Community
Wiki Posts
Search

540 Run In

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Default 540 Run In

I noticed people talking about this in the club challenge thread and I was wondering how do people run in their 540 motors. I heard something about running them under water. Wont this electricute everything?

What maintenance do people do to the motors?

Any help would be appreciated as ive burnt out a few of these motors recently.

Cheers,

Mossie
Old 07-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use to run my 540's in water or shellite as a run in process for 10 or so minutes.

If anyone here remembers my Cat98 or watever I had at the Canberra 97 Nationals they'll know how well the run in works.

And no it wont electricute anything cos you dont start the motor running while its in the water, you have it running and then dunk it.

Any questions?
Old 07-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

does the hole motor go under water?

Does it make the motor last longer?

Thanks for the advice mate.

Cheers,

Mossie
Old 07-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

yea have the whole motor under water.

no it doesn't make it last longer, just aids break in.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by Mossie
does the hole motor go under water?

Does it make the motor last longer?

Thanks for the advice mate.

Cheers,

Mossie
Mossie, See Bernie at C'Hill on friday for the ultimate breakin of these little wonders. He will show you the way
Old 07-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Yup
Run it in a glass of water off a few batteries. I have even done it off a single AA cell.
No you wont get electrocuted - it worried me too!
Just run it untill the water greys a bit

Watch out, use a large glass but dont fill it too far or else water will splash out.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Tim_Gaukroger

And no it wont electricute anything cos you dont start the motor running while its in the water, you have it running and then dunk it.

Any questions? [/B]
What difference does it make if you start it out of water and then dunk it??
I start mine under water and live to tell the tale
Old 07-05-2004, 07:27 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

DON'T USE SHELLITE.

Not unless you're all alone in the middle of the desert with absolutely nothing flammable for miles all around.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tim_Gaukroger

If anyone here remembers my Cat98 or watever I had at the Canberra 97 Nationals they'll know how well the run in works.

I remember that thing was quicker than most of the stocks, I remember you stacking on the straight, getting nailed by the entire field, catching up to the pack and passing all of them on the straight again.

I was given a 540 with a buckled bushing in it, was near on last all day, and the race tech crew wouldn't replace it so just before the last final almost the entire Wodonga club came up to race tech and demanded they give me another motor.

Well the gave me one, we didn't have time to run it in, qualified 2nd in the B, and won it, only if........
Old 07-05-2004, 07:59 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

yes its interesting what people to to break in 540 motors I agree DON"T use shellite to break in. But there are different compounds to polish bushings,bed in brushed and different methods some use slave motors some use special breaking in machines. But when it comes down to it you can only do so much then its up to driving skill and car settup. Two years ago in Japan we were novice to working these motors last year we learnt from our mistakes and we were as fast down the straight as every body else what let us down in some class was car setup. Corner speed that is the key. Keep your finger on the trigger and not backing off
and controlling the car so that it does the shortest distance around the track. When you are taking about thousands of a second on single lap qualifing every mistake cost dearly.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

I don't think you're going to have any trouble electrocuting yourself with 7.2V. If you could, then you'd get electrocuted every time you touched both your battery connectors at the same time.

Start the motor in or out of the water, the only difference will be the amount of water that goes on the floor because the armatures been spinning when you put it in...
Old 07-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Tech Addict

You can use coke instead of water.

Good idea to put some beam in first. The 540 gives you a good mix
Old 07-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Tech Regular

what motor spray do people use?

Cheers,

Mossie
Old 07-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

Team orion
Old 07-06-2004, 04:01 AM
Tech Master

The thing is with shellite, yes its highly flamable, if you're an idiot with it. But did anyone ever set their hand on fire, like I did, fooling around in the shed and realise that it burns cold? Girls liquid that stuff is

yes it works great, yes its flamable, and it is the absolute bees knees for cleaning you're 540. Also clean the comm with a cottom bud with some shellite on it once you've run it in too.

Having the motor in the shellite before you've hooked it up is a recipe for disaster, but if you have the motor running, and then dunk it, it WILL NOT set alite.

Next thing with shellite, wait for it to dry before you connect it again while it's on you're table, or it will set alight.

Last I heard shellite was banned at Major meets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.