Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regs for f1 racing in oz

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I also will add when you get 50 F1s to a club meet then think about spliting up the cars. For now stick to the kiss theory, keep it simple stoopid.

21.5 combo blinky ESC
Any F1 style 2wd chassis RWD
Any tire with gooping allowed

I dont care about the look. Just race the class.

Last edited by barts71m; 06-25-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default 2nd that

No width restriction.. it will get too complicated.. and not allow ppls with the 104W and 103 and 109s... just get rubber/any f1 rubber and 21.5 blinky.. easy to tech..and allows more ppl to run.. as long as its a F1 chassis.. with a 21.5 motor running blinkie the difference in width will not make a difference.. maybe with a 17.5 it would.. but with a 21.5 the cars will be easier to handle and keep the class cheap.. a standard 103/104/109/fgx will be able to keep up with a fully pimped out one.. dont need as much mech grip..

Splitting a new class into two classes will just make it over compliacted.. we already have TC with 500 different classes..
Old 04-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Tech Initiate

i dont think we are in a position to ban any sort of car at this point in time. once the grids are full and there is significant advantages for certin combos we can bring in rules to even the field. and what is this UF1 shit? just cos the seppos do something doesnt mean we have to! im sick of people saying the yanks are doing this so we should, bullshit. we have a clean slate and we should do our own research/tests/trials and come up with an australian spec rule set. at this point in time when F1s are (finally) making a resurgence we should allow ALL F1 chassis, and only set guidelines on the electronics in a cost cutting measure to not go anywhere near the 'modified' costs. i recently ran a HW120 esc and HW 17.5t (mini running gear i believe) and it was great. that combo was relatively well priced, but a better option would be a YR esc and 13t sensorless combo, which would be less than 100 from rcmart. i dont envisage existing ppl forking out for new gear, but if we wanted to attract new ppl then the YR isnt a bad way to go, altho perhaps a bit overpowered, but as with most high performance items, its all in the user's application rather than jamming the power on and off like a light switch.
all these are my 0.02c but i am adamant about this stopping of following the seppos. they most certainly dont look at us for any ideas, they dont plan on coming to Oz to race, so lets stop following those clowns and look at what WE want
Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by warnos
No width restriction.. it will get too complicated.. and not allow ppls with the 104W and 103 and 109s... just get rubber/any f1 rubber and 21.5 blinky.. easy to tech..and allows more ppl to run.. as long as its a F1 chassis.. with a 21.5 motor running blinkie the difference in width will not make a difference.. maybe with a 17.5 it would.. but with a 21.5 the cars will be easier to handle and keep the class cheap.. a standard 103/104/109/fgx will be able to keep up with a fully pimped out one.. dont need as much mech grip..

Splitting a new class into two classes will just make it over compliacted.. we already have TC with 500 different classes..
I will be getting a 21.5 to put in my car. I am currently running the 17.5 just stock possibly the cheapest motor speedy combo around and have no problem getting a 21.5 motor and I already run rubber tires. I also have an F103 type car on its way.
On a side note I tested my car with a narrower front end than usual on Sunday and guess what, it was even quicker due to increased steering
I will have my McLaren MP4/6 body and front wing on tonight so I should be able to see it every where on the track.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have run mainly F1s in my limited experience.

Width rule is all I care about. ie No width rule! Otherwise I have a collection of useless parts.

After running mini combo I have recently switched to 21.5 and I'm faster.
Mainly due to less circle work, but I think 21.5 for F1 on a Tempe size track is spot on. Agree the 17.5 just stock sounds good to allow everyone to be able to play - ie gearing limitations.

As for rubber I'm OK with that too - I found TRG rubber tyres work well and last a long time. Rims are brittle but even with several cracks and bits missing out of the rims they still function.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Mr Chodes
The 21.5 may well be quicker than the fixed timing 17.5 because of the ability to have a motor with can timing therefore not as mental FDR needed.
I for one say BRING IT ON!

CYA tonight.

Brett
Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 AM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Hey guys here is a short vid of our meet just gone in adelaide
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6rqfHBeAEok
Old 04-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hello just to share my experience running F1 races.

Rubber tires and fixed gearing rule has equalized F103 vs F104.

We initially ran open gearing, but found fixed gearing to give close racing and more fun.

And allowing all chassis gives the "technological" fun and diversity of F1. Not just all about the driving skill, it's also about the cars. In my races, F103, F104, F109, F201 and KF01 can all run together. The more the merrier.

Good luck and more power! Interested to hear what works for you.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I will put in my 2c as I have run F1 for a while and believe I have half an Idea,

1, Any commercially available RWD F1 chassis,
2, No suspension restrictions (e.g. F103 front end, independent rear end, Pan front end, RWD converted F201, etc)
3, No battery restrictions (must be a commercially available 2cell 7.4 volt lipo)
4, Up to 17.5t sensored motor, with or without motor timing,
5, Any Blinky ESC, (as per blinky rules) or any Brushed ESC with motor up to 27T,
6, Any commercially available F1 rubber tyres/rims only, (no TC/Mini tyres/rims etc)
7, Any commercially available F1 front and rear wings, (must use both front and rear wing of some sort)
8, any commercially available F1 body shell, (must have painted body shell, with driver/head if that shell requires one)
9, no use of any gyro/stability system,
10, weight restrictions to 1000g inc transponder, (discuss if this is too low?)

personally i would of liked 17.5 open ESC, but that would make it too quick/difficult for most drivers but 17.5 blinky makes it a nice even playing field,

21.5 I believe is too slow and my understanding is that some cars are unable to get the correct/high enough gearing (FGX?)

I think weight restriction to 1000g is reasonable for most cars, if you made it 1100-1200g then many F103 style cars will need to add over 100-200g of weight, (where on earth will you fit it all?) thoughts?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:34 AM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Rod, for the most part, I think it makes sense, but I think that 21.5 is plenty quick enough, even the FGX guys can get into the 2.X FDR range, if I understand what Brett tells me.

There's nothing better than wheel-to-wheel racing and I think the slower speeds makes that much more likely and more accessible for the less experienced guys. Less speed brings more focus on better driving over race distance.

The UF1 guys have a good series going and their rules are very similar, if not simpler, with the only real exception being a width limit (190mm). I'm not sure we need either a weight limit or a width limit if we keep power in check.

For all-out racing, 12th scale should cover that, I think F1 should be something a little different. The Mini guys have simple rules, manageable speeds for a noob and they generally have a lot of fun. There's merit in that formula, if you'll pardon the pun

Phil.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

I watched the F1's at SMA tonight and it seemed to be pretty good close racing.
They are running a new rule set 21.5 open esc rubber tires and 200mm max. Seems to work.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Badman Racer
I watched the F1's at SMA tonight and it seemed to be pretty good close racing.
They are running a new rule set 21.5 open esc rubber tires and 200mm max. Seems to work.
It was good fun in F1 last night, everyone was really close, i was running a Tekin 21.5 /RS combo, and with no boost, just a little Turbo added added to the top end to give a little more straight-line speed at full throttle, it was very controllable and felt fast, (well faster than my 21.5 blinky TC was going last night anyway)

And a 15 year old F103 can still be competitive

Beth.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I see a number of comments in this thread to the affect that there should be no width restriction.

The old Australian F1 rules had a maximum width of 200 mm I believe. The Corally F1 was 202 mm if you didn't modify it. Currently the World GT class has a legal width of 205 mm, whereas the legal width for Pro-10 was 230 mm.

The extra width helps the handling of any car a lot. It is in fact, one of the most fundamental design parameters. If you give free reign on width, someone will exploit it eventually.

I assume that when people say they want no width restriction they just mean that they want to be able to use all the commercially available kits without having to worry about it. If this is the case I highly recommend 205 mm as the legal width. All the current kits that I am aware of fit within this width if built as per manual. If you are that way inclined it would also give you the option of modifying a WGT car.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I will exploit it...

Just started modifying my 235mm car..
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 PM
Tech Adept

Kind of coming in a bit late here but I know WERC have just revised its rules to allow both rubber and foam tires with the main aim of opening up the class as much as possible to all makes and styles of F1 cars and hopeful building the class within the club more.

As for motors a 17.5 max was agreed on but most members are opting for either a 21.5 or even the good old silver can as it seems to be a very effective set up for the track.

Other then that as long as it is a RWD F1 style car all is good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.