Wiki Posts
Search

care of lipo battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

Default care of lipo battery

Hi all, few things to clarify on lipo battery,

1) When lipo is fully charged- Can only be kept for 1 to 3 days (Max) Either use it within time frame or storage charge it

2)After using lipo battery- Must storage charge it if one is not going to use for awhile

3)After 10 or more cycles of using lipo- Balance charge it

AM i correct on the above 3 points?

After using lipo battery, can i fully charge it again?
Old 12-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

For me;

Only charge when you need it. I always balance charge at 2C (12A for me) It doesn't take any longer and I'm not aware of a downside.

After a run, check voltage and top up/discharge as required. After a 6min run I usually find it at or about storage level of 7.6V anyway so just a cursory check really.

If for some reason I charge and don't use - discharge to below 7.6v and use storage charge to top up.

I've got LRP 6000s and haven't puffed one yet (6months) so assume I must be doing something right
Old 12-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You want to always balance charger your Lipo, I charge my lips a day before using them, then after the race or practice put them in storage mode, if it's a 4200mah Lipo charge it a 4.2 amps(1c charge rate) at home since you have the time once your at the track you a lot of batteries are rated for a max 5c charge rate but 3c is a decent charge rate, never over charge the battery, some people do it for 2wd stock and it's not worth it at all... That's pretty much all you need to know
Old 12-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1. Charge and use, do not leave Lipo fully charged (critical if the temps are high).

2. Storage charge is always good idea but not require if the battery has discharged to a suitable level. Anywhere from 7.4-7.8V is ok for a 2S Lipo.

3. Always balance charge every time.

Last edited by DamianW; 12-08-2014 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Added 2S
Old 12-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Tech Adept

hi ,thanks for the prompt reply.

Damien..u were saying as long as its 7.4 to 7.8 V its ok to leave the battery as it is.u are talking 3s , 4s or 6s??
Old 12-09-2014, 04:25 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Truck Basher 2
hi ,thanks for the prompt reply.

Damien..u were saying as long as its 7.4 to 7.8 V its ok to leave the battery as it is.u are talking 3s , 4s or 6s??
Clearly says 2s in the post
Old 12-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

I updated the post with 2S.

Acceptable storage V per cell is about 3.7-3.9V.

The 2 lipo chargers I have storage mode voltage is 3.75V and the other is 3.85V.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:09 AM
Tech Master

Can I ask why we should balance charge every time?? I do mine once a month or when I remember and my balance is always bang on, I check the IR of my batteries as well and again usually identical and in a good range.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:50 AM
Tech Regular

The lipo will last longer if you balance charge and stay balanced, it's not hard to plug the balance lead in..it only take 30min to balance charge my 2s lipos
Old 12-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by THE ROCK
Can I ask why we should balance charge every time?? I do mine once a month or when I remember and my balance is always bang on, I check the IR of my batteries as well and again usually identical and in a good range.
If the battery is in perfect condition, cells are matched and in balance, balance charge wont make much difference.

But balance charging will ensure the cells are both at full capacity every charge (removes small variation that happens every cycle) keeping all cells at peak performance rather than cell(s) slightly overcharged and cell(s) slightly undercharged.

Slightly over charging will damage lithium batteries increases the risk of catastrophic failure over time.

Most importantly if something goes wrong with a cell if you are balance charging ie monitoring each cell's voltage, the charger will detect the fault and shut off preventing catastrophic failure.

If the battery is in good condition:
1. Balance charging takes less than 30 seconds extra.
2. The performance of the battery is slightly improved.
3. Performance over time is maintained/life of the battery is increased.
4. You significantly reduce the risk of catastrophic failure.

So for the sake of less than 30 seconds, why wouldn't you balance charge every time?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:40 PM
Tech Adept

my batteries are charged in storage mode which i did almost two months ago. Can i balance charge the batteries now??
Old 12-22-2014, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes use balance charge.