Search

2014 Off Road Racing Season

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sandvichmaking
Who all is planning on going to the hank? It would be awesome to see how many of us are going down.
Me
Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

As a relative newbie to the offroad scene, and a long time onroad guy, I love the ideas of keeping it to a small scale, and most importantly KEEPING IT FUN. Keep the travel to a minimum. AB has some very strong clubs, and getting all these members to travel 1-3hrs MAX is a great start. Expecting that everyone will travel 3+ is expecting to much.

This is how i feel about the current Wcics. When Wcics started out as a tri city race (Edmonton/Lethbridge/Calgary) participation was HUGE. The number of guys from each club who ran ALL races was fantastic. You saw all the same faces at every single race. What gradually happened was, more clubs wanted in. I personally am against it, until your numbers prove your members are ALL attending the current batch of races. And you have a large current membership. I completely agree with Will on the other thread.

If you spread it out too much, the number of racers who can travel drops dramatically, which is proven with the current Wcics. My issue with that - currently in the Wcics you dont even see people you are in a points battle with. You may see them at one race thats it. Id suggest keeping it small, have Reps for the individual clubs, the tech can be at a club level (it works at a club level, why get more stringent at a race with zero prize money etc?) which requires much less volunteers, and basically run the race weekends like an extended club race, only with alot more faces from out of town.

Greater the travel distance, the lower the numbers who will travel. The more races that are out of your budget/time etc, you are more likely to not bother with any of the closer races too. The more the fun and less politics, the more numbers are likely to attend.

Last edited by axle182; 04-15-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Tech Addict

Just so you know the Hank Perry is not part of our "series", a number of racers attend because it is a fun event to go to. The people there are laid back friendly, and you get to meet guys from BC as they come down too. All I can say is after going last year, I get it why its a great race to go to, if you get the chance to go you'll see why others go, and don't forget to bring Ketchup chips.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sandvichmaking
Who all is planning on going to the hank? It would be awesome to see how many of us are going down.
I'm still just a maybe for the Hank. I would love to go, but not sure I'll be able to swing it.

Originally Posted by Woodbutcher
Just so you know the Hank Perry is not part of our "series", a number of racers attend because it is a fun event to go to. The people there are laid back friendly, and you get to meet guys from BC as they come down too. All I can say is after going last year, I get it why its a great race to go to, if you get the chance to go you'll see why others go, and don't forget to bring Ketchup chips.
Sounds like fun!

Just to clarify, is the ARCOR series a go for 2014?
Old 04-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by axle182
As a relative newbie to the offroad scene, and a long time onroad guy, I love the ideas of keeping it to a small scale, and most importantly KEEPING IT FUN. Keep the travel to a minimum. AB has some very strong clubs, and getting all these members to travel 1-3hrs MAX is a great start. Expecting that everyone will travel 3+ is expecting to much.

This is how i feel about the current Wcics. When Wcics started out as a tri city race (Edmonton/Lethbridge/Calgary) participation was HUGE. The number of guys from each club who ran ALL races was fantastic. You saw all the same faces at every single race. What gradually happened was, more clubs wanted in. I personally am against it, until your numbers prove your members are ALL attending the current batch of races. And you have a large current membership. I completely agree with Will on the other thread.

If you spread it out too much, the number of racers who can travel drops dramatically, which is proven with the current Wcics. My issue with that - currently in the Wcics you dont even see people you are in a points battle with. You may see them at one race thats it. Id suggest keeping it small, have Reps for the individual clubs, the tech can be at a club level (it works at a club level, why get more stringent at a race with zero prize money etc?) which requires much less volunteers, and basically run the race weekends like an extended club race, only with alot more faces from out of town.

Greater the travel distance, the lower the numbers who will travel. The more races that are out of your budget/time etc, you are more likely to not bother with any of the closer races too. The more the fun and less politics, the more numbers are likely to attend.
The reality is that our off-road race options are a little more limited than on-road when it comes to venues even holding a race at all. I imagine this is due to the cost and labour involved in building and maintaining facilities for outdoor off-road when comparing the two types of racing.

So far we've got confirmed dates for Medicine Hat, Saskatoon, and our Calgary races...but nothing else has been announced in order to even have a new series to really discuss.

I agree to a point that travelling too far can be a deterrent, but in comparison to the winter driving for an on-road racing season, the summer off-road trips are pretty easy to make with the road conditions being that much nicer.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

20 years ago for off road there were no point series. Every track get just ran their own trophy race and people still traveled to BC and vise versa. Why do we need series when most of the people that travel just want to race a bigger race and see old. They won't stop travel because there's no points on the line.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ophidian
20 years ago for off road there were no point series. Every track get just ran their own trophy race and people still traveled to BC and vise versa. Why do we need series when most of the people that travel just want to race a bigger race and see old. They won't stop travel because there's no points on the line.
+1
Old 04-16-2014, 07:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

+1

The more I think about it, the more I agree with this. Seems like the time and effort involved in setting up and running a series is probably not worth it.

If people have the time, can afford it and are interested enough, they will travel. If not, they won't. I think it's that simple.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

ARCOR is more of a tally of how you raced in Alberta over the summer in the one off trophy races, so you can brag about your finish & to get sponsors.

Each track holds their own trophy race, no tech, just fun racing.
There's no smoke or mirrors, ARCOR get's no money it's just a name.

Edmonton is out this year while they get their land deal sorted out.
GP - out this year to re-tool
Stettler said they were to small a group to pull off a big race.

Red Deer is the only track we haven't heard from

The 2 races in Calgary is because the rocky mountain meltdown was suppose to be Lethbridge's race.
I would think if Lethbridge gets a track and wants to hold a race, that this race would move there.

It's going to be a lot of club racing this year with little travel as 3 possibly 4 tracks are out.
We've gone from 8 big races down to 4 one off trophy races.

I personally can't get anywhere farther than 3 hours due to family & work.

Last edited by chongo; 04-16-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Tech Adept

Red deer will be holding a race this summer. We have not had our AGM yet (to be held in early May) so I cannot officially post a date yet but we are looking at July. You can 100% bank on us holding a race. Fact of the matter is we need to hold a big race. If Edmonton is out this year I will table the idea of 2 races this year but no promises as we are a small club with only a few race members so help can be hard to get at times.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

GP - out this year to re-tool
What better way to retool than with $ from a trophy race?? Host it and we will come!!!

Later,
Old 04-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by CoryD
What better way to retool than with $ from a trophy race?? Host it and we will come!!!

Later,
By Re Tool we mean rebuild and focus on the club itself. We desparately need more member's showing up on a regular basis for club races than we need a big trophy race.
Plans are in the works for 100 City sponsored events this year, to celebrate the City of Grande Prairie's 100th anniversary. A few of these will directly focus on the GPMRA with advertising on local radio and newspaper's.
Not having a big race series this year is actually a blessing for us as it allows us to focus on these local events and bring a huge amount of exposure to our club.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Alright gonna let you guys in on the big secret we have been keeping. Now that our proverbial ducks are all in a row. The City of Grande Prairie and the Downtown Association had approached us and asked if we would do some events for them this year. This is the dates of the events and if any of your club members would like to come up we could use the extra people. Every event has trophy's and possibly prizes being put in as well. The dates are set but the events may change. If things do I will make sure to keep you in the loop.

May 31 Sidewalk sale, Drag race (using traxxas drag system)
July 1, Canada Day, Bash, (Possible huge jump where you try to land in a shopping cart)
July 24-26, Downtown car show, (On-Road Racing)
August 24, York Hotel lot, Truck Pull (Tractor Pull with a scale pull trailer)
September 14, Extreme RC, Figure 8 race (Should be absolute chaos and a ton of fun, anything up to 1/8 scale)
Old 05-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

Default Hello From Red Deer

I would like to announce that Red Deer will be holding the First Annual "Battle at the Bend" July 11- 13th 2014. More details to follow and registration will be up soon on RC Signup. Hope to see you all there.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

To summarize, these are the dates that have been announced:

Calgary - ‘Rocky Mountain Meltdown' - June 21-22

Red Deer - ‘Battle at the Bend' - July 11-13

Calgary - ‘Nitro Stampede’ - Aug. 1-3

Saskatoon - 'Cruise Weekend' - Aug. 22-24

Medicine Hat - ‘The Shootout’ - Aug. 15-17

Last edited by Jordan Anderson; 05-24-2014 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Med Hat date changed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.