Search
Like Tree19Likes

Castle Hill RC Onroad

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Richards Racing
Rob do not like the list . NO AUSSIE MUSCLE CARS like the XY shakers, XU1 Torana's.
Noel,

A lot of the stuff I put up was copied from the US VTA rules, so I can't see why the Aussie cars can't be added seeing how they're from around the same era. I've seen an XU1 Torana shell and it looks fairly good, however the Ford XY shell isn't the best I've seen though, and doesn't do the full size car any justice.

Also the rules I posted above are so far a proposal, which may be adjusted for our club if we can get enough interest to run the class once a month.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta04evah
Noel,

A lot of the stuff I put up was copied from the US VTA rules, so I can't see why the Aussie cars can't be added seeing how they're from around the same era. I've seen an XU1 Torana shell and it looks fairly good, however the Ford XY shell isn't the best I've seen though, and doesn't do the full size car any justice.

Also the rules I posted above are so far a proposal, which may be adjusted for our club if we can get enough interest to run the class once a month.

Cheers
Rob.
I know boys got to have some fun .
Old 04-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

after my little holiday in victoria i am looking forward to a nite of racing at the hill this friday

muchmores have been sold to beth

graham

Last edited by Professor; 04-29-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: tyres sold
Old 04-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys,

Newbie questions.

I'm not new to Radio Control in general as i'm very experienced with RC planes, but and am completely new to RC cars and racing. I have a good working knowledge of electrics and a good charger.

I live in Cherrybrook, not too far from your club and want to try touring car racing.

I'm currently putting a car together and researching what i need to get involved in the novice class.
Budget is a consideration so i have ordered a 3Racing Sakura XI Sport.
I have a Futaba 3PRKA radio.
Unless you recommend otherwise, I will most likely purchase the motor, ESC and batteries from Hobbyking.
I have found they have a 21.5T ROAR approved motor and a selection of ROAR approved batteries. None of their ESCs specifically say ROAR approved but a few of them have blinky mode. Are these ok to use?

Feel free to recommend any other brands that are budget friendly and readily available locally.

What else do i need to get involved as a casual racer?
Will i need better tyres than the stock items?

Lastly, i've been practicing in VRC Pro and would like to know what track in VRC is a good representation of the track surface and corners at Castle Hill?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to getting involved in the not to distant future.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CustomPC
Hi guys,

Newbie questions.

I live in Cherrybrook, not too far from your club and want to try touring car racing.

I'm currently putting a car together and researching what i need to get involved in the novice class.
Budget is a consideration so i have ordered a 3Racing Sakura XI Sport.
I have a Futaba 3PRKA radio.
Unless you recommend otherwise, I will most likely purchase the motor, ESC and batteries from Hobbyking.
I have found they have a 21.5T ROAR approved motor and a selection of ROAR approved batteries. None of their ESCs specifically say ROAR approved but a few of them have blinky mode. Are these ok to use?

Feel free to recommend any other brands that are budget friendly and readily available locally.

What else do i need to get involved as a casual racer?
Will i need better tyres than the stock items?

Lastly, i've been practicing in VRC Pro and would like to know what track in VRC is a good representation of the track surface and corners at Castle Hill?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to getting involved in the not to distant future.
Hi There,

While Hobbyking does offer products at a budget friendly price, you have to be carefull when ordering as they have some stuff in their international warehouse, and stuff from their Australian warehouse.
If you're looking for gear that is local and budget friendly, you can get all the stuff below from one location at Walter R/C Hobbies.

Speed Passion esc & 21.5 motor, both which are Roar approved and has "blinky" mode, ask one of the guys there to set it into "blinky" mode and they'll do it while you wait.
http://www.walterrchobby.com.au/inde...gram-card.html

Zippy 2 cell 4000 25c hardcase lipo mah, which is Roar apporved. This pack will be fine for getting into 21.5 racing to give you good performance.
http://www.walterrchobby.com.au/inde...-po/zippy.html

iMaxRC B6 Compact Li Po Battery Charger + 15V5A AC Adaptor Combo. Simple "plug & play" charging system. will start charging the battery automatically after plugging it in, and automatically stop charging when battery if full. Comes with an AC adapter.
http://www.walterrchobby.com.au/inde...tor-combo.html

Team C TS670 Low Profile Digital Servo. A good servo with quick response and metal gears to resist damage from collisions or crashes.
http://www.walterrchobby.com.au/inde...tal-servo.html

RIDE 26011 Revolution 32/ Light Foam Insert Pre-mounted (4). Tires that are better than the stock ones in the kit. They work well at Castle Hill and come pre glued so no worries about gluing them to the rims.
http://www.walterrchobby.com.au/inde...mounted-4.html

Other things you'll need when coming to racing at Castle Hill is portable table & chair, power extension lead, power board and probably a desk lamp to give you more light when working on your car. All these can be purchased just about at any retailer such as bunnings, Big W, K Mart etc at a budget friendly price.

One tip with the Sakura car kit, ditch the servo saver that comes in the kit, it's rubbish and will make the car "wander" when trying to go in a strait line.
I personally use the Tamiya high torque serv savers and have found them to be reliable and offer good protection to your servo.
http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-51000-s...cPath=1099_808

Can't really give you advice about VRC as I have not used it that much, if you've got any other questions though, I with others will be happy to help giving you some answers & advice.

Cheers
Rob.

EDIT: Forgot to mention getting a Lipo Safe charging bag, which is required when charging Lipo batteries at most, if not all tracks.
http://www.walterrchobby.com.au/inde...rge-white.html

Last edited by ta04evah; 04-30-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hi,
Agree with most of what Rob has mentioned.
Jay at Walter is very helpful.
I would look for a better servo. I've tried that one and found it way too slow and had to return it.
I'll bring some spare tyres you can have on Friday.

Fred
Old 05-01-2014, 03:39 AM
OW
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ta04evah

Other things you'll need when coming to racing at Castle Hill is portable table & chair, power extension lead, power board and probably a desk lamp to give you more light when working on your car. All these can be purchased just about at any retailer such as bunnings, Big W, K Mart etc at a budget friendly price.

EDIT: Forgot to mention getting a Lipo Safe charging bag, which is required when charging Lipo batteries at most, if not all tracks.
http://www.walterrchobby.com.au/inde...rge-white.html
Rob may have forgotten but there are some tables and chairs that can be used on a loan basis and the Lipo bag can be bought from Linda at the track if she has them in stock but you can also find them other places.
I don't suggest planning on using the tables on a long term basis but if you need to get the table later in order to fit your budget better that can be arranged but it is generally on a frist come first serve basis and when she has the bbq it is generally 2 tables less available.
That said however if you want to bring your own folding chairs and a folding table is quite alright. Many of the guys use a led desk lamp that was gotten from some Woolies for about $30 (some were gotten when they were on sale for $20)

I will be having classes for about the next 8 weeks to get my cert 3 in aged care so I likely will not be around much as I won't likely get home before 5 and Rob perfers to leave before then to help with the track and to beat the traffic. Still have a bit of lingering congestion/cough so even though I don't have class because I took the subject covered tomorrow already I am going to stay out of the weather until well.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OW
Rob may have forgotten but there are some tables and chairs that can be used on a loan basis and the Lipo bag can be bought from Linda at the track if she has them in stock but you can also find them other places.
I don't suggest planning on using the tables on a long term basis but if you need to get the table later in order to fit your budget better that can be arranged but it is generally on a frist come first serve basis and when she has the bbq it is generally 2 tables less available.
That said however if you want to bring your own folding chairs and a folding table is quite alright. Many of the guys use a led desk lamp that was gotten from some Woolies for about $30 (some were gotten when they were on sale for $20)

I will be having classes for about the next 8 weeks to get my cert 3 in aged care so I likely will not be around much as I won't likely get home before 5 and Rob perfers to leave before then to help with the track and to beat the traffic. Still have a bit of lingering congestion/cough so even though I don't have class because I took the subject covered tomorrow already I am going to stay out of the weather until well.
Hope the cough goes away Sharon still has her cough it's just doesn't go away, good luck on the course hope it all goes well.

Noel
Old 05-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Won't be able to bring the tyres tonight.

Hope to be there with Dean next week.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:37 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

Another great night last night. Big field of F1 and 21.5. Big congratulation to Alex Nyam for making it into the A final in 21.5 and finishing 6th great drive.

Don't forget Mini Mania is on next week. So dust of the pocket rockets and bring them down to race next week.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

In the A's and of course getting out off the way hit the barrier popped the grub screw on the upright but I couldn't understand why I had no power found out this afternoon after fixing upright no front drive belt had popped off.

That's life but had a lot off fun thanks everyone for a great night.

Noel
Old 05-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TJ
Another great night last night. Big field of F1 and 21.5. Big congratulation to Alex Nyam for making it into the A final in 21.5 and finishing 6th great drive.
+1

Was a great night of racing, and good to see everyone there again plus a couple of new faces with everyone having fun on the night.
Weather was a little cooler last night, was glad I brought along some warmer clothing.

As always, thanks to Trev, Linda, Caitlin & everyone else that helps to make the night enjoyable for all of us.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

just have to say to trevor,stock & 21.5 a finalist, a huge thank you for swapping the 2 a finals around which allowed me to race the final,i really did appreciate the gesture

also agree with what others have said, great nite of racing & socializing thanks to all

graham
Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Professor
just have to say to trevor,stock & 21.5 a finalist, a huge thank you for swapping the 2 a finals around which allowed me to race the final,i really did appreciate the gesture

also agree with what others have said, great nite of racing & socializing thanks to all

graham
+ 1...... but that's what its all about
you cant have a final without finalists on the stand....you cant have an A final without a B final
Old 05-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Really enjoyed myself racing Friday night, in particular was the racing in 21.5 B against Daniel Richards and one other gentleman whose name I don't know. We had some really close duels and raced without bumping into each other with each driver showing the other respect and allowing some racing room.

I was also happy as my F110 is finally getting there, I could actually race as opposed to just trying to keep out of the way. It's amazing the difference the right set of tyres and a softer spring will make. Car and especially the driver, still have some way to go but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Really looking forward to next Friday. See you all then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.