• 1 Post By TeamSkunkwerks
  • 1 Post By 1/8 IC Fan

Questions about shipping items

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 09:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Questions about shipping items

After a couple of attempts in this hobby, I have decided to finally give it up! I absolutely love it, but with the lack of local tracks that actually stay open, I can only drive up and down my street and in my yard so much!! So after a lot of thought, I would rather sell this to someone that will enjoy it than to let it sit on my shelves any more!

I will be joining as an Elite Member to post my stuff for sale, and I have a question on how to deal with shipping. Each of the vehicles/packages I plan to list have a lot of accessories and such, so I assume the boxes I need to get to ship may end up decent sized! What is the best way for me to go about shipping? I plan on listing my items as: $XX amount plus shipping, but I assume someone will want to know a shipping estimate before a final agreement is made! Should I get everything boxed up and take each package to the post office to get the weight/size? Or should I get size/cost estimate and add shipping costs to furthest distance from me into my price, and list as $XX - shipped? I don't want to screw someone on shipping, or myself. I don't have an issue covering a couple dollar difference, but also don't want to cover all of the shipping.

Any insight is appreciated! TIA
Old 11-14-2019, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Why not use the USPS web shipping tool. Plug in your package size (LxWxH) as well as weight and get a shipping quote for your buyer.
rubijon likes this.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Talking Shipping

First, I'd put under my avatar, where I was from. That would help people decide if they want to deal with someone over a long distance. Let’s just say you’re from Australia. Most people do not want to pay the shipping to have it sent to the states. Just saying.... Also, it helps give the buyer an idea about what the shipping cost may be & the timeframe the item should arrive.
How would you ship the items? What carrier would you use? Would you have the item insured? Those are some things you might want to think about & will affect the shipping cost. Remember, insurance protects YOU & if you sell a high end rig & it gets lost or stolen, that’s a tough hit to take!! Because the buyer is going to want their money back & you might be out a rig & your money!
USPS offers a ground service with tracking & insurance provided. Basically if it fits in their shipping box, it ships. They have various sizes & would probably be best for smaller sized items going to the contiguous 48 states.
Think about how you’re going to sell the items. Meaning are you going to sell as a lot, or break up as individual items. Instead of selling as a lot, I’d probably sell the individual items to get more interest, but I also understand selling as a lot to not be stuck with an item. If I can use the USPS service I mentioned before to ship whatever items, then I would & it’s a Flat Rate.
Some people will list as X amount plus actual shipping, but you don’t find out shipping cost until after the fact. I would try to get an estimate for the size, weight, & distance.

rubijon likes this.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TeamSkunkwerks
First, I'd put under my avatar, where I was from. That would help people decide if they want to deal with someone over a long distance. Let’s just say you’re from Australia. Most people do not want to pay the shipping to have it sent to the states. Just saying.... Also, it helps give the buyer an idea about what the shipping cost may be & the timeframe the item should arrive.
How would you ship the items? What carrier would you use? Would you have the item insured? Those are some things you might want to think about & will affect the shipping cost. Remember, insurance protects YOU & if you sell a high end rig & it gets lost or stolen, that’s a tough hit to take!! Because the buyer is going to want their money back & you might be out a rig & your money!
USPS offers a ground service with tracking & insurance provided. Basically if it fits in their shipping box, it ships. They have various sizes & would probably be best for smaller sized items going to the contiguous 48 states.
Think about how you’re going to sell the items. Meaning are you going to sell as a lot, or break up as individual items. Instead of selling as a lot, I’d probably sell the individual items to get more interest, but I also understand selling as a lot to not be stuck with an item. If I can use the USPS service I mentioned before to ship whatever items, then I would & it’s a Flat Rate.
Some people will list as X amount plus actual shipping, but you don’t find out shipping cost until after the fact. I would try to get an estimate for the size, weight, & distance.

Thank you for the reply...avatar updated! Location is a very good point, and I never realized I hadn't done that from the start!

I assume that I will use USPS, since Paypal will be the preferred transaction and I can get the labels straight from there. I will use their tool like Stevem mentioned to get an estimate! Not all of the standard boxes USPS offers will be able to fit everything from each setup, so I will have to get a box for each setup! I would not ship these without insurance through anyone, and that is a cost that I will cover. I think the basic insurance only cover to a certain $$, so I will make sure both parties are fully protected.

I have done some research on here and through other sites to get an idea of potential value on my items. I would probably make a little more money if I split things up. I just don't want to get stuck with things that don't sell! Right now, each vehicle has everything installed, as far as electronics, but it would not be a major issue to take things out and try to sell separate! That would definitely help with shipping costs overall! My mindset was to package each vehicle with all of their accessories and get rid of it all or as much as I could! Looks like I may start tear down and more finite research on each item tonight!

I will see what size of packaging I will need as of now, to get shipping estimates, and if they seem too pricey, I will change the gameplan and list things separately! Thank you very much for the input, it is much appreciated!
Old 11-14-2019, 12:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Talking Pick a part or pick it apart😃😃

As to selling as a package versus individual items, it’s a gamble either way. I’ve listed stuff on here & have had people literally pick the thing apart 😃😃!! But then, I’ve also listed individual parts & seem like I couldn’t give the thing away!!
Good luck to you, whatever you decide😃😃
rubijon likes this.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I will tell you this, if you are shipping overseas, id only suggest the EU and maybe Australia their shipping tracking is usually good! Also only use Paypal, not Venmo, not a bank transfer or any sort of silly way to pay. For those that complain about the fee, itsminimal, and the reassurance to both buyer and seller are well worth it. Also verify address shipped is same as the potential buyers paypal address on file. Lastly check Feedback, if their feedback has tapered off in the past year, idsay steer clear, as well as any member that joined right after your listing, or has 0 posts, as well as anyone that just comes on here with no meaningful posts.... chances are they will end up to be a headache to deal with. Otherwise, keep it to PMs or thread replies only, texts are emails are not visible to Mods, and as such carry no enforcement.
rubijon likes this.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Good points! Thank you
Old 12-29-2019, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rubijon
After a couple of attempts in this hobby, I have decided to finally give it up! I absolutely love it, but with the lack of local tracks that actually stay open, I can only drive up and down my street and in my yard so much!! So after a lot of thought, I would rather sell this to someone that will enjoy it than to let it sit on my shelves any more!

I will be joining as an Elite Member to post my stuff for sale, and I have a question on how to deal with shipping. Each of the vehicles/packages I plan to list have a lot of accessories and such, so I assume the boxes I need to get to ship may end up decent sized! What is the best way for me to go about shipping? I plan on listing my items as: $XX amount plus shipping, but I assume someone will want to know a shipping estimate before a final agreement is made! Should I get everything boxed up and take each package to the post office to get the weight/size? Or should I get size/cost estimate and add shipping costs to furthest distance from me into my price, and list as $XX - shipped? I don't want to screw someone on shipping, or myself. I don't have an issue covering a couple dollar difference, but also don't want to cover all of the shipping.

Any insight is appreciated! TIA
I can tell you shipping stuff from this hobby can be very expensive and can make a very big difference in the overall price for something. There have been a couple of cases where I have taken a prepackaged box to the PO to get a price to ship something to the west coast and have used that as an estimate for shipping. As a seller I try to come up with a price for shipping. If I am wrong, I generally refund the difference to the buyer or eat the extra cost if I under estimated. In some cases, eating the cost made the deal very painful.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Otherwise, keep it to PMs or thread replies only, texts are emails are not visible to Mods, and as such carry no enforcement.
Mods have zero visibility to PMs. Either way, there is very little a mod can do to make a transaction "right". Really all they can do is ban the person from the site and help to identify them in real life if needed.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have purchased several things here but never sold anything yet. I have however sold stereo equipment several times. Besides PayPal the biggest piece of mind for me weather selling or purchasing is insist on a signature required upon delivery. With all this porch pirate stuff going on it could become a sticky situation if the person says they never received the package. I know the post office would have a record that they delivered it but you get my drift. If the person signs upon delivery it's a done deal in my book. I don't think there's even any extra charge. If they say they don't want that type of transaction I would probably just steer clear of it