Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rcgears

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.05 average.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'd like to help but working afternoons M-F and am moving on the 26th (earliest I could get the place). If I can I'll try to get by on Sunday

Dale
Old 04-16-2014, 07:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stulec52
where's the confusion?
I can't do next weekend, due to something I booked last year.
I can't even get out to race until my kids are done their mid week activities.
I have my Mum here for 4 weeks in the Summer, and I'm going on vacation.

I bought my membership to support the club (increased by 50%)
I feel pretty confident I won't get 8 hours volunteer time in, and I as expect to only get 8-10 mid week races in, it works out MUCH cheaper for me to race as a non member.

or am I missing something??

understand I'm not mad, pi$$ed off, or anything like that.
I just am trying to race toy cars on a budget, and within the confines of the limited free time I get.
The point of the $200 penalty for members that don't volunteer is that the club needs volunteers to put in man hours.

The track isn't going to build itself...

The Christmas lights don't set themselves up at bankers hall either...

If it was about the money, for $25 an hour I'd just buy my time back, but that's not the point...

As it stand's, R/C Gears is a small club. So for the club to be successful, everyone has to pitch in!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Let's not put Stu up and roast him. He's being honest. The nights he can make it out, he will. But he can't commit to that much time. His daughter is in dance and he has to put in time there. It's his busy season coming up with his work. It sounds like he has a lot of other stuff as well. The membership requirements don't work for him. They may work for the majority but not for the minority of people. It sounds like Stu, in this case is the minority.

He wants to come out and have a good time. He will when he can and he will help when he can. Really, that's all we can ask for. And as a club, a guy who's coming out every now and again, it's still money everytime he comes out.

Let's just not judge to bad and make it so people don't want to come out and/or join the club.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I remember last year that I put in a lot of time clearing water off the track using my own shovel and broom. This was to hope the track would dry before practice or races started at 6:30 (or whenever practice time was scheduled to start).

It was aggresively suggested to me numerous times by a certain club member that I should NOT be there AT ALL before the scheduled times.

Because of the resistance I got by volunteering to be there early to clear water off the track so others could enjoy a show up and drive experience, I was to assume club members were not suppose to help out with the club, as there was a lot of negative reactions towards me, and I assume others helping out.

I guess my point being I find it rediculous that club members will be punished for not helping out how they can.

Just my opinion and observation.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
Let's not put Stu up and roast him. He's being honest. The nights he can make it out, he will. But he can't commit to that much time. His daughter is in dance and he has to put in time there. It's his busy season coming up with his work. It sounds like he has a lot of other stuff as well. The membership requirements don't work for him. They may work for the majority but not for the minority of people. It sounds like Stu, in this case is the minority.

He wants to come out and have a good time. He will when he can and he will help when he can. Really, that's all we can ask for. And as a club, a guy who's coming out every now and again, it's still money everytime he comes out.

Let's just not judge to bad and make it so people don't want to come out and/or join the club.
+1
Old 04-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wil02
I remember last year that I put in a lot of time clearing water off the track using my own shovel and broom. This was to hope the track would dry before practice or races started at 6:30 (or whenever practice time was scheduled to start).

It was aggresively suggested to me numerous times by a certain club member that I should NOT be there AT ALL before the scheduled times.

Because of the resistance I got by volunteering to be there early to clear water off the track so others could enjoy a show up and drive experience, I was to assume club members were not suppose to help out with the club, as there was a lot of negative reactions towards me, and I assume others helping out.

I guess my point being I find it rediculous that club members will be punished for not helping out how they can.

Just my opinion and observation.
I imagine you got negative feed back because I'm pretty sure it's part of our lease that if there is anyone at the track there has to be a member of the exec there with them. It might be part of our insurance as well I'm not sure. I could be wrong but this is probably why.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I understand where Stu's coming from, but there are plenty of other opportunities to volunteer for the club besides the track build. Ie. Light setup, light tear down, World of Wheels, membership drives...

To be a club member and say you won't volunteer at all is ridiculous IMO.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If the 8hr volunteer commitment wasn't explicitly explained to folks when they got their memberships, I'd hope Gears would offer them a full refund if that's the way they want to go.

If the club's going to roll with the 8hr / $200 thing, it had better be explained to people upfront what the expectation is.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
Let's not put Stu up and roast him.
Agreed. Sorry Stu.

I can see what Stu's getting at and it's a flaw with the $200 / 8hr thing, so it's something the club exec should give some thought to.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sandvichmaking
I imagine you got negative feed back because I'm pretty sure it's part of our lease that if there is anyone at the track there has to be a member of the exec there with them. It might be part of our insurance as well I'm not sure. I could be wrong but this is probably why.
This was never explained to me. I was accused of stealing a broom and shovel from the club. Because, you know, nobody but rcgears has shovels and brooms. I was also asked if I had to break the door open to get these items. WHAT!?!

I understand insurance issues and if it was explained I would have been more than cooperative.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jordan Anderson
I understand where Stu's coming from, but there are plenty of other opportunities to volunteer for the club besides the track build. Ie. Light setup, light tear down, World of Wheels, membership drives...

To be a club member and say you won't volunteer at all is ridiculous IMO.
Whatever
Old 04-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Matt, did you mention it to Larry or Brian? Im sure someone would have looked into it. Stealing a broom, LMAO. Id appreciate someone taking the initiative to help out. Great attitude

Im hoping to be out there Saturday/Sunday. What time during the week do you guys expect to be out there? If i can make it out after work, ill be there.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by axle182
Whatever
Actually, the majority of R/C Gears members (well the ones that bother to attend the AGM) feel the same way. That's why the 8hr / $200 thing was voted in at the AGM...

If you're not willing to volunteer, you can either pay $200 or don't be a member. Those appear to be the choices. Seems pretty simple to me.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Wil02
Due to the events taken place at the 50/50 race today, I will no longer be supporting or attending any RCgears events.
I thought you were done with R/C Gears?
Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ok going forward executive will only discuss this on here and better yet offline.
It was suggested and passed at the last AGM, 8 hrs commitment and with the option to opt out of the work commitment at a cost of $200. This was emailed to the members from last year and posted on rctech and facebook, I dont know what more we (exec) could have done. We mistakenly did not make it clear again to the members that bought memberships this past weekend and we apologize for this. We will be more than willing to refund the memberships to anyone that does not feel comfortable with the work commitment. But understand that depending how often you come out during the season for practice and race days it will probably cost more than the $200 commitment fee. Again the exec apologizes for the issue this may have caused some members, we all just want to get racing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.05 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.