Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sormcc (aka Whalan)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Had a run at Whalan on Saturday with some friends and also a few locals showed up. Took me 20 mind to blow the track down ( had to sweep up broken beer bottles ). Track surface is awesome. Huge grip levels for my f1. Had a look and really the only thjng it needs physically is roughly 6 bits of 3m long 2x4 pieces of wood sprayed white and then the track is fine other then that. Would anyone be keen on some 'timed practice' some time?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by cmy55s
Had a run at Whalan on Saturday with some friends and also a few locals showed up. Took me 20 mind to blow the track down ( had to sweep up broken beer bottles ). Track surface is awesome. Huge grip levels for my f1. Had a look and really the only thjng it needs physically is roughly 6 bits of 3m long 2x4 pieces of wood sprayed white and then the track is fine other then that. Would anyone be keen on some 'timed practice' some time?
All the timber is warped and square in shape.

The timbers that are left are square, they're car wreckers!

I with others have been practicing out there every week we have damaged our cars, arms, c-hubs.

Part of my plan is to replace the timbers with half moon type treated pine fastened with dyno bolts countersunk. Painted yellow with road paint for longevity. Cars will roll over the treated pine and will cause less damage to toy cars.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Reg

I with others have been practicing out there every week we have damaged our cars, arms, c-hubs.

Part of my plan is to replace the timbers with half moon type treated pine fastened with dyno bolts countersunk. Painted yellow with road paint for longevity. Cars will roll over the treated pine and will cause less damage to toy cars.
True but your doing well to hit the timber thats left. I like the idea but to start with i don't think it needs replacing straight away. I have a friend who works in a timber yard and could supply the necessary bits to put in place of the missing ones. Rest of surface is great. Paint still looks ok and the ripple strips are in good condition.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Blah blah blah, learn how to drive!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Black Dahlia
Blah blah blah, learn how to drive!
Where do you race?

So you never need your car to be marshalled???

Awesome i would love to see that!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I tend to agree with cmy55s. Why replace all the timber if only a handful of places are broken.
I seem to recall the timber being well away from the racing line. From my experience square timber is alright but steel is better at stopping cars. Half round logs only launch cars into the air. Causing them to jump the track into oncoming traffic causing more problems and two unhappy people instead of one.

The problem at Whalen is the burbs not the timbers.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Suspended

So black dahlia what your saying is that you have never damaged a car?

Novices destroy cars, the best we can do is make a track as less damaging on all classes of drivers.

Your comments are somewhat silly regarding the way in which someone drives.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz
I tend to agree with cmy55s. Why replace all the timber if only a handful of places are broken.
I seem to recall the timber being well away from the racing line. From my experience square timber is alright but steel is better at stopping cars. Half round logs only launch cars into the air. Causing them to jump the track into oncoming traffic causing more problems and two unhappy people instead of one.

The problem at Whalen is the burbs not the timbers.
Get off your arse and go and have a look for yourself!

Happy to meet you there today!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Novices destroy cars, the best we can do is make a track as less damaging on all classes of drivers.

Judging by his post history looks like he just sets out to troll threads with negative comments.

Last edited by nexxus; 02-24-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Tech Initiate

Dry your eyes mate!
Suspended

Again what are you committed to do about the facility!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Suspended

Default committment!

Here is a proposal for the Whalan facility!

A committee needs to be formed of 10.

Those 10 will put in equal amounts of monies.

Those funds will refunded when the club is flourishing, we as a committee go to council with a strong written plan on days we can race. Obviously weekends.

I would encourage a weeknight for timed practice at a small fee.

I want the facility to be utilised as much as possible and prove to council that we use the area as its intended so they will spend the money, on area upgrades such as lighting and covered pit area's.

I have spoken with a fellow racer that would be happy to supply day maker lighting at a reduced higher fee. Which would create a day/night facility.

The main expense is track maintenance, timing equipment, insurances, electricity, computer system and software, PA system.

If we can all come together on this and work together Whalan will be a premium club once more.

I also have the aid of a lawyer, and an accountant for the legal sides of things, the gents are also fellow racers.

All things being equal who will commit to being part of a committee and putting in say $500 to $700 each to get going once we have convinced Blacktown City Council to hand over the Whalan precinct to us.

This is not a game, this will be a business where the funds will only be used for the club.

Also a canteen needs to be established , as does race control which can be set up in the rear of my Toyota LWB van.

Thats the plan!

Thats exactly what is needed to build Whalan and run it smoothly.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Here is a proposal for the Whalan facility!

Thats the plan!

Thats exactly what is needed to build Whalan and run it smoothly.
Maybe what needed is for you not be involved.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by crazy88
Maybe what needed is for you not be involved.
No worries

I am out!!

Let it become a basket ball facility!

Last edited by nexxus; 02-24-2014 at 09:46 PM. Reason: language
Old 02-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I used to race for many years at the old Sormcc track run by Burgo, and a large part of its success was Burgo himself. He had the right attitude, and was a "people person", he knew how to address people to get the best out of them. I'm afraid abusing the people who can be of real assistance here is only going to chase EVERYBODY away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.