Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > California Racing
Did you know Parnell jones raced a car that had a turbine engine? >

Did you know Parnell jones raced a car that had a turbine engine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did you know Parnell jones raced a car that had a turbine engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Did you know Parnell jones raced a car that had a turbine engine?

it was developed by STP oil.he raced in the 60"s the engine weighed about 125 lbs,and was faster than all other piston driven race cars,it was also 4 wheel drive.it was protested by other drivers because they couldn't keep up with it,so the limited the air intake to about 60 SQ inches and it still out performed the other cars,he would have won the race but burnt out a wheel bearing,the engine was banned from racing.the last time it was seen it was setting at an engine builders shop in california,the shop i believe was Ed Pinks racing engine builders.the engine produced tremendous power and was small and light,it could burn almost any flammable liquid,the Fuel mileage was better than piston driven engines.also i believe there is going to be a supercharged 2 stroke engine that out performs 4 strokers soon,they don't burn oil with the fuel,so they don't pollute,the hp out put will be 3 times what the same displacement 4 stroke will produce,and be lighter in weight[/B]
Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Really neat car, almost silent. I went to the race with my Dad as a young boy in 1967. I think the car is still displayed in the museum at the Speedway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRr-D...eature=related
Old 09-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pretty cool info. Thanx for sharing.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Yes, I knew.

Vince Granatelli built a one off Corvette with a turbine engine using the technology of his dad, Andy's car. What this has to do with California R/C racing I don't know. It would be a great motor for a long distance, steady throttle application but not for a car that has to stop at traffic lights etc.