Wiki Posts
Search

Elevated Pit lane

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Elevated Pit lane

I'm doing some investigating for when my club begins the process of building our new track this summer...

www.skoffroad.ca

Credit for the new killer design goes to Budz. He is truely dedicated to this hobby!

What I'm looking for are some ideas/suggestions for an elevated pit lane similar to what was used at this year's Winter Nats.

I'm wondering what height/length, etc and any tips/thoughts for the build...

Thanks!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...FinalSmall.jpg
Old 04-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default pitlane

Jagger:

Priority***** Safety for all involved!!!!

1. I would suggest 30" high for height not counting the raised block that the vehicles need to be lifted onto to be refueled.

2. If possible at least 3' wide ( more if possible, 4' would be great to handle big trucks coming in and leaving without accidents) and at least 3' per pit stall ( if you are running 12 cars then at least 36' for pits, not counting entry and exit ramps).

3. Something to make sure the vehicles slow right down upon entry and exit of the pit lane ramps, either a devise like at the Winter Nat's to stop the vehicle (wing catcher) if it comes in to fast or a narrowed shute to slow them down.

4. Also making entry ramps well marked and bright for those that are impaired for sight (like me...haha)

5. Also the boxes for each pit stall for fuel and igniters and tools was very cool at the Winter Nat's.

6. Tables behind the pit lane for starter boxes etc, and even extra tables to have as warmup the race before like at the Winter Nat's and Calgary and maybe even a monitor so the pitman can see where his driver stands in the race. ( the monitor absolutely saved my bacon at last years Final in Calgary as there was a problem with my transponder counting and my son was able to point this out to the RD and they rectified the problem excellently).

There may be more but that should pretty well do it.

Last edited by 7.5man; 04-13-2007 at 08:57 AM. Reason: add to answer
Old 04-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Dude,

Heres a quick pic of what a section should look like.

And I'll let Kevin know I'll send him a set of construction drawings to use at his shop.

And here is a link, http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o...ackPreview.flv to see the track animation from the drivers stand at eye level, 13' - 6".

Regards,
Budz
Attached Thumbnails Elevated Pit lane-pit-lane.jpg  

Last edited by Budz; 04-13-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advice guys - we were sort of anticipating what was said... but it is nice to hear some input!

Thanks again!