Commodore VX SS

Old 11-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Default Commodore VX SS

I was just wondering what these do on the 1/4 mile in stock form. The old man said he beat one in a drag lastnight.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had a look at carsales.com.au and they have a 'research your car' section, which has every single stat you would want to know about a car EXCEPT quarter mile times. Sorry can't help you.

What kind of car does your old man have?
Old 11-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

According to this website, http://www.commodores-r-us.com/SSComm/vxss.html, standing 400 metre time is 14.34 seconds.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by b3n
According to this website, http://www.commodores-r-us.com/SSComm/vxss.html, standing 400 metre time is 14.34 seconds.
These are gee-up times. If you go out to Western Sydney International Dragway on wednesday nights, Clubsports cant even do these times. Most stock XR6 turbos, SS commodores, Clubbies, XR8s etc find it tough to break 15 seconds!

The times that magazines give are done on a V box! Different ball game on the strip with proper timing.

p.s. remember, we are talking in the hands of an average punter!
Old 11-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the help. I got a little excited over the 14.34 figure, but soon realised that it would have been exaggerated coming from a Holden based website. 15's seem okay. I'm just happy at the fact that the VG is faster then late model V8's. The Commy launched off harder then him, but he soon caught up quite easily in 2nd and then slowly acceled' away in 3rd.

70' VG Valiant
Attached Thumbnails Commodore VX SS-copy-img_4277.jpg  
Old 11-13-2005, 01:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I'd have to dissagree Rody.

I use to freqeunt WSID alot and i use to see SS 5.7L run low 14's with ease some dipping into the 13's with intake and exhaust mods..

Im a 4 cyl man myself so my opinion is definetley not biased, hell i have mates who have N/A FWD's pulling low to mid 15's at WSID and they get put away shamefully by a 5.7L on the street, so if someone cant pilot a SS to a 14 then need i say more

Originally Posted by Rody
These are gee-up times. If you go out to Western Sydney International Dragway on wednesday nights, Clubsports cant even do these times. Most stock XR6 turbos, SS commodores, Clubbies, XR8s etc find it tough to break 15 seconds!

The times that magazines give are done on a V box! Different ball game on the strip with proper timing.

Old 11-13-2005, 02:21 AM
Tech Regular

low 14's are pretty average for them,i have seen a few stockers dip intp the high 13's. but theres good ones and theres not so good ones.

www.ls1.com.au
Old 11-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

i have to agree with rody
im a frequent vistor and competitor at WSID. My father and i owned a 9 sec monaro still have it but sold the engine and build a 12 sec engine
i have seen so many XR8s , Xr6s turbos , SS, clubsports that do try to break the 14 second barrier its no easy task , the only LS1s or XR6 turbos that have done it , have had work done to the engine and upgraded the intake e.g turbo or supercharger , CAPA and many other engine builder offer services to get your LS1 runnning close to the 12 sec. bracket but you have to drop close to $10 grand .
Old 11-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

pfft, that's no biggie Stasi, i pulled a 9 second jobber at the creek with my accent.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the biggest factor is traction off the line on street tyres there is more grip on the normal road than at the creek.using slicks is a different story. my 5l hz in primer did a 14.5 with a stock 5l in it once i got the traction down. when wheelspin mid 15's all the time
Old 11-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

the fastest un-opened ls1 in oz in in the mid 12's. head and cam pakages will get you in the 11's. i used to be a regular at wsid too.

there are several naturally asp ls1's at wsid that run in the 10's.

this thread should answer your question:
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...=stock+quarter

Last edited by moot; 11-13-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StasI
i have to agree with rody
im a frequent vistor and competitor at WSID. My father and i owned a 9 sec monaro still have it but sold the engine and build a 12 sec engine
i have seen so many XR8s , Xr6s turbos , SS, clubsports that do try to break the 14 second barrier its no easy task , the only LS1s or XR6 turbos that have done it , have had work done to the engine and upgraded the intake e.g turbo or supercharger , CAPA and many other engine builder offer services to get your LS1 runnning close to the 12 sec. bracket but you have to drop close to $10 grand .
'

you can spend half of that and be in the high 12's.

9 sec Monaro? who are you, there's only 1 in the country that I'm aware of, and the LS1 community is fairly tight.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Molky
'

you can spend half of that and be in the high 12's.

9 sec Monaro? who are you, there's only 1 in the country that I'm aware of, and the LS1 community is fairly tight.
Our one is not LS1 powered
Its a 1968 HK monaro powered by a 327 stroked to a 406 small block
Old 11-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StasI
Our one is not LS1 powered
Its a 1968 HK monaro powered by a 327 stroked to a 406 small block
ah ok then, nice. I thought you were talking LS1