Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > Buyer/Seller dispute and discussion forum
Watch out for Melvin from Singapore. Bad Trader. >

Watch out for Melvin from Singapore. Bad Trader.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Watch out for Melvin from Singapore. Bad Trader.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 03:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Watch out for Melvin from Singapore. Bad Trader.

Hi guys,

I recently made a purchase of a used TG10R from Melvin Liew. He assured me that the car was in good condition, and he seemed like a nice guy so I took his word for it and only gave the car a quick visual inspection before I paid him the money for it.

On hindsight, I should have walked away from the deal when I saw that there was still fuel in the tank. The crud that was on the car belied his claims that he "cleaned up his car after every run".

Interestingly, I still went ahead with the deal. Melvin seemed like the sort which you could trust. Bespectacled, neat, soft spoken. Then again, the car which he sold me was riddled with problems, crud notwithstanding.

Firstly, the right front C hub was cracked on one post. The bottom screw of the steering hub was held on by CA GLUE, as evidenced by the dried glue stains. I managed to remove the upper screw, and out popped the steering hub, with a large gash where the bottom screw was supposed to have threaded into.

Secondly, 3 out of 4 of the wheel hubs have their splined teeth badly worn. Took me some muscle power to dislodge them from the driveshafts!

Thirdly, the 2nd Speed Pinion on the 2 speed clutchbell is totally stuck. No amount of heating or lubrication will get it off.

I am currently looking for this person to get an explanation as well as seek replacement of the unserviceable components on the car. I paid the money for a FUNCTIONAL car (nevermind the pristine part, heh) and not have to fork out more money for replacement parts.

He told me that he is currently driving a Mugen MTX-2, and is a regular at the Marina South Track. I have been there a few times after the deal, but I failed to find him.

Does anyone know this person's contact number? I accidentally deleted his mobile number, and attempts to reach him via email failed. He's probably avoiding my mails now.

I'd appreciate any leads to how I can contact Melvin.

After this horrible experience, I advise anyone who is buying a used vehicle check carefully (STRIP IT IF YOU HAVE TO!), no matter how nice the seller seems to be! I trusted this person, and he rewards my trust with a pile of junk, and a lighter wallet!

This is the ad which he posted on TamiyaNitro, his handle is "tg10r" there, please note that the package which I purchased differs from the undermentioned, but the car remains the same nevertheless:

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.tamiyanitro.com/bbs/topi...=&TOPIC_ID=1550

1 unit of Tg10R for sale. Comes with the following:

1) 1 x Tamiya TG10R kit (with 2 speed and everything else stock)
2) Original Tamiya manifold(cut and fits the car)
3) Nova pipe
4) RJ(Ride) tires mounted w/rims
5) HPI BMW M3 bodyshell(painted)
6) foam bumper
7) 6V Hump Rx batt(brand new)

Guys, I keep my car in pristine condition and it is cleaned after every run! Oh, the engine still has a lot of compression and it works very well!

Hope to sell my car to someone who needs a TG10R!

---------------------------------------------------------------

His email is: [email protected]

Watch out for anyone selling his stuff using this email addy, or that name for good measure.

I'll post some pics up of the parts that are broke soon.

Melvin, if you are reading this and if you actually have the decency to get back in touch with me and fix all the crapped up parts, I'll withdraw all my comments and post an apology. Otherwise, this message and all its intended meaning stands.

One last parting shot.

PRISTINE CONDITION MY @$$!!!

Thanks and regards. Heh.