Wiki Posts
Search

USPS insurance claim

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 08:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)
Default USPS insurance claim

Can someone who has had to file a claim with USPS answer a question for me? I've literally shipped over 100 packages via USPS and never had an issue. Well I shipped one out of Feb 20 and the tracking hasn't shown updated since Feb 25. I started a claim.

Here's my question: So on the claim form it asks for the amount of the insurance claim MINUS shipping cost. Are they going to add the priority shipping that I paid or are they really going to NOT reimburse me for the shipping cost?
Old 03-18-2024, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

In case anyone was wondering, USPS did refund me for the full amount plus shipping. So I'm not out any money. Just a major inconvenience for my buyer.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

I had a situation probably 3 or 4 years ago that the package somehow became opened & all the contents came out even though it was thoroughly packed & secured. I had $100 worth of insurance on the package, so I thought I would get $100 plus the cost of shipping.
Turns out the item was insured UP TO $100, meaning that the cost of actually replacing the item was all that the USPS would cover plus shipping cost & I needed to provide proof of how much it would cost to replace the item.
Not only did I have to refund the money to the buyer, make up the difference, deal with the aggravation, I also lost what I tried to sell.