penticton

Just got confirmation this afternoon...

Penticton's dates will be Oct 16-18, 2015
Old 04-11-2015, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

KRC Racing date tentatively booked for the 4th to 6th of December!
Old 04-13-2015, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

This is just great guys, we're only a couple weeks past the finals from last season and we've already got 75% of our dates set!!!

Huge thanks and great job guys, this series just keeps getting better!

Big welcome to Kelowna to the series, standing in for Karz for this season while the Karz team Brad/Scott/Curtis/Kevin/etc take a much deserved rest!

Josh
Old 04-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For anyone interested the WCICS website finally got updated!

www.wcics.ca

Also, don't forget to like the Facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/wcics
Old 04-30-2015, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guy. I do have a question about the spec tire for 1/12 stock. I plan to run that class this year, and with me having to buy a new car and tires. i was only planning to buy the spec tire. so if there are issues with stock on the spec tire and we revert to the old rules, I would be at a disadvantage. what tire did most of the guys run last year? so i can plan for if it happens.
Nick K
Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phoenix82
Hey guy. I do have a question about the spec tire for 1/12 stock. I plan to run that class this year, and with me having to buy a new car and tires. i was only planning to buy the spec tire. so if there are issues with stock on the spec tire and we revert to the old rules, I would be at a disadvantage. what tire did most of the guys run last year? so i can plan for if it happens.
Nick K
Hey Nick,

I started last season with Black Front and Yellow Rear, but switched to Blu Front and Blu Rear around mid-season. If for some reason the Spec tire is not available, I would go for the Blu combo.

I hope that helps,
Blake
Old 05-01-2015, 05:19 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks Blake, that does help thanks. I just hope the other guys stock up on tires. I have already ordered my tires

Nick K
Old 05-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Just an FYI Nick, the 12 Spec tires are very fast, Brian Bodine was actually running them at Calgary's WCICS, and IIRC he ran them a few weekends before at a US race that was also open 12th tire. It's not a "slow" tire, and certainly not a step back. He's found it to be the fastest tire choice at a couple (at least) open races.

So if there's a problem with supply, and the announcement is made that we're back to open tire, the 12th Spec tire is obviously still legal, and from what Brian said, may possibly even be the fastest tire choice!

Josh
Old 05-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yeah, good point Josh. A month ago, Brian and I finished in the top two spots in 12th Stock in Seattle and we were both running the Spec tire, while several other drivers were running the Blu combo I was speaking of.

I would say the Blu combo is slightly faster only while the track is green. But, once the groove develops, the advantage disappears. I actually managed to traction roll my car in Seattle twice in the first round of qualifying with the Spec tires.

Blake
Old 05-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

No problem Blake, I know you're still getting getting up to speed in 12th scale.

Josh

P.S. Blake is both WCICS Champion, and Canadian Nationals Race Champion!
Old 05-04-2015, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

lol. thanks for the info guys. looking forward to running 1/12 scale this year. I have been doing alot of reading on how to set them up. I plan to test this summer and see if i can handle it.

Nick K
Old 05-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Thumbs up Thompson Valley R/C Race Club

Kamloops is confirmed. March 4th to 6th.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Thanks Brent!

Wow, great job clubs, it's the beginning of May and 5 races have confirmed their dates!

Josh
Old 05-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Tech Adept

Default SEAT SALE

Anyone looking to book a flight for the Season Opener in Saskatoon, or any race of the WCICS season. WESTJET has a 2 day seat sale going on right now.

Already have reports that Ontario, BC and Sask will be represented at the season opening race! We look forward to seeing everyone on the track again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.