Wiki Posts
Search

Winnipeg Indoor On-Road Carpet Racing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone have any objections to me running a silver can in my VTA until my SXX comes back from Associated?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

No, but we reserve the right to hassle you and subject you to good-natured ribbing over it. ;-)
Old 10-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi, I went by Eliminator and they do have a couple new carbon fiber chassis in but they are $500. I also looked at the more affordable Tamiya kits for under $200. I'll still need a body, motor, rims and tires.They come with a speed control.I do have a few 20 year old brush motors, are they acceptable? The batteries I have are 6 cell 7.2 1800mah. are they acceptable? What do you guys think of the Tamiya kits? I thought I would ask a few questions now before I come down to the track to see where I'm at with what I already have. Any feed back would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Formula-vee
Hi, I went by Eliminator and they do have a couple new carbon fiber chassis in but they are $500. I also looked at the more affordable Tamiya kits for under $200. I'll still need a body, motor, rims and tires.They come with a speed control.I do have a few 20 year old brush motors, are they acceptable? The batteries I have are 6 cell 7.2 1800mah. are they acceptable? What do you guys think of the Tamiya kits? I thought I would ask a few questions now before I come down to the track to see where I'm at with what I already have. Any feed back would be appreciated. thanks.
I would suggest looking into getting a couple of LIPO 2C 7.4v batteries and a LIPO charger, a 21.5 brushless motor is what the VTA guys have settled on. As for chassis a lot of guys are running older sedan chassis and there are lots of guys who would sell you something that would fill the need.

A fellow named Revt95 might have a TOP Photon (competitive sedan chassis) with very little use that he might be willing to part with (PM him).

You may find a few guys at the track might have some used items to sell or some good advice what to look for. Your crystal based radio will work, though you may want to upgrade eventually.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm all for saving money, but running 1800mah batteries from 20 years ago probably won't get you the run times to finish a qualifier....they may have been 1800 new, but they are probably closer to 800mah now, due to chemical degredation.... Depending on what chassis you end up running, you can get some pretty decent 2S lipos for under $30, and a basic charger for around $50

The motors might be OK to get you started, but definately be getting yourself a brushless motor and ESC for Christmas!....any idea what turn the ones you have are? 19T? 27T?

Chassis wise, as long as you can adjust basic things like camber, ride height and toe angle, plus be able to tune your suspension with oil and springs, the inexpensive tamiya cars aren't that bad. In fact, there is a group of us that race TT-01, DF03ra and XV-01 cars out in the snow, and they have been pretty decent. In my opinion, and take it for what it's worth, until you can turn lap after lap after lap within about 0.5s of each other, a $500 chassis won't make you faster. Work on having fun first, work on your consistency next, then work on getting faster....>THEN buy a golden carbon fiber aluminum monster....
Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, just thought i'd stop in here and say hi. As well as give you my transponder info.

boosted Tc 2465269
VTA 6660772

Also, i'm not sure if anyone would be willing but i need a body painted for TC. If anyone is willing to help out it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike29
Hey guys, just thought i'd stop in here and say hi. As well as give you my transponder info.

boosted Tc 2465269
VTA 6660772

Also, i'm not sure if anyone would be willing but i need a body painted for TC. If anyone is willing to help out it would be greatly appreciated.
Mike. Ask Jason. If you need his contact info PM me.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mike29

boosted Tc 2465269
VTA 6660772

Mike, PRC is painting bodies again. PM him if you need something fast, I'm sure he would be able to help.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys, Jason has my VTA body already, i'll try and get ahold of him.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Mad lap Mikey.
I can do a one color job for you if you like. My specialty.

To those newer to onroad, I don't think there is a person that races who wouldn't be willing to help if asked.
Just show up the first day and ask questions. Most of us have basements full of perfectly good cars and equipment if you wanted to get started cheap.

D.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Ya i might just do that too
Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the info. I've been researching RC cars on the net and theres more to them than I ever thought. After considering everyones advise I'll visit the track before I do anything! It seems the best move is to start with everythng brand new. See you all at the track and thanks again.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:51 AM
xc7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

smart choice...

there is a wealth of info available from some of these vets....

and there is always the good/better/best in rc's, but definitely less noticeable running VTA's imo, as you don't need top of the line gear to start this class and to have fun.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:53 AM
xc7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thistle
No, but we reserve the right to hassle you and subject you to good-natured ribbing over it. ;-)
I'm going to have to agree with you sir !
Old 10-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Default Upgraded location.....

Carpet racing is still on!

But we've recently experienced a bump in the road.... that has resulted in an even larger location! This is going to give us even more pit space and room for a full sized open track (no support posts!!!). It's funny how things work out and in our case the building we lined up was recently sold... The end result is that our deal for the Juno location went poof!

As luck would have it a location opened up in the Inkster Industrial park @ 101 Plymouth Road. Many of the old timers will remember we've been located in this area many times over the years with good success. We're still optimistic to start the season on November 4th, but with the recent change in venue may push the first race date to November 11th.

We're looking forward to a great season of toy car racing in a location that is going to be one of the largest, wide open locations we've ever been in. As I've said before, there will be the occasional snag and we’ll work through them as they come up..... with a little help from our friends.

Keep checking the forum for further details, we'll be posting updates as we move forward. If you have any questions post them here or contact us at [email protected] for anything you'd like to discuss offline.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.