Wiki Posts
Search

WHEELCHAIR DRIVER STANDS

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Originally Posted by spook
That's great info. I haven't started this thread to piss people off or clubs. I just want to get it out there that there are alot of guy's in chairs that have become paralysed from motor racing and riding moto. I try to promote rc racing through the spinal rehab centre in Ryde, but there is just no tracks to point them to. People who have just become paralysed doing something that they love and know they will never do again is very hard to come to grips with. Rc racing is a fantasic way of getting back into the racing side of life, especially nitro. So my agenda is to make it aware to clubs in Australia and especially NSW to try and get access to the people who have had there lives completely shattered and want to be apart of something other than wheelchair sports.
Well that's my rant, could go on for ages but that's for another day.
I don't think it's a rant,you have explained very clearly and i think people can understand guys in wheelchairs wanting to get into RC
Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Spook,

I'm the buggy rep on the Liverpool committee and it is certainly our intention to have a facility which caters for guys in chairs. Based on your last comment, it has opened my eyes to the potential for new members from people in a similar situation and gas offroad rocks!

We are currently trying to arrange for funding for a disabled drivers stand so maybe get in contact with me and we might be able to leaverage off each other to make it happen. I'm sure with your input we could get an even better outcome.

Regards

Chris
Old 02-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I can definately say that this high on the Liverpool Committee's "Wish List" but funding is very hard to get hold of from the Council or State Government. We are currently going through the process of establishing permanent toilet facilities that will include Disabled Access for Racers in Wheelchairs.

We have decided on a dedicated drivers stand for Wheelchair bound racers to save on removing / modifying the existing one. The club has approached the Council/Government about some funding for this so hopefully they can come to the party.

Unfortunately as stated above unless we can find someone with a stack of money to invest in the track or the Government funds the construction its a slow process to get it happening
Old 02-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is an interesting read. I also am in a chair & have been racing since 2002(IC on road) I am fortunate enough to have had a great support network within my club & one of the boys will throw me up on a shoulder & carry me up on the stand. No easy feat as I weigh around 100kgs. My home club is PDNR & we now have a purpose built wheelchair friendly stand, It took quite a few years to get sorted as there is a lot to consider in getting it right. The cost would be in the vicinity of 20k to duplicate our stand (guestimate as all the labour/paint was donated on our stand, steel was also discounted)

I must admit I have been surprised over the years at the lack of accesability at most facilitys. I have raced at all the major IC onroad tracks accross the country & Brendale in QLD has been the only one with a suitable setup. It is unfortunate as R/C racing is one of the few sports that wheelys can compete with "normal" people without handicap (pardon the pun) I think if facilitys were better there is a massive potential market for our sport. Good on the clubs that are trying to put things in place.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Default First thing that came to mind when I started..

Originally Posted by soc123_au
This is an interesting read. I also am in a chair & have been racing since 2002(IC on road) I am fortunate enough to have had a great support network within my club & one of the boys will throw me up on a shoulder & carry me up on the stand. No easy feat as I weigh around 100kgs. My home club is PDNR & we now have a purpose built wheelchair friendly stand, It took quite a few years to get sorted as there is a lot to consider in getting it right. The cost would be in the vicinity of 20k to duplicate our stand (guestimate as all the labour/paint was donated on our stand, steel was also discounted)

I must admit I have been surprised over the years at the lack of accesability at most facilitys. I have raced at all the major IC onroad tracks accross the country & Brendale in QLD has been the only one with a suitable setup. It is unfortunate as R/C racing is one of the few sports that wheelys can compete with "normal" people without handicap (pardon the pun) I think if facilitys were better there is a massive potential market for our sport. Good on the clubs that are trying to put things in place.
My cousin is wheelchair bound but due to brain injury in a car accident so it's not entirely suitable for him. As for Brendale, yes I thought it was a perfect setup until another wheelchair driver pointed out he sat a lot lower in the chair and couldn't see over the closed in railing, so Ill bring it up with committee and take it onto myself to make an elevated ramp to see over the edge, a mate is a chippy and we should be able to knock something up.

WHEELCHAIR DRIVER STANDS-dscf4713-large-.jpgWHEELCHAIR DRIVER STANDS-dscf5413-large-.jpg

PS: Ive seen your mates helping you with the lift.. A well deserved cheer to them!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

I am pretty lucky to have mates that are willing to help. I feel much more comfortable at somewhere like Brendale though. Help is obviously required to get up & down the ramp, but it is much safer. The days of getting thrown over the shoulder are finished now though. One of the boys carrying me up the stairs at Moorebank at last years nats did some damage to his back. Fortunatly he is OK but it is not worth the risk of having someone do some serious damage. The worst of it is he was dirty with the guy that told me about his injury, he didnt want me feeling bad about it. It still brings a lump to my throat knowing that I have such good mates.

What Contact mentioned before is most likely true. With anti discrimination laws clubs could be made to comply (although there is no ramp at Fairy Meadow or I would have raced the Summer Nats) The trouble with that is it would probably kill most clubs & that benifits no one. I personaly would like to see something done at IFMAR level that to hold a sanctioned event the facilities need to cater to everyone. This would then trickle down to FEMCA, ARRCMCC etc. It would take years but would be a step in the right direction. Unfortunatly until something happens I am pretty much retired except for Club racing at PDNR & the odd trip to QLD.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Unfortunatly until something happens I am pretty much retired except for Club racing at PDNR & the odd trip to QLD.
does that mean you have fixed your car

and retirement seems like such a dirty word, you have made long service leave for serpent but thats all so far.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Thumbs up Access Ramp

Here is what our club in Cairns has built for access onto our drivers stand, we will also have a "fold down" section of rail to reduce obscurity for wheelchair bound drivers

Old 03-14-2010, 01:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

bloody hell that looks great if I do say so myself
Old 03-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

[QUOTE=mtbkym01;7133185]Here is what our club in Cairns has built for access onto our drivers stand, we will also have a "fold down" section of rail to reduce obscurity for wheelchair bound drivers

WOW congratulations guys top work, that's something to real proud of.
Im thinking after seeing Damo wheel maybe he should be up the back with not too much view of the track at all.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Tech Master

Outstanding job. That looks great.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

[QUOTE=mtbkym01;7133185]Here is what our club in Cairns has built for access onto our drivers stand, we will also have a "fold down" section of rail to reduce obscurity for wheelchair bound drivers

QUOTE]

Fantastic work Cairns club. You guys are really showing the way here.

Out of interest, there were some numbers mentioned around about how much it costs to set up wheelchair access, did you guys find it that expensive?
Old 03-14-2010, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ajford
Fantastic work Cairns club. You guys are really showing the way here.

Out of interest, there were some numbers mentioned around about how much it costs to set up wheelchair access, did you guys find it that expensive?
Without fully crunching the final numbers, we basically spent about $3000 of hard fund-raised cash. We also were very lucky enough to be given great prices on materials from local businesses. The cost included a 5m extension to our drivers stand aswell.

Also many man hours from dedicated members and potential members.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtbkym01
Without fully crunching the final numbers, we basically spent about $3000 of hard fund-raised cash. We also were very lucky enough to be given great prices on materials from local businesses. The cost included a 5m extension to our drivers stand aswell.

Also many man hours from dedicated members and potential members.
Seriously, top effort fellas.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:53 AM
Tech Adept

It looks perfect. Put a huge smile on my face when I first saw it. You guy's have definately shown every one how it's done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.