Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by proraptor
Stupid RAIN! haha
X2
Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

too bad we got this rain....The track is rerally fun for short course....The 1st short course specific track at thunder alley
Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Checked out Thunder Alley yesterday for some practice with my new 22T. The track layout is ok, but it is hard to see the back left corner between the elevation changes and distance to the driver stand. I was having a heck of a time keeping it straight on that back section.

This track is definitely built for the bigger/faster buggies and trucks. I'm running a 17.5T stock and I was unable to clear the first jump off the back section (hit chassis and flipped a couple of times before I stopped trying) and the last jump on the back section was hit or miss depending on how I lined up on the down slope.

The track was very hard and very rutted, and I went out looking for a couple of my body clips that fell out and saw that the track is very embedded with rocks. No wonder my chassis is scraped up so bad! (no worries, it's gonna be scraped up no matter what I guess)

I've also been sad to find that they don't seem to race very often, certainly not on a weekly schedule. Based on their website they are now racing twice a month, but it's nitro and short-course only? Guys, stadium truck is coming back so get with the times! It's a shame since I live literally 5 minutes away... I'll come hang out if my buddy wants to practice with his 8ight 2.0, but I don't think I'll practice there any more... and I apparently can't race there at all.

Look forward to the new layout in March.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chadmart
I've also been sad to find that they don't seem to race very often, certainly not on a weekly schedule. Based on their website they are now racing twice a month, but it's nitro and short-course only? Guys, stadium truck is coming back so get with the times! It's a shame since I live literally 5 minutes away... I'll come hang out if my buddy wants to practice with his 8ight 2.0, but I don't think I'll practice there any more... and I apparently can't race there at all.

Look forward to the new layout in March.
Just a quick trip down the 79 to Airland for your truck racing! I, like you would like to see a little more "Electric class" built into the layouts at Thunder Alley. I would also like to add that TA is one of the all time best tracks out there, so be careful what you wish for.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Tech Initiate

I know that the track is famous and whatnot, I guess I just realized that it isn't the track for me. Sad, because it is so close to me I would like to be able to practice there... and I can, but it is so different from any other track that I would actually race at, practice there is likely to not do any good at prepping me for any other track.

The thing is though that they do have electric, they are just focusing on Short Course only, which I think is odd. Look at other tracks and if there aren't enough racers for a certain class, they would put you in somewhere. I don't get that vibe from TA, and it just seems like bad business to alienate any potential customers.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I know that the track is famous and whatnot, I guess I just realized that it isn't the track for me. Sad, because it is so close to me I would like to be able to practice there... and I can, but it is so different from any other track that I would actually race at, practice there is likely to not do any good at prepping me for any other track.

The thing is though that they do have electric, they are just focusing on Short Course only, which I think is odd. Look at other tracks and if there aren't enough racers for a certain class, they would put you in somewhere. I don't get that vibe from TA, and it just seems like bad business to alienate any potential customers.
..the track is more setup for 1/8 ..you got balls to run at ta with a 1/10
Just hit up airland raceway...you'll have more fun with your 22T
Old 01-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Since I live right there, I've been stopping by at every practice night on my way home from work, and 1:10 SC trucks vastly outnumber the 1:8 nitros that practice there. I'm not saying that's how it is when there's an actual race, just how it is on practice nights. As I said I practiced there yesterday and there were probably 4-6 SC trucks and 3 1:8 nitros (and a 1:8 electric)... there was a Jato as well, is that 1:8? or 1:10?

Anyway, if my truck were a little faster (got a new pinion today and am going to play with ESC settings) then none of the jumps would have been a problem. From the track standpoint is is really exciting because you get some great air and there's that element of danger of breaking something, but the massive ruts really suck, as do the multitude of rocks jutting from the surface of the track.

I agree that Airland is probably a better track for me to run at, and I also work right near Pegasus, so they will get a lot of my track time as well.

It just seems to me that if the owner were a bit more friendly towards other classes (buggy, stadium, etc...) then he might make some more money because more people would come there.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:43 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

Yes, it's kind of interesting to find out that in the "capital" of rc racing that is southern california that there is a lack of racing attendance at an awesome track like ta.

I was on vacation last october in palm springs and brought my sc stuff to try out a couple of local tracks in the area. I enjoyed practicing there on a saturday afternoon/evening with about 8-10 other folks. Yes the jumps are immense, but i learned that you dont have to clear triples to have fun on that layout.

To be realistic, I dont think the economy can support weekly racing at some tracks.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Since I live right there, I've been stopping by at every practice night on my way home from work, and 1:10 SC trucks vastly outnumber the 1:8 nitros that practice there. I'm not saying that's how it is when there's an actual race, just how it is on practice nights. As I said I practiced there yesterday and there were probably 4-6 SC trucks and 3 1:8 nitros (and a 1:8 electric)... there was a Jato as well, is that 1:8? or 1:10?

WOW this thread is dead forever and I go on and TA is getting SLAMMED!!
Let me CLARIFY a few things to you new to the sport of RC.

TA is starting it 11th year of existence and we have tried to accomadate the most POPULAR classes in the past years. Levi has always built our tracks and for the most part they are CHALLENGING (which makes you a better driver) and sometimes very technical. It is ABSOLUTLEY IMPOSSIBLE to build an ALL-PURPOSE track to accomadate all scales & sizes of rc cars/trucks.
That's why places like WCRC & OCRC thrive on the smaller scale stuff.
Our SC program is a HUGE hit for all the classes (stock, Mod, 2wd, 4wd)
especially when our Wed night program starts in April. I suggest to you Chadmart to bring 5 more of your stadium truck buddies and we will make a heat for you guys, DEAL?

Anyway, if my truck were a little faster (got a new pinion today and am going to play with ESC settings) then none of the jumps would have been a problem. From the track standpoint is is really exciting because you get some great air and there's that element of danger of breaking something, but the massive ruts really suck, as do the multitude of rocks jutting from the surface of the track.

The MASSIVE ruts are a product of Mother Nature
and may upset the smaller cars but for the most part it is OFF-ROAD racing and the MANY FACTORY teams that test here a couple times a week prefer ROUGH to devolope their products. Next weekend we will close to put in a COMPLETE new layout for the upcoming GRRS race and the JBRL Nitro opener March 31. The rocks again are part of our DIRT makeup and help keepthe track HARD and CONSITENT.

I agree that Airland is probably a better track for me to run at, and I also work right near Pegasus, so they will get a lot of my track time as well.

It just seems to me that if the owner were a bit more friendly towards other classes (buggy, stadium, etc...) then he might make some more money because more people would come there.
The OWNER (ME/ ROB JACKSON) is always looking for ways to increase buisness but our track is FRIENDLY to the most POPULAR classes we have today in the RC Industry,

Suggestion to Chadmart, SC racing is THE most popular racing in the US currently and for maximum fun & dollars spent you may consider picking one up and come have some fun @ TA!!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Now I can get a car round a track again... I have a silly fast motor... will hopefully get over to TA at the weekend!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Levi's Pit Dad
The OWNER (ME/ ROB JACKSON) is always looking for ways to increase buisness but our track is FRIENDLY to the most POPULAR classes we have today in the RC Industry,

Suggestion to Chadmart, SC racing is THE most popular racing in the US currently and for maximum fun & dollars spent you may consider picking one up and come have some fun @ TA!!
That's nice and all, but I don't like the SC trucks, and I don't buy things because they are popular. I buy things because I enjoy them. I enjoy my 22T, and it is an amazing machine. SC trucks just seem... like bricks on wheels? I don't know, and it doesn't matter.

For what it's worth I wasn't trying to "slam" Thunder Alley. I was merely giving an honest review from my perspective, the perspective of a 1:10 stadium truck driver who wants a good variety of places to race. Since TA didn't match my needs I simply offered some suggestions that might swing things my way. Now I know that isn't going to happen, and as such I am happy to stay away from TA for the time being. For what it's worth, Rev is also pretty much "anti" anything smaller than an 1:8 scale and/or SC. At least at TA I could handle most of the jumps. There were some at Rev that I couldn't even come close to clearing.

Perhaps my view will change if I ever get into the nitro stuff... I don't know. I just might do that, as I drove my friend's Losi 8ight 2.0 last night at Rev and it was pretty awesome. It's a big step for me to jump into the nitro thing though, so I don't know if/when that will happen.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Levi's Pit Dad

If you look at his post history he says this about every track and then tries to say he isnt downing it.

I dont think he knows how to communicate his point very well.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Carranza76
If you look at his post history he says this about every track and then tries to say he isnt downing it.

I dont think he knows how to communicate his point very well.
Everybodys entitled to their opinions as long as they have FACTs to back them.
We welcome imput from our visitors as long as is its valid and factual.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Initiate

I just want to reiterate that I am NOT slamming the track. I'm entitled to my opinion the same as anyone else. I realize that as a stadium truck driver I am outnumbered as far as popular opinion goes, and that's fine.

Carranza76, I post my thoughts on each track I go to, as I am just getting back into this hobby. I think it benefits the owners/operators as well as other drivers to have as many viewpoints as possible, even the negative ones.

I drove by TA this morning and the new layout is looking pretty SICK!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dominick i.
To be realistic, I dont think the economy can support weekly racing at some tracks.
Every other local track that I've been to (Rev, Pegasus, and Airland) race two nights a week every week. Two of those tracks are outdoor and have the same weather issues that TA has.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.