Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed on deal going south...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I could be wrong so dont quote me, but I would think that paypal has a way to protect yourself in this situation. Your problem is, there is a dispute open about the transaction, that makes it suspicious in the eyes of paypal.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cosmo
So let's say I do that, and then he doesn't send it to me. Then where does that leave me? I lose twice. I have offered a refund when it gets back to me. I fully intend to honor that. But I see no reason I should before I get it back.
Oh and I forgot, so lets say you get it back, and then dont refund him, where does it leave him? So its a 2 way street.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaymancd
I could be wrong so dont quote me, but I would think that paypal has a way to protect yourself in this situation. Your problem is, there is a dispute open about the transaction, that makes it suspicious in the eyes of paypal.
Not that I know of. I've never known PayPal to care about the seller.

Originally Posted by Jaymancd
Oh and I forgot, so lets say you get it back, and then dont refund him, where does it leave him? So its a 2 way street.
He already has the dispute filed. That's all the protection he needs. He gives them the tracking number, and when it shows up that I got it, he can escalate it to a claim. That way there is proof that he sent it. If for some reason I didn't refund him they would do it anyways.

I've never said I wouldn't refund him. I offered to from the beginning, and I have no intention of doing otherwise. I just want back the working ESC I sent him before I give him his money back.

Maybe I'm wrong in expecting that. But seems to me that if someone wants a refund they need to return the item they want the refund for.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I am the one who purchased the esc on the 1/12 listing that Cosmo had going. I was hoping to use that ESC today however when I went to install it and set it up, it would not calibrate.

As I use Futaba gear like the Futaba 4PLS and have an additional 3PL here, I tried combination of all the following:

- Futaba 4PLS
- Futaba 3PL
- R2104GF receiver
- R204GF-E receiver (2 different ones used)
- glitch capacitor
- 7.4V and 3.7V lipos
- Different models on 4PLS radio
- Different signal setting (S-FHSS, FHSS, etc)
- turn end points all the way up (120% max)
- turned the deadband on the esc settings all the way up from narrow to wide
- tried a lower voltage cutoff on the esc
- motor connected / not connected
- different sensor wires
- different profiles on the esc
- connect electronics to working VTX10R-BE ESC and confirmed it would enter calibration mode with the motor and without the motor connected, with and without Radio on, etc. I could always calibrate at some point, not so with the esc I received.

All in all, I tried pretty much all I could think of from my past experience owning quite a few Viper ESCs. A shame as the esc and card I received looks to be in good shape. I was excited to run it.

As for the ESC I had to return that was part of a package purchase of a 1/12 vehicle, the ESC had a problem with a non-functioning 1S booster on it, a hobbywing 1S 120A V2.1 ESC. The ESC when you had enough voltage would work intermittently, but you could measure with a meter the voltage issue and see the receiver flicker as well as the steering starting and stopping. As I couldn't work an agreed upon acceptable price to keep it and install a booster or partial return for just the ESC which I offered to provide video of the issue in question, I had to send the whole car package back.

Did I think the seller purposely tried to pass off a non-working esc? Nope, the guy was pleasant to deal with (and he was selling it for someone else) and I wish we could have come to a deal, but stuff happens.

As I enjoy viper products, When I saw this esc come available I decided to buy.

As for the dispute, I filed it to follow what I beleive is the proper return procedure through paypal as to be honest I haven't had to do that much at all. Last return was something I bought off of ebay.

As for what was requested of him to make the sale, I wanted to have it here before the race today so I could get it installed. If that was not an option for him to do, he could have just said no. No worries, i would have just gone somewhere else without any ill thoughts of him etc. Sometimes you can't turn water into wine and I get that and I wouldn't have been concerned to deal with him at a later time.

But he did get it out as requested, and I got it quickly, so no worries there. Fast shipping as he said he would.

Ultimately though, the how on completing the purchase and the shipment are neither here nor there when it comes to what is going on now.

As for not sending you the items received, not gonna happen. I don't do that.

Probably my only concern was in our paypal convo it was mentioned:

... If item is in working condition when returned I will refund the purchase price minus cost of shipping ...
well, its not. That is why I am returning it.

The items will go out tomorrow shipped the same way you shipped them via priority mail, and will also be fully insured as well. So in short, i had no intentions of pocketing the esc and the money.

Ultimately my opinion, based on the condition of what I received and what I can gather from the seller, I wouldn't be surprised it was damaged in the mail somehow maybe a jolt that did something as other than the calibration issue, the ESC and card look to be in great condition. I don't believe the seller intentionally sold a faulty esc.

Assuming you as the seller insured the item as you requested that I do when shipping it back to you (which I was going to do anyway and recommend that others always do for anything they sell or return unless they want to be out its cost), I would contact the post office.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

I wasn't selling it for someone else. I was selling it out of my own personal car. Someone else had it because he was using my car as a backup to his own car for a big race he was going to. He never ran the car. Never even went to the race. If you still have the packaging, you'll notice I sent it from my home address - the same one I asked you to mail it back to.

As I have stated many times, and will go to my grave stating - it was 100% operational when I put it in the box. I've been a member here longer than some members have been alive. I have done numerous transactions. Most successful. Some not. But the ones that weren't I always did whatever I could to make it right. Just as I was trying to do here.

I realize I have only 2 feedback scores, but I never really mess with feedback. And back when I was more active here before I stopped racing for many years, I don't think there was a feedback system. I just try to do what is right and trust that others will do the same. That's the whole reason I started this thread. To see if there was anything I should have done differently so it won't happen again in the future.

As for the paypal dispute, I always try to work it out with the other party before filing a dispute and having their account put on hold. But that's just me I guess.

I'll just be glad to get this behind me. A big lesson learned here.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I have offered Cain a refund once the tracking number works.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Tech Legend

I wasn't selling it for someone else. I was selling it out of my own personal car. Someone else had it because he was using my car as a backup to his own car for a big race he was going to. He never ran the car. Never even went to the race. If you still have the packaging, you'll notice I sent it from my home address - the same one I asked you to mail it back to.
I was referring to the other ESC that I had gotten in the package deal that wasn't working due to a bad booster, not what you sold.

As I have stated many times, and will go to my grave stating - it was 100% operational when I put it in the box.
Unfortunately it did not arrive here in that condition.

As a side note, one thing you mentioned that makes me wonder why you may have seen it as 100% functional in your opinion is that the problem is with calibration. You stated in an pm to me when I mentioned my issues with calibrating it that:

... I ran it all season and it worked fine. I only calibrated it once when I first got it. Haven't needed to since....
Hence what I am seeing and your opinion on its condition makes sense when you take both into account as the only thing I can really see that is not working is calibration. the rest of the ESC lights up as I would expect, allows connection to the ez-link, etc.

... I've been a member here longer than some members have been alive. I have done numerous transactions. Most successful. Some not. But the ones that weren't I always did whatever I could to make it right. Just as I was trying to do here.
same here

.. I realize I have only 2 feedback scores, but I never really mess with feedback. And back when I was more active here before I stopped racing for many years, I don't think there was a feedback system. I just try to do what is right and trust that others will do the same. That's the whole reason I started this thread. To see if there was anything I should have done differently so it won't happen again in the future.

As for the paypal dispute, I always try to work it out with the other party before filing a dispute and having their account put on hold. But that's just me I guess.
My impression based on what you pm'd me concerning the condition to get all of what I paid back compelled me to go through paypal. And technically i didn't fully file for paypal to do a ruling etc, from what the paypal rep told me it was a way to facilitate communication with the seller and if I still have issues, to then pursue it further. But it could be what you actually see on the sellers end is in effect basically the same.

I'll just be glad to get this behind me. A big lesson learned here.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I have offered Cain a refund once the tracking number works.
It is true that your last post with paypal differed on your refund condition (assuming the new post is for the full amount this time) versus what you originally had posted about the esc being returned first in working condition, which, since the calibration process won't work, not sure how you do that.

This was my main concern as I would be sending an esc back on the assumption that it "works" etc. when now out of my hands and in yours, with my money out of my hands as well.

I would highly suggest though from past experience, as I am assuming you did insure the package in the manner you requested of me for what I am returning (the box label however looks different than then the one I got here insured and generated online, as mine mentions its insured but the box I have from you doesn't?), that you follow up with the post office. I have been surprised on things I have sent that were tested and ended up non functional once they got there.

As to why the tracking number is not showing up, not sure whats up with that. I just got an "official" email from paypal showing the number in it and can send that to you if you like. Very strange however, but I am going to the post office tomorrow and will have them scan it direct so that will be that on that front. And I'll raise hell with them if its not.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

I never comment on these type of threads, but just a heads-up that I've sent and recieved numerous items in the past few days and USPS is VERY slow right now. Not just in the actual shipping, but entering data into their system and update tracking. The last item I shipped didn't show up in tracking for 3 days.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Considering, Cain has almost 200 positive feedback and seller has 3, Seller has nothing to worry about.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Join date of August 2001? hhmm... I'd refund him with the quickness if I waz you. Nobody here has any doubt that Cain doesn't intend to keep the item he can't use. I would venture to bet he has WAY too much vested interest in his rctech account to screw that up, wouldn't you think? Think REALLY carefully about what I'm saying. Do the right thing.

Since Racer is the key man in disputes, and since he has had his head in here already, ill leave everything up to him. I'm just here giving my .03 cents.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I believe they will hold the money until you receive the item you sold there a protection for buyers and seller it not a one way street
Old 12-01-2015, 11:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnspeed56
I believe they will hold the money until you receive the item you sold there a protection for buyers and seller it not a one way street
That's correct. It goes into an "escrow" acct, so to speak. Once verified that item has made the return, they'll release the funds back to the purchaser. Had to do a couple returns lately, and that was how they worked for me, after least.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Tech Legend

Dropped the package off and had them scan it in. The number is now showing up in the tracking system as "accepted".

They say 2 days, but I figure it will probably show up either Friday or Saturday. Hopefully the post office doesn't play soccer with this one (box showed no signs of damage, but how knows) as I would not be surprised that is where it got damaged based on what Cosmo saw and what I saw.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

If the package was damaged you should have let me know. I could have gone after USPS to cover it. It was insured after all...
Old 12-02-2015, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

If the package was damaged you should have let me know. I could have gone after USPS to cover it. It was insured after all...
Originally Posted by Cain
Dropped the package off and had them scan it in. The number is now showing up in the tracking system as "accepted".

They say 2 days, but I figure it will probably show up either Friday or Saturday. Hopefully the post office doesn't play soccer with this one (box showed no signs of damage, but how knows) as I would not be surprised that is where it got damaged based on what Cosmo saw and what I saw.
^^^I read that as the box being fine when he received it.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Hopefully the post office doesn't play soccer with this one (box showed no signs of damage, but how knows)
Originally Posted by racer1812
^^^I read that as the box being fine when he received it.
This guy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.