Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > California Racing
Mini-Z Racing in SOCAL…better than ever! >

Mini-Z Racing in SOCAL…better than ever!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree44Likes

Mini-Z Racing in SOCAL…better than ever!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.57 average.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Yeah, I hear you about it not being cost effective. I went through 3 sets of PN 20 deg. front tires. Then I went through 2 sets of tires on the rear starting with Kyosho 20's and switched to PN 8's that didn't last either. The PN's have a much better feel at Kenon's RCP which seems a little squishier and a lot more grip than the track I normally run on. I must be too aggressive on tires, but this was including several hours of practice and setting up.

We should run a dNano rally cross event on that track
Old 01-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by greenpea76
Yeah, I hear you about it not being cost effective. I went through 3 sets of PN 20 deg. front tires. Then I went through 2 sets of tires on the rear starting with Kyosho 20's and switched to PN 8's that didn't last either. The PN's have a much better feel at Kenon's RCP which seems a little squishier and a lot more grip than the track I normally run on. I must be too aggressive on tires, but this was including several hours of practice and setting up.

We should run a dNano rally cross event on that track
As long as you adjust ride hight for tire wear and keep the tires trued you can run them down to the rim (specially fronts) and with PN70 power that is a very very long time before tire changes are needed! Also EZ- Spec tire rules (PN slick 8 rears/PN slick 8 fronts) takes guessing and experimentation and therefore buying different tire compounds out of the equation reducing cost down to 4 bucks a pair of tires from there you just gotta tune the car to these tires and keep your eye on the ride height and gear changes for top speed which will be open from now on.

I'm up for dnano rally..lol..if it's just a couple of us on the track we should tune em up the same in limited fashion so their running equal...maybe t-plates, bearings and tires (actually stock tires work pretty good)..glad you have the mazda GT which runs great out of the box and is the same one I got.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys, didn't know this thread existed.

The race that night was extremely fun, although admittedly I didn't follow every single rule of EZ-Spec. I had no clue how to get 8deg slick fronts to work, so I settled on 20deg fronts instead. I don't know how Drew got controllable front grip out of them -- I had trouble with 15deg slick fronts! -- and I would probably suggest EZ Spec eventually go with the more conservative 20deg slick fronts I ended up using.

Also, I was running 11/53 gearing -- no idea you guys were doing running 12 and 13t pinions, that's huge for such a tight track I would think!

RE tire wear, I think it's just greenepa76 being a hard-@$$ driver (and fast too!), lol... aside from the initial hour of setting up, when I used old tires, a fresh set of PN 8's and 20's (rears and fronts) lasted me the entire race night with plenty of meat on the rears to spare. The fronts are almost gone though, I admit -- I started them out a 23mm on a 20mm rim and that's not a lot of rubber to work with. Next race I'll start the front tires at 24mm for more grip, I need to catch up to Drew's ridiculous turn-in steering.

One last note: I can't speak for the business case on the side of the retailers, but as a racer, spec tire racing is probably the best thing you could ever do. Give racers a tested, consistent, well-performing baseline (tires) to start with and let them work out everything else on their own. Even if they're slightly harder than the fastest tire combo, you still have a good even playing field for competitive racing and save racers money 1) not having to find the right tires and 2) if they're harder, they'll take longer to wear (looking at your, greenepa!).
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally EZ-Spec called for 8 rear slicks / 15 x-pattern fronts with truing allowed but as it turned out the production run on that tire was not reliable and it ran out of stock...Grant switched it to 8 fronts since that was the other front (besides 15x) that Chad had a lot of success with running stock.

Super gluing the sidewalls on the 8 fronts helped me a whole lot, otherwise too soft of a feel and just too much steering.

I was doing really good with 15 and harder fronts but once started tuning the suspension to the 8s I'm almost there already...the point of EZ-Spec rules (post #1 n this thread) is same as you mentioned about cost and even playing field including new to mini-z racers or those who have them but haven't hit the track for a while...they can be competitive from the get go.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Addict

the main reason we went to 8 slick fronts is that in initial testing some likes the 15 xp and some liked the 8 slick... so when the 16xp went out of stock i chose the latter to replace it!
imo i think ez spec should be running pn25 slick front and pn8 radials! i can guarantee this combo will last all day!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

It can be any combo as long as we can stick with it for the long haul so we have a chance to tune the cars to those tires
In the meantime just FYI for all my PN8's are NOT wearing down quickly at all, may be I'm driving to conservatively
Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Tech Adept

I guess the 8's are a new compound that I don't know about.

As far as compounds go though, Grant told me the 20deg slicks are essentially the same compound as 15deg X-patterns, so when I tried them out I found out that yeah, they do drive the same. And they do NOT require sidewall gluing, which is one more way to not annoy me, lol...

For EZ Spec I would definitely vote we try using harder tires (25/8 would be great actually) to minimize tire wear and cost. And as mugler noted, the 8's are probably too soft and squirmy in their un-glued form to inspire confidence in newer drivers. That's my 2 cents, let's keep discussing though.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

probably like everyone else I drive better with the harder fronts so I'm with you on that, & less tire wear on top, it's a win win situation.

tire compounds discussed now is a good idea & before final choice is made, on next race day we probably should make some test runs and then run the races with the new choice to confirm that we have a happy compound picked out Grant & Phillip will have to let us know about the long term availability of any chosen tire (huge consideration IMO) or a certain number of spec tires can be set aside for Kenon racers so we know we're not gonna run out in a couple of months.

Last edited by mugler; 01-18-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

REMINDER

TQ RACEWAY MINI-Z PAN MOD CLASS IS THIS SUNDAY 1/23/11!

Doors open @ 9:00 for practice
Racing Starts @ Noon

& of course Friday night club EZ-Spec Club Racing @ Kenon.
Watch out, Grant has some exciting new announcements to make that's going to add a lot of flavor to our racing itinerary.

Originally Posted by spring71
Mini-Z Racers !!

We will have 2011 1st TQ PAN CAR GRAND PRIX with MINI-Z Class on Jan 23rd Sunday.

TQ PAN CAR GRAND PRIX will be held every quarter, Jan, April, July and Oct.

Last edited by mugler; 01-18-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey gang,I have a MR2 2.4ghz.car.In order for me to run the 33 or 32 turn mod motor for the T.Q. race,do I have to have my board modified with fets? If so how many,and what gear combo in 64 pitch? If I don't have to mod the board,what gear combo? Thanks for your time.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xsracer
Hey gang,I have a MR2 2.4ghz.car.In order for me to run the 33 or 32 turn mod motor for the T.Q. race,do I have to have my board modified with fets? If so how many,and what gear combo in 64 pitch? If I don't have to mod the board,what gear combo? Thanks for your time.
I was running 53 spur / 14 pinion on my non-fetted 2.4 02 on that practice day a month ago and everything ran just fine. I stayed as long as maybe 10 minutes a stretch on track, running hard and everything. You have to make sure there's no binding in your drive train such as dirty bearings, wobbly pinions and alike and apparently that's a big help keeping stock fets cool and safe...having said all that i guess there can be no guarantee that nothing will happen so please keep that in mind... I'll let Grant or one of the experts have the final say on this..just sharing my own experience
Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Mulger for your time.A friend spoke to Phil over at Kenon today and was told that at least 4 fets might be required and that it was about a $50.00 job.If that's true than maybe I'll have to wait till the next race.Not to be a sour puss,it's a little too much cash for me right now.We'll wait and hear what the pros have to say.I'm optimistic. Looking forward to meeting you.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Mulger for your time.A friend spoke to Phil over at Kenon today and was told that at least 4 fets might be required and that it was about a $50.00 job.If that's true than maybe I'll have to wait till the next race.Not to be a sour puss,it's a little too much cash for me right now.We'll wait and hear what the pros have to say.I'm optimistic. Looking forward to meeting you.
ok as far as i havs seen 4x3010 fets is good and pn new version motors pull half the amps the old motors used to
i say try it for a lap or 2 and check the temp
i know alex ran with stock fets
and at the tq my motor ran cold even with the LiFe 2c
keep in mind that i\we donot guarentee anything
Old 01-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Master

Yasuji,thanks.Understood about the no guarantees.Now the big question.Will you have any of the motors for sale in your tool box? I can can test it on Friday after work if you can make it.I know you probably have a club race that day.I was just wondering.Thanks for your time.See you on Sunday.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Addict

Yasuji,thanks.Understood about the no guarantees.Now the big question.Will you have any of the motors for sale in your tool box? I can can test it on Friday after work if you can make it.I know you probably have a club race that day.I was just wondering.Thanks for your time.See you on Sunday.
we will have motors for sale @ the track if u cant make it by kenon on friday lmk maybe u can pick up a motor from me on sat @ my shop in montclair

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.57 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.