Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Carcar

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Colin... take it to PMs and stay off the Carcar thread
Old 09-12-2018, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Madulla
Colin... take it to PMs and stay off the Carcar thread
Sorry Cal, I am just sick of seeing the guy try and trash Ryan and his track as if it was his god forsaken right to have the world bend over backwards for him and only him.

That's all, I'm done now.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ColinH
Ron.... Do you realize the person you are referring to can still see all this?

I don't understand your need to go on and on about it. The motor and tires are in place because Ryan is running a Spec points series. If you don't want to run spec, race mod TC and usgt, straight up..... I'm fairly certain you were at One10 just as much, if not more than myself last year. Not to mention you had no issues going just as fast as I was. Your out of town/new to the hobby argument is pedantic and not an excuse for you to treat Ryan like he's gone and kicked your dog.

If you had maybe approached Ryan in a polite manner instead of immaturely calling him a cry baby, while doing much of the same, over a public Facebook post, or carrying on something that could have been answered with a few private messages rather than crying and pouting on Facebook, I'm sure you would still be allowed at One10. But because you continually drag One10 and "this guy" into a constant rag fest, Ryan has a full right to kick you from a community page in my opinion. You don't support the decisions of the track, you trash his name in attempt to make yourself feel better, and you want respect from him and the people who race there!?

My 0.02.......

Sorry Cal that he followed me off Fb into your thread . Look forward to supporting CarCar and ats and Wcics as usual this year.

Last edited by RevolutionM; 10-21-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:01 AM
Tech Adept

"Amazing how much of a baby a guy can be over RC cars pathetic" and the rest of that post - Ron Korolak

As I said, if you talked to RYAN, the OWNER, instead of incessantly "voicing your opinion" over social media, everything would be good. But you chose the wrong road dude. You haven't messaged Ryan once in all this, why? Lord knows. Instead of posting your opinion you should have been having a conversation with him in PM's. I can't say I'm a fan of 21.5 either, but you know what? It doesn't matter what I think. I'm ONE person - That's a concept you need to beat into your narrow-minded skull.

Adios.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kerry
Hello Race Fans
The new indoor R/C season is fast approaching. CARCAR will be holding its AGM on September 5th, 2018 at the Calgary horseshoe Club at 6pm. we will be tentatively starting our season and having the first club race on Friday September 28th ( to be confirmed ) an agenda will follow, but if you would like to have something on the agenda please forward the topic onto myself at [email protected] and will we be sure to add. if you have any questions please let us know and we look forward to seeing you all there and the looking forward to the new season.
'kids are super excited to come down again and race with you guys👍
Old 09-13-2018, 05:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Karter44
What I don't understand is what WCICS is trying to accomplish. What's broken ?

I've heard noises about not being friendly enough to newcomers but what's not clear (to me, at least) is what is keeping them away -is it too fast (intimidating) or too expensive -or perhaps both ?

If 17.5 is too much motor for you (and I would agree it it for someone starting out), then there is USGT for you. If it's too expensive, well....a 21.5 isn't going to cost you any less. At some point, the cost to race R/C is the cost and if it's not in your budget, then maybe R/C isn't for you. At one point, I would have said that there is Mini for people who are sensitive to startup costs but a reliable race-ready mini really isn't any less than a Touring Car by the time you've put alu parts in all the high-breakage areas.

If MOD and Stock times are so close, why not kill MOD ? (zipping up flameproof suit !). IMHO, people run MOD to have a second class and get more laps and some of us just need to be always buying and building something new. Nothing wrong with that but as far as common-sense goes, if a class doesn't offer people any sizzle, why keep it ?
agree👍
Old 09-13-2018, 06:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think it is important to note to any potential members or people reading our Carcar thread that this argument is an Edmonton affair and not representiive of Carcar and it's membership.

Perhaps guys we could take this to a better place and get back to what's important ..... Making fun of Ivan and Blaine. 😊
Old 09-13-2018, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by scubierex
I think it is important to note to any potential members or people reading our Carcar thread that this argument is an Edmonton affair and not representiive of Carcar and it's membership.

Perhaps guys we could take this to a better place and get back to what's important ..... Making fun of Ivan and Blaine. 😊
agreed 👍👍👍
Old 09-13-2018, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scubierex

But Ivan is soooooooo slow.. And Blaine is soooo handsome.. How can we ever make fun of those guys?

Old 09-13-2018, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Akhor
But Ivan is soooooooo CHEAP.. And Blaine is soooo handsome.. How can we ever make fun of those guys?
There I fixed that for you...LOL
Akhor likes this.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Akhor
But Ivan is soooooooo a BUDGET RACER.. And Blaine is soooo handsome IN HIS OWN MIND.. How can we ever make fun of those guys?
This is what Blaine really means.

Ivan
Old 09-13-2018, 10:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If MOD and Stock times are so close, why not kill MOD

Because I’d have fewer people to taunt as their motors vaporized. Sure, I’ve alwats got Ivan and Blaine, but in this case, it’s better to have some backup. Also, you can’t class CTA as an entry level class when half the field are running the latest offerings from the $1K chassis of the month club.

Anyhoo, now I’ve angered a large portion of you, I’d like to ask about mini. Will it be a Sunday thing? Should I just save it for practice nights?

I realize I’ve probably asked about this already, but I’ve been through the ICU chemical brain mashing routine again, and search on this site could be better.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Jim you have angered me (<-- see ? angry face).

To answer your Mini question......well.....Mini is.......Mini. I think it's safe to say that the club supports the class and that if enough of us bring out Minis to make a race worthwhile, we will be racing Mini. That said, the last few years have shown that people don't seem to WANT to run Mini. (I'm angry about that, too !). Sunday will absolutely support Mini but the same argument holds true in that you can't race with 2 or 3 people -unless you're Ivan and are trying to guarantee yourself a podium.

There has been some talk (full disclosure, we were at a bar, drinking) of trying to run Mini with Sweep slicks to make them more driveable. Raz and Sammy have tried them and like them a lot better than S-Grips (but hey, what do they know anyway ?). For Sunday, we are trying to encourage newcomers to look at USGT instead of Mini as it provides a better progression up to TC Stock as they get faster. Even my 7 year old won't touch Mini since I let him drive my touring car !

I have a number of Minis and a crapload of parts so I want to run Mini. I'll bring mine, you bring yours, and we will childishly taunt anyone who doesn't bring theirs.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just some observations.

The “bread and butter” of the club I think is the TC stock (17.5 blinky) and TC modified (any turn motor) classes. People have other cars and they can be considered the support classes. They include and I’ll rank in terms of speed:

- Tamiya Euro Truck: last years new box stock class, realistic body, close racing
- Tamiya Mini: really great beginner friendly class, decent handling cars
- F1: as realistic body as you can get, rear wheel open tire racing
- USGT/Scale Spec: 21.5 turn motor, scale realism bodies (original intention)
- (TC Stock)
- 12th Scale Stock: 17.5 turn motor, foam tire racing
- (TC Modified)
- 12th Scale Modified: as fast you you can go

Carcar is a very lucky club in that we have a semi-permanent track (Winter: October to March), low membership fees with super duper benefits like free practices every Tuesday and Wednesday nights with lower race fees Friday nights! On Friday nights, generally everyone runs the TC Stock class with some of the faster guys only running TC modified and only a few running both classes. Most people only run one class cause it’s more ‘relaxing’ or not feel rushed as time goes by pretty fast on Friday nights and they can work on car setup and socialize a bit more. Nothing wrong with that.

I think at the AGM we talked about slowing down Friday nights to stay consistent with say maybe qualifying rounds each hour and do the finals on the 4 round. Doing this may get more guys to maybe run 2 classes where the 2nd class can be one of the support classes mentioned above. Over the last few years this is usually Tamiya Mini/F1/12th scale and last year it was Euro Trucks a few times. If we can get this to happen I think we will see more guys racing Friday nights and see more different cars out on race night.

I haven’t been out on practice nights in the last few years but I’ve heard consistently here are a lot of newer guys out racing cars like Mini but never come out to race nights. Whatever the reason why (maybe some club guys could ask and see how we can change that if possible), hopefully we can steer these guys out to race night to even further the numbers on Friday nights.

I know the club has been doing a bunch of things to get publicity for this fun hobby to more Calgarians and that has been slowly showing promise with what the exec has been telling us which is great to hear. Sometimes in this hobby we get bogged down into all the technical mumbo jumbo that confusing anyone who isn’t in this hobby.

Here’s what I think is key:

- Promote our hobby at events, etc
- Gain that interest where someone contacts someone at the club or comes down to the track and watch
- Have some club cars ready for someone to try (seriously it should be a Tamiya Mini or Eurotruck) that handles decently (that means goes straight and turns left and right equal)
- Make sure the enviroment these protential members are in is FUN and FAMILY FRIENDLY
- Be up front about the cost and understand the initial investment is the hardest pill to swallow
- If you can get past this step then the key I think is get members now to maybe mentor and show this newbie about setup, driving lines, etc.
- If these guys are coming out now to practice nights then awesome!
- Next transition, race nights!!!
- This may take time. That’s ok!
- Now our next job is every race night imagine if we had spectators out watching us race, we make sure we demostrate this hobby in a way where you can have competitive racing at different levels but done so where everyone is having a great time in a FUN and FAMILY FRIENDLY environment.

I think I went off on a tangent somewhere but basically I’m looking forward to this coming season and looking forward to seeing old faces and hopefully many more new faces at the track.

Ivan
Old 09-13-2018, 11:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Cool. I *think* you answered my questions, but there was a lot of blah, blah, blah in there, so I got distracted by a funny video of penguins on YouTube. It’s a bit like the Bible. The important part are those 10 simple rules, but someone loused it up with with a bunch of heresay and fairy tales.

Anyway, I’ll be ut on Sundays or practice nights more frequently than race nights. Just looking for mini wheel time. The idea of running Sweep slicks is a hugely great idea. They’re cheaper, longer lasting and more consistent than the garbage Tamiya’s been hawking for the past 5 or 6 years.

I’m really glad the club is doing some promo. Invisibility won’t win any fans here. Maybe come up with a “go to” cars and components for newbs to start them in the right direction.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.