Community
Wiki Posts
Search

shiping international

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 03:40 AM
Tech Regular

Default shiping international

hey anyone know the best way to ship to canada from usa?
thnaks for any info.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:51 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

There is no GREAT way.

I can send packages to Japan, AU or Germany MUCH easier.

The issue is customs, and seems to be both directions.

I try and use USPS most all the time, the tricky part is filling out the custom forms.

Expect it take 2x as long as it's stated.

If you need 100% tracking go UPS or FedEx but, expect to spend $$$$$.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:55 AM
jsp
Tech Regular

USPS is the only way. Customs is the only delay and everything has to go through customs.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)
Default Re: shiping international

Originally posted by owens
hey anyone know the best way to ship to canada from usa?
thnaks for any info.
As Tres has already mentioned, there is no best solution to shipping from the US into Canada. I'll share my perspective as I reside in Canada and buy mostly from sellers in the US.

The issue of Customs seems to affect parcels coming into Canada more so than parcels going into the US. When a parcel reaches the border the Canada Customs people seem to randomly pick packages to review and their selection criteria remains a mystery. Larger items draw more attention as do any items with a high declared value. The declared value seems to be a popular trigger as they have a vested interest in maximizing taxes to the Crown.

As most will appreciate, the US dollar is worth more than the Canadian dollar. The rates fluctuate almost hourly, but suffice it to say that I pay more for my toys that US racers do. The declared value is used to calculate the Canadian dollar equivalent. to which taxes are applied at 7% for Federal and another 8% for Provincial (Ontario's rate is 8%). That is a combined tax rate of 15% and is the standard rate that we in Ontario pay for ALL purchases. Try buying a $45,000 mini van and then consider tha taxes you'd pay on that, but I digress.

Once the taxes have been established, Canada Post than apply an additional $5 handling fee to continue with the delivery. Shipping smaller items like bearing sets or smaller parts that fit inside a bubble envelope are best sent regular USPS mail as they oftem times just go through the system without notice and arrive in my mailbox without the added expenses.

Using couriers like UPS and FedEx are expensive for both the seller and the recipient. The problem with couriers is that they must pass all packages through Customs and once again all the taxes as previously mentioned apply. They also charge brokerage fees which are pretty substantial. It's best to avoid couriers unless you absolutely must.

Bottom line is that it's always best to provide options to the buyer and I feel that it is in the shipper's best interest to buy insurance. Using the USPS and Canada Post means that two sets of processes and hands touch each package and the potential for loss is greater. By buying insurance you cover yourself and avoid potential loss and maintain your credibility.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

how! sounds like it would be easier to drive there!
Old 01-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally posted by owens
how! sounds like it would be easier to drive there!
LOL.......sometimes I wonder.