Wiki Posts
Search

Greater Western Sydney RC Car Club

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 02:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Wink

Caprice1 the most amazing thing about your flight from Ayers rock was the fact that your car didn't break and you just carried on racing!..built Xray tough!, also congratulations to David (aka number 3 ) for carcking sub 20 second lap in his outlaw!.. now how do we beat addicted 1???.
also Rob you can always try out one of my Xray spare ECS shafts to see if it fits, i have both sizes (50 & 52 ).
finally ta04evah i was impressed with your lemans car! is there a chance it will eventually join us in outlaw?... it looked really planted and handling well,
all you will need is a mod motor and high powered esc, either way well done on something unique.
cheers
oldenuff
Old 07-28-2014, 03:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Measuring from the centre of the drive pin at the inboard side to the centre of the CV joint is 44mm on the one that came out. 46mm would also probably work as there is plenty of room in the spool drive slot.

It's quite possible I can use one from another model that just happens to fit. I'll do some Googling ;-)

Edit. found some genuine Hot Bodies TCXX ones Pt. No 68823 - $148 for a pair delivered from UK. Holy carp! Wife won't be too happy about that. I'll keep looking.

Cheers - Rob

Last edited by rooracingrob; 07-28-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by oldenuff
finally ta04evah i was impressed with your lemans car! is there a chance it will eventually join us in outlaw?... it looked really planted and handling well,
all you will need is a mod motor and high powered esc, either way well done on something unique.
cheers
oldenuff
I was really surprised & happy about how well that car handled (just need to do the same to the touring car), it's setup is pretty much "out of the box" with a couple of changes & adjustments, to which I'd happily share with anyone that wants to know.

The plan is to make incremental steps to see how the car handles, and to see if the rubber tires can cope with the speed & wear. The rear tires were working fine in the cooler morning, but were getting a little unsettled when the track was starting to warm up. There are rubber tires to handle the higher temps, but they are only available in the narrower F104 wheels which would look odd on a car that's designed to run F103 tires, so foams may also be an option.

For the next meeting, I'll be taking the 17.5 motor out and replacing it with a 13.5 in blinky mode. If the car (and driver) can manage the 13.5, then some boost might be dialed in to give it a little more pace.

As for joining the outlaws, might be fun to have a 2wd car take it to the 4wd cars.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:03 AM
Tech Regular

hi guys, ta04evah my t4 outlaw is also sensitive to the track temp and i find myself changing tyre shores during the day to keep it at its optimum, gradual development will be the key with your lemans car, it took me a nearly a full year to work out how to best set up my outlaw and it is still a case of gradual evolution,... 2wd vs 4wd ,..i have often thought about this and wondered how one of the pro10 cars they run in Europe would go up against our outlaws, your lemans car is the closest thing i have ever seen to these so i will watch your developments with interest.
cheers
oldenuff
Old 07-29-2014, 05:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by oldenuff
also congratulations to David (aka number 3 ) for carcking sub 20 second lap in his outlaw!.. now how do we beat addicted 1???.

:tire. :tire

Old 07-29-2014, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

Lightbulb

blue is better
4.0turn
learning to drive like a superhero
go to church and pray
Old 07-29-2014, 07:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rooracingrob
Measuring from the centre of the drive pin at the inboard side to the centre of the CV joint is 44mm on the one that came out. 46mm would also probably work as there is plenty of room in the spool drive slot.

It's quite possible I can use one from another model that just happens to fit. I'll do some Googling ;-)

Edit. found some genuine Hot Bodies TCXX ones Pt. No 68823 - $148 for a pair delivered from UK. Holy carp! Wife won't be too happy about that. I'll keep looking.

Cheers - Rob
Hi Rob
I think i have a pair of 46mm drive shafts complete lying around.. they came out of a Sakura DH XI. You can try those if you want to

Cheers
Bones (Dean)
Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Question for the guys running foam tires.

Is there any "additive" or "conditioner" that's used on the tires before the race?
I'm thinking of switching over to foam tires for my "lemans" car, as I don't think the rubber tires will be able to handle the higher speeds that I am aiming to achieve in the future.
Back in the days of the "Pro 10" 235mm ep cars we used to use sun screen on the tires, but I doubt that is used anymore?

The car is a 3 Racing F113 F1 car with a high downforce Lemans body shell, any recommendations on tire brands & shores to try out?

Thanks
Rob.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up foam tyre additive

hi guys, Rob in relation to your Lemans car and the use of foam tyres, on our outlaw cars we use no additives as a general rule but some runners have been known to, but no there is enough grip out on the track to not need any, your car being rear wheel drive may be different and may indeed need some additive , however your car looked really planted on the rubbers so i am thinking you shouldn't need to juice up the tyres, In saying this my 1/12th is in a constant battle looking for rear traction, i can find it ( if my diff is performing as it should ) but on this car i definitely do goop the REAR tyres only, also i run a much softer compound in the back of this car. I would say your car will fall somewhere between my two extremes (Outlaw & twelth scale) i would be suggesting softer rear with no additive to start with and go from there, if you need some on the day come and see me as i have some with me on race days, as for tyre brands well i have found that ULTI work really well here, but i am not sure if you can get these for your car, most decent foams should work.
cheers
oldenuff
Old 08-05-2014, 01:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Bones - thanks for the offer, but I've ordered a pair that RandR found online. Waiting patiently for the jiffy bag to arrive now Before Sunday is probably wishful thinking.

MINI INFO!

This might be handy for the guys building a new mini. From the RCMiniNet Facebook page and long-time Mini Racer Tim Keilor:

I took a trip out to the local track today to finally have a run with the M05V2.I put a pack through my M03 first to get my eye in. It was perfect as it always is.

Then I took the V2 out. It was taily. Back off for a corner and the back would just swing around, felt like it was floating around the track. Same tyres as the M03 - Sweep 40 front, Spice 28 rear.

In the end I changed the spring set up to exactly the same as the M03, fluro red (soft) on the front, and grey (super hard) on the rear.

And now it's dialled. It feels exactly the same as my M03 to drive, so that's a good thing, for me anyway.

As it happens the lap timing system was left on, and it was calling my times out, so I actually have some data on both cars.

The M05 V2 had 1 lap at 20.4 seconds, about 10-15 in a row at 20.6 secs, and then a few at 20.9.

The M03 had 1 lap at 20.5 seconds, another 10-15 in a row at 20.6 secs, and a couple at 20.8 and 20.9.

So yeah, the 2 cars are exactly the same, except that the V2 has the bonus of running square packs.

The lap record there for a mini is 19.947, set by the one lap wonder himself Tony Parreiro at the 2014 Masters.

Also at the Masters Brad did a 20.062, and I did a 20.042.

Given that the track today hadn't been prepared in anyway it's safe to say that with the same conditions as the Masters the M05V2 will be the same as any other mini ... although possibly quicker in the hands of the 1 lap wonder

Roll on Sunday

Cheers - Rob
Old 08-05-2014, 07:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi Rob,

That's great news. Dave and I also landed our m05v2's, built and run in last weekend (although Dave's only lasted half a lap before having an arguement with the wall). Cars were so fun to drive!

Attention all mini drivers: we are running Mini this weekend so please feel free to come and run with the little boys

Can't wait!

Cheers.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Who is keen to run 1/12th this weekend ??
Old 08-07-2014, 03:29 AM
Tech Regular

Wink

hi guys, BMI TC3 I am definitely keen to run 1/12th this weekend, i am new to 1/12th and have never raced it but i will definitely be there and i will have my 1/12th with me ready to race, 2 others that are regulars at race day also have 1/12th but they are invested in other classes ( as i am too ) but i am sure we could twist there arm, If there are any other 1/12th out there willing to race, please come down, we have never run this class here ( at this club anyway ) but to have it run here would be awesome,..
cheers
oldenuff
Old 08-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Had a great time at racing yesterday, thanks to Ben & the crew that make the day enjoyable for us all.

I ran foams on the car for the first time yesterday and it felt pretty stable on them, but may need to get some stiffer "side" springs as the car was leaning hard in the corners. On the next race day I'll experiment with some more different compounds & additives to see if I can bring the lap times down a little more, although 21.5 seconds is a very respectable time.

Have to say that I'm very impressed with the Reventon S esc, it handled running a 13.5 with a little boost quite well, granted it's a 2wd car and there's no turbo function, but still a smooth, and good performing inexpensive esc.

Looking forward to the next meeting in 2 weeks time!

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

It was a good day yesterday, I had fun, especially when brad went 18.7 in electric so I had to pull my 8th scale out and beat it hahah and we did 18.4, not bad considering the car isn't setup for that track and the motor was a dog, but great day racing with Ben and Aaron in tourer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.