Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slippery track, need setup help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 12:28 AM
MDL
Tech Adept

Default Slippery track, need setup help.

Hey guys,

I own a couple of TB02 that are stock with a Orion core stock. We race on our local indoor skate ring which is very very slippery. We (20 of us) have found that the Tamiya radials are the best for the tyers but the issue that i am having is that i am getting alot of slipping in the back end. The rear of the car is wondering alot more than other people.

The setup in the same pretty nice, i have itt running preety low and have try hardering the springs at the front but to no help, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

MDL
Old 08-21-2005, 01:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Go softer all round, that will work better than making the springs harder.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:55 AM
Tech Regular

Soften the rear, either lay the shocks down or go to a softer spring. On the TB-02 i prefer tamiya yellow springs on the front and red on the back. Another thing you could do is add more rear toe-in, to do this however you'll need the toe-in blocks from an evoIII.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:14 AM
MDL
Tech Adept

interesting. One of the other guys, which is well known in Brisbane said to go harder all round..... wondering weather he told me this to put me off.... hmmmm interesting.

I'm racing monday night so i will let you know how it goes.

Would be racing a brushless mini-t (off road, indoors) but I don't think you are aloud to run brushless are you?

MDL
Old 08-21-2005, 04:00 AM
Tech Champion

Tires are 90% of the setup of any car, and i would be extremely surprised if Tamiya kit tires are the hot ticket, try getting hold of some soft slick tires such as Sorex 20 or 24, or Takeoff22. Asuming the surface is smooth and flat. If treaded tires are the hot ticket get hold of some Pit Shimizu treaded tires in 25 compound, these are very good on a smooth slick surface.

Going harder in the front could make matters worse due to the better initial steering afforded by stiff springs. try soft springs all round, and more rear toe. lower the front link, and or raise the rear link.

Give some more info about the surface and maybe we could assist further.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Handling problems

If you are allowed to run foam tires give Ellegi foams a go i find that they work really well.

Im running 40's at the front and 30's at the rear

Also like the other guys said soften up your rear will help
Old 08-21-2005, 04:14 AM
MDL
Tech Adept

Besercoe,

Thanks for the help, the surface is painted cement. We have found that the treaded tires are good because the suface as dust on it from other people and it's so smooth. I will give the 20's ago when i can get some.

Would you say a low ride height would help also?

MDL

PS, Darren, If i get better grip i'll catch you lol
Old 08-21-2005, 04:54 AM
Tech Elite

Higher ride height would be better, you want the chassis to roll a little on such a slick surface to generate some grip.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:08 PM
MDL
Tech Adept

OK i think that I have found a big issue that isn't helping, after the first race where i striped the spear gear, i changed it over and notice that my front diff was very loose and my rear was very hard. This was so bad that I could hold both my front wheels and the read would still go with very little effet.

In the last race it was very bad, coming out of a corner i would give it a little power and it would dig in and spin out.

Any ideas, i'm going to have to rebuild the diff and see how i go.

MDL
Old 08-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Tech Champion

Front diff should also be much tighter than the rear, with both diffs should be difficult to turn over by hand. to test the diffs, hold one wheel and the spur gear still, and try and move the opposite wheel, it should take a fair amount of force to turn over. If unsure get someone at the track to look at it.

So far it sounds like you have rear wheel drive only, and this would cause the issues your describing.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:13 AM
MDL
Tech Adept

I'll see how i go after a rebuild i suppose. I will stick up a video of it later. Don't want to has my REALLY bad driving in it.

MDL