Wiki Posts
Search

WCIC '06/'07

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I thought the Calgary club was open for practice for anyone who did not traval to the events? + I do know they open up the track to other groups as well, Mini T types etc, so I'm not sure I buy the lack of revenue argument.

Why not keep as is for this year, although let's lock down the dates on here as soon as possible, but for next year would it be possible for the club to have their AGMs earlier so that any issues or questions are dealt with with time to spare.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the series is staying as is for this year. that has been decided. as for lost revenue on weekends that events are being held. sure it does we dont pay for practice at our facility its part of being a member(for those who pay and support the club) and we only open the doors for practice if guys want them to be in order to maintain interest.(i would like to see all of our members travel) i guess i look at things differently, from a financial stand point, last year was touch and go and i bank rolled the club for most of the year, then we had all of our stuff stolen(cost to replace 90% of the stuff was close to $5000), if it wasn't for a select few contributing 100's of dollars from there own pockets, this season would not exist. so i think i have a very clear prospective on the financial side of things and lost revenue. BOB the website issue is a good idea, i threw the idea around a couple of years ago, all the clubs put in a $100 and bam!!!! you have the best way to promote the series. but we need a computer/web guy to step up and organize it.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Bob, thanks for the invite, just when is your carpet race...I'd make every effort to attend if you have one.
We were at your Mountain States offroad race in '92...I still have the "Airtonics" t-shirt. Ran the RC10 MIP Legend 4wd under the lights till after 10pm at 93*F. The only place still open was Pizza Hut. And the motel was $30 (US). Ah, memories.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Whether it be due to finances, family, or simply wanting to have fun with this sport, instead of driving around the country side (which ive also heard alot). Its simple. When looking at your winter series, if you have 3 races, its ALOT easier for far more people to attend all three races which are well spaced out, than it is if there were 4-5-6 races. And thats the main suggestion from our for the series, bulk up the numbers attending each race meet. Anyone suggesting more events hasnt tackled the problem of a watered down series. Bobs math proves that each event was watered down.

The stats proved this. Bob, you asked us to ask the guys who didnt turn up to all the events last season, this was done at our AGM, its all in Kerry's post from our AGM. All that were there, understood the feelings of the majority of the club members.....

Stu how do you get continued growth from those numbers???? I agree with Rod, the low numbers simply means that with more races, each club in itself is watered down on more weekends due to the die hards driving out of town to race. The only growth you are seeing is more races NOT racers.... and whats the key here? Im speaking for the members of the club, stu, re-read Kerry's post.

I guess a bit of an analogy, if we modeled this series around someone like say Dwayne Floddel (sorry dwayne lol) we would have a 17 races series, all around west canada, all points counting. Numbers would be low (as outlines in the stats) few would travel, and you end up with a series where only certain races count etc. But if we were to see the series built around new drivers, guys who got into this sport for fun, who cant take too much time off work, who dont want to be away from family, who would like to travel a few times a year to race against alot of people. My reasoning, there are alot more new or fun drivers out there than the Dwayne's (your fun too dwayne!) and numbers breed popularity for the sport and series.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Aaron,

if you want to race the same guys at your own club every week, that's perfectly fine, Me, I prefer the bigger events, and in fact last year ran more out of town than in town ( Long story.... I'll be much better this year !!)
The series should though be setup to cater to what the majority want.
But, for the record, I disagree with what the CARCAR club decided, and would prefer a 5 event series.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stulec52
Aaron,

if you want to race the same guys at your own club every week, that's perfectly fine, Me, I prefer the bigger events, and in fact last year ran more out of town than in town ( Long story.... I'll be much better this year !!)
The series should though be setup to cater to what the majority want.
But, for the record, I disagree with what the CARCAR club decided, and would prefer a 5 event series.
Stu I dont think we need it for the record, i understand where you coming from, and your not alone. I know Colin and Dwayne would also love to see more races. And thats fine. Also i never said i only want to race against the same guys at club races, I also want to race against ALL the out of towners when i do travel, not JUST the ones that show up, and the locals. I also prefer the bigger events, BUT they are only big IMHO when alot more drivers attend. Whether or not you agree with the carcar club, like you said, you have to cater to the majority. Hell personally id like to see us all running 10 pan and F1's! now that would be fun!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Exclamation WEB SITE !!!!!

Kerry, the web site idea is absolutely a "MUST DO". Now to find a Techno Geek to put it together.!!!!!

TJ

PS. OK Colin, just to add to your memory lane trip, My then wife & I went to the Los Angeles Times 500 in Jan 1969 just out of at Riverside California, Nascar stock cars on the road course. (Richard Petty in a FORD )Thats when Motel "6" meant 6 bucks a night!!!! I'm sure you can top that!!!!(u bein older than me ) My first race was in San Diego in 1989 with a JRXT truck, magnum JR radio and and 1300 stick packs and a timer charger. I bought it at Hobby Shack in San Diego........I went to buy a Tamiya Blackfoot because a guy at work had one, The guys at the store showed me the Losi JRXT and I was as they say,hooked.

PPS...now who else can I pick on while I sit here and watch it RAIN,and rain and rain , no paving today boys and girls. HHHHMMMMM....... Bars and lounges open at 11am....BEER CLOUDS... Yeh I think so !!!!! & maybe some dry GARLIC ribs XXXXXX NOSCHRIMP!!!!

Last edited by THEBIGBULL; 09-21-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Hmmmmm

I just thought I would throw my own 2 cents in as well. I think most of us don't spend thousands of dollars on this hobby to not travel to big races. If there are 5 races in the series it just allows all racers more opportunity to attend more races. If you only make 2 or 3 no big deal as a 4 race series with a final (best 2 races) gives everyone the chance to travel as little or as much as they want. I would just hate to be limited to a small number of series races and have all the money I put into this hobby focused on 3 or 4 club races as month.
-Kane
Old 09-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I like the Lethbridge race because Dave W knows university chicks to party with and I get to be his designated driver and hang out and watch drunken University girls......
Old 09-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well put john we can argue with the same 5 guys over and over once everyone has had their agms contact the reps for each series and let them know your clubs thoughts untill then lets focus on club level and those university girls. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tight skin
Old 09-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Capt 'Bad Touch' is baccckkkk....
Old 09-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slotcarrod
Do the math on the % of Calgary guys that made every race! That hurt our club. Now you want to have 5 races.

Racer 1 is going to all of them. The club just lost Racer 1 for 5 weeks. Do the math!

Sorry, more out of town racing is not going to help! Keep it at 4!
If there were enough guys left to still hold a race, more guys should have gone...

I guess in the back of my mind I look at it like this. What you likely got is more racers at club races as those guys that went to the bigger events, practiced up for those events. Nobody that travels wants to show up green. More practice is better. You get that at your club races. It's likely that club participation is higher because of your travelers, and better still, the competition there is VERY good.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kerry
...the website issue is a good idea, i threw the idea around a couple of years ago, all the clubs put in a $100 and bam!!!! you have the best way to promote the series. but we need a computer/web guy to step up and organize it...
You guys get it organized, and I'll toss a few bucks in the pot as well. 20 guys with $25 is $500! Adds up quick. I'd save that much time poking around. You can by a low grade PC and get a conection for that. And this pure speculation on my part, maybe part of hosting an event would be to toss in $50-$75 to maintain the WCIC computer and connection. Get 3 more entrys to your event, and you paid for your contribution through better advertising.

There's gotta be some computer wiz high school kid somewhere that could get it going. Once it's up, it's no more work that Killerkevin is already doing to keep track of points.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by c-lyon
Bob, thanks for the invite, just when is your carpet race...I'd make every effort to attend if you have one.
We were at your Mountain States offroad race in '92...I still have the "Airtonics" t-shirt. Ran the RC10 MIP Legend 4wd under the lights till after 10pm at 93*F. The only place still open was Pizza Hut. And the motel was $30 (US). Ah, memories.
I think our carpet race has technically become the Billings race. Better facility, at the hotel, huge pits, stay late, leave your stuff, massive track, Blackstock was there last year, getting tougher to make the show due to excellent competition.

Ah, the offroad, those were fun. The Canadian guys always make the show better. Remember guys like "Cheeto, and Jun", or the Yeo brothers.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
You guys get it organized, and I'll toss a few bucks in the pot as well. 20 guys with $25 is $500! Adds up quick. I'd save that much time poking around. You can by a low grade PC and get a conection for that. And this pure speculation on my part, maybe part of hosting an event would be to toss in $50-$75 to maintain the WCIC computer and connection. Get 3 more entrys to your event, and you paid for your contribution through better advertising.

There's gotta be some computer wiz high school kid somewhere that could get it going. Once it's up, it's no more work that Killerkevin is already doing to keep track of points.
well if we want to setup a wics website, all it takes is $50 or so. The carcar website only costs the club about $50 a year for the domain and the hosting if I remember correctly. If we can get a couple people to help with content for the site, then I could get something put together.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.