Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Controlled Motor and Gearing for Stock Classes >

Controlled Motor and Gearing for Stock Classes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do we need a Controlled Motor/ESC for Racing?
Yes for 21.5 Only
15.31%
Yes for 13.5 Only
1.53%
Yes for 21.5 and 13.5
38.78%
No, leave it open and as it is.
30.10%
I have no opinion
2.55%
I'm sponsored / own a store, my wallet says NO!
1.02%
13.5 Motor Only
3.06%
21.5 Motor Only
7.65%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Controlled Motor and Gearing for Stock Classes

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 06:34 PM
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Controlled Motor and Gearing for Stock Classes

I'm probably going to open up a can of worms here, and be a prime target for the keyboard warriors, but Im big enough and ugly enough to deal with it

I look at the at the success of ETS and wonder would a similar concept here help our sport grow in Australia? The ETS series in Europe started off as NOTHING, and the popularity of it now is astounding.

Stock 21.5 and 13.5 are the biggest classes in RC and should be the easiest to understand and the cheapest to enter.

So to do this, do we look at a controlled motor and controlled gearing for the class? Normally I would say controlled ESC too, however I think controlled gearing and motor is a good starting point without reinventing the wheel too much and sending hobby shops in to meltdown fearing they won't be able to eat for the next month.

This would also help grow modified numbers, as people will feel a need to venture out and try the "unlimited" class as such.

Now sure, people are going to say it'd never happen blah blah blah, well guess what they said that in Europe also, and those people are now biting their tongues.

I feel the clubs and racers should be the ones to "dictate as such" the growth of OUR sport, NOT Hobby Shops and the governing body.

I look forward to peoples thoughts. (Would also be great if Snowy or a mod can put a yes or no pole up??

Regards
Nathan
Old 06-30-2015, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I like "spec" or "controlled" type racing (on/off-road) as there simply can't be a more level playing field in general.

Not sure if controlled gearing is needed though (do they do that in Euro)?

I'd think that motor and tyres would only need to be controlled though.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My 2c worth is that the only problem I can see with limiting it to 1 controlled motor is what motor do you choose.
I can already hear all the sponsored drivers( Yes stock has sponsored drivers ) arguing that the motor chosen is not made by their respective sponsor and they cant use it.

I guess the solution to this is they will need to step up to MOD to keep their sponsors happy. But I can still see it causing problems.

That said I am all for it and I think it will be good for our sport.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:03 PM
NR
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Craig1
I like "spec" or "controlled" type racing (on/off-road) as there simply can't be a more level playing field in general.

Not sure if controlled gearing is needed though (do they do that in Euro)?

I'd think that motor and tyres would only need to be controlled though.
Yep controlled gearing also in Euro / ETS. It makes for a perfectly even playing field. With only setup and driving being the only difference.

Tires are controlled for most events anyway, and most people use the controlled tire leading up to events anyway, so that should be fine for club racing.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nathan ... you were meant to keep it under wraps for another week....

I will be testing the concept at Castle hill this Friday for 13.5 club racing (for those that are not on Facebook) which seems to have some support.

Basically a controlled motor, in this case testing the $43 speedpassion V3
Final drive at 5.0 same as ETS
Controlled tyres Ride 32 blue

We had been a bit of a slump in stock at club level recently with a few complaining of escalated running costs to be competitive, and a fraction too quick for some.

The speedpassion v3 is a little old but I have been told still being made for a little bit with plenty in stock, they have the advantage that their timing adjustment is limited, and with such a high FDR it is a disadvantage to run them with lower then their max timing (about 37 deg according to my dyno).

I also like the plug in connectors it uses so if someone accuses someone else of cheating we can simply write in the rules they can request to simply swap motors.
It also makes motor checking easy at big events (if this goes ahead)

With the control Tyres about 95% of people run ride 32 blues anyway at the Hill so this was a no brainer (until Nathan starts importing Volante 32's hint hint)

Beth.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:10 PM
NR
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nudge2325
My 2c worth is that the only problem I can see with limiting it to 1 controlled motor is what motor do you choose.
I can already hear all the sponsored drivers( Yes stock has sponsored drivers ) arguing that the motor chosen is not made by their respective sponsor and they cant use it.

I guess the solution to this is they will need to step up to MOD to keep their sponsors happy. But I can still see it causing problems.

1/2 the stock field is sponsored at ETS, Unfortunately there is no solution other than naming rights / other products that the motor manufacturer makes that they can push / endorse, this goes back to my point about not allowing other "parties" to dictate our sport.

Alternatively your suggestion is great

As for which motor, simple a shortlist is created by the top 3 motors used now, and a tender is put out and it's voted upon by the racers.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:19 PM
Tech Adept

Easy fix, just ban sponsorship in stock classes, it scares away new drivers that see these peacocks strutting around running in what is really a beginners class with no 540/21.5 class offered (EP OFFROAD).
Old 06-30-2015, 07:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NR
I'm probably going to open up a can of worms here, and be a prime target for the keyboard warriors, but Im big enough and ugly enough to deal with it

I look at the at the success of ETS and wonder would a similar concept here help our sport grow in Australia? The ETS series in Europe started off as NOTHING, and the popularity of it now is astounding.

Stock 21.5 and 13.5 are the biggest classes in RC and should be the easiest to understand and the cheapest to enter.

So to do this, do we look at a controlled motor and controlled gearing for the class? Normally I would say controlled ESC too, however I think controlled gearing and motor is a good starting point without reinventing the wheel too much and sending hobby shops in to meltdown fearing they won't be able to eat for the next month.

This would also help grow modified numbers, as people will feel a need to venture out and try the "unlimited" class as such.

Now sure, people are going to say it'd never happen blah blah blah, well guess what they said that in Europe also, and those people are now biting their tongues.

I feel the clubs and racers should be the ones to "dictate as such" the growth of OUR sport, NOT Hobby Shops and the governing body.

I look forward to peoples thoughts. (Would also be great if Snowy or a mod can put a yes or no pole up??

Regards
Nathan
Poll is up!
Old 06-30-2015, 07:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

.... 21.5 has Sponsored drivers (here anyway)

It's disheartening to see the same class won by the same people with $230 custom tuned dyno'd motors, $150+ Lipos etc, Personally I'd love there to be a restriction at least on the motor. I have 5 different 21.5's here because I want to be competitive, 13.5 is dead (maybe 3 in a class) Mod has 1 person, at least 21.5 we can put together a field of 5 or 6 most times, and you're doing well if the sponsored guy doesn't lap you.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

+1 Control motor and speedie.

Now the fun part, What brand??????
Old 06-30-2015, 08:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

....which is where the politics of sponsored drivers, store owners / suppliers and overly loyal customers / internet shopping is evil stuff rears it's ugly head.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My opinion is that tyres and batteries should be controlled. A high end motor is a purchase that only needs to be made occasionally, tyres and batteries are dispensable and having the funds to replace these often can lead to a big advantage.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Personally... I would say that the 21.5 class should be a controlled motor and esc... main reason is that we see this as a beginners class, so whats easier than telling a budding racer you need this motor and esc to compete, which is available for $xx.x. Novice 21.5 (such as run at SMA) could be a catch all for true beginners with a run what you brung/hand-me-down. But to compete at a sanctioned event, you need the combo (which if the correct one is selected, such as a HW Justock) will serve fine.

13.5t.. I'm more conflicted. On the one hand, I say yes, leave it open and still free on all. On the other, having seen the cost of some of the Stock motors these days to be competitive ($150! say wha!).. it makes you think that this is not sustainable, and not healthy for the hobby.

Keep the ESC open though, two reasons. One, if someone wants to jump up from 21.5t, all they need to do is fit the correct motor and they are away. And two, at the other end of the scale, if they want to invest in an ESC with a view to trying mod down the line, they can still use their new investment in 13.5t. It's allowing progression up too, and away from the class. All at the change of a motor.

On the FDR limit, for me personally, you can only really justify a fixed FDR if you are on a control motor. Sod's law says in an open motor scenario, someone will find that hot-ticket motor for a set gearing... so everyone will buy one. And then if the FDR limit is changed (be it yearly, or for different tracks), the cycle repeats. That is obviously covered off if there is a control motor.

In an ideal world..

Novice - 21.5t, any motor esc. Beginners only (club only, non sanctioned)

21.5t - Control ESC & Motor - define it as a decent value, and reliable system - Fixed timing and Max FDR.

13.5t - Control Motor - fixed timing and max FDR. Any ESC in blinky.

Mod - Open... nuff said.

Last edited by TryHard; 06-30-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
....which is where the politics of sponsored drivers, store owners / suppliers and overly loyal customers / internet shopping is evil stuff rears it's ugly head.
Something universally available is required.
At the start of 13.5 blinky most at our club started using the Hobbywing Justock and blue non adjustable motor, solid reliable unit, cheap, consistent. (many of us had them from TITC trips)

However it has been out for a number of years so i would say its too close to the end of its product life cycle to dictate as the control.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:18 PM
NR
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LaserPimp
My opinion is that tyres and batteries should be controlled. A high end motor is a purchase that only needs to be made occasionally, tyres and batteries are dispensable and having the funds to replace these often can lead to a big advantage.
Tires are controlled at events already, as for batteries, they are also checked at events.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.