Search

Help Needed-Track in Southern California

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Help Needed-Track in Southern California

I am starting an offroad track in palm desert. I have had several meetings with city hall, and today I met Palm Desert city hall at the facility. If anyone is close, it is located behind the old Hobbytown USA in palm desert which closed last year. JBRL round 1 in 2007 was there, along with a couple smaller races.

EDIT as of 12/29/09: Everything is bascially done with the city as far as all their requirements. Just a city council meeting January 16th which will be the final step before I get the land.

If you want to ask anything about the track, PM or post on this thread.

pictures....

Last edited by 8ight-racer; 12-29-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: new info
Old 07-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Should be a good place for a track! Nothing really out there with a pretty good size population.

You need to get some bigger pictures up.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thuren
Should be a good place for a track! Nothing really out there with a pretty good size population.

You need to get some bigger pictures up.

Yes, it is just tucked in in an mountain. There is a hiking trail so there is usually 1 or 2 cars parked by the track.

Can't make pictures bigger until I hit 5 or 10 posts.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I visited the track a few times a couple of years ago when Hobby Town was there... the biggest thing I noticed was the lack of parking.. and you were not allowed to park or stop on the little street/alley that was next to the track. The facility looked nice though!

Talking to some of the locals and the shop that was there, it was apparent that the main reason nobody raced there much was lack of interest and shop support... the shop had some cool items.. lots of selection.. but I noticed right away that they didnt have enough of any particular car to support racing.. no basics.. all bling.. hardly any tires that matched rims people would want to run on the track.. So much potential.. just not realized.

I wish you all the luck! If you get it going I'll try to make it out there with some buddies every now and then!

Jerome
Old 07-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
I visited the track a few times a couple of years ago when Hobby Town was there... the biggest thing I noticed was the lack of parking.. and you were not allowed to park or stop on the little street/alley that was next to the track. The facility looked nice though!

Talking to some of the locals and the shop that was there, it was apparent that the main reason nobody raced there much was lack of interest and shop support... the shop had some cool items.. lots of selection.. but I noticed right away that they didnt have enough of any particular car to support racing.. no basics.. all bling.. hardly any tires that matched rims people would want to run on the track.. So much potential.. just not realized.

I wish you all the luck! If you get it going I'll try to make it out there with some buddies every now and then!

Jerome
About parking, that was a concern for the city. They came up with the conclusion that since the hiking trail right next to it didnt have parking, and the track before, then I wouldnt be required, even though there is no place to put parking.

Edit: Parking will be alongside the street, so hundreds of spaces.

What tires worked good?

Last edited by 8ight-racer; 08-31-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was out in the area for something else the first time I visited.. I just wanted to check it out.. I didn't get a chance to run on it.. it looked more like DG to me.. very light in color and grainy. The next time I was out in the area, I wanted to run on it.. but it rained all day.... poured actually.. lol..

From what it looked like, I would probably tried IFMAR pins or maybe something like a Holeshot for my 1/10 scale cars.

Jerome
Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
I was out in the area for something else the first time I visited.. I just wanted to check it out.. I didn't get a chance to run on it.. it looked more like DG to me.. very light in color and grainy. The next time I was out in the area, I wanted to run on it.. but it rained all day.... poured actually.. lol..

From what it looked like, I would probably tried IFMAR pins or maybe something like a Holeshot for my 1/10 scale cars.

Jerome
Edit: There will most likely be new dirt put in without rock. I think before it was from the Salton Sea and had some clay in it, but mostly rock and DG.

Last edited by 8ight-racer; 12-29-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Edit: I plan to put a cover on the drivers stand for shade when driving. There are some bare wires that need to be addressed. Electrican will come in right after I get the lease approved from city council/the mayor.

Last edited by 8ight-racer; 09-07-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

8 - ygpm
Old 07-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by downtempo
8 - ygpm
Thanks downtempo.

Last edited by 8ight-racer; 08-20-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

I might be able to get some cheap clay. Free, but need to pay gas for the dump truck from AZ to Palm Desert.

Last edited by 8ight-racer; 08-20-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Any comments welcome......This is my 10th post so I can now post pictures now!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Looks like fun.. My buddy and I went down there and saw the whole entire track.. It look like a lot of pit spaces which is good and good size track... Maybe you can be one of the tracks for the JBRL? I'm going a little to far lol... But great space..
Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LittleGoob93
Looks like fun.. My buddy and I went down there and saw the whole entire track.. It look like a lot of pit spaces which is good and good size track... Maybe you can be one of the tracks for the JBRL? I'm going a little to far lol... But great space..
When did you go down there (year)?

Last edited by 8ight-racer; 12-29-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer
When did you go down there (year)? I was thinking about being one of the JBRl tracks next year. I talked to someone and he said he knew Jimmy so it could be on the 2010 schedule.
No i was down there in 2007 for soccer... The fields were like i think a couple miles away.. But Hobbytown use to own the place right? Yea you should if you want..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.