Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Software assignment (Rollout Calculator) >

Software assignment (Rollout Calculator)

Software assignment (Rollout Calculator)

Old 03-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Software assignment (Rollout Calculator)

For my Year 12 Software Design and Development Major Assignment, i've decided to create a Rollout Calculator. Evantually i do want to use the program for my car, but before then, i have to actually build it.

In the program, i'm having a save function that saves the Car Model, Internal Ratio of the Car and the Available gears of the car.

Would any one be able to tell me what i will need to know for working out the rollout ratio and is there anything else that i need to know about working out certian Ratios?

Also if anyone has any ideas that i could use, it would be appreciated.

Thanx!!
Old 03-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

Rollout = Tire Diameter x 3.14 ÷ Gear Ratio
Old 03-10-2004, 08:01 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

You should talk to Linda she has been working on calculators in Java script at tafe at the moment. Might be able to help in constructing the form and mechanics of it.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nutter (is that really your name)

I have several different versions of Roll out calculator, from software to Excel spread sheets, this should give you the formula for the calculation. I also have an extensive list of internal diff ratios for various makes and madels of car, PM me with an email address where i can send some largish attachments and make sure that your outlook or firewall doesnt spit the attachements out too. This will give everything you need to go crazy
Old 03-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

how about this feature?:

Suggested Starting Roll-out:
Select Track Type (tight & Short, Moderate & Mid Length, Wide & Sweeping)
Select Motor (Power/Torque Range) - can some of the guys here with Dyno's give some guidelines? Or else get some data from somewhere. So you could select the range based on your motor's #'s.
Also maybe something about how cut the comm is - the smaller the Diameter the higher power in higher RPM's but lower torque (This is right isn't it?)

I know all the seasoned racers will tell you to "figure out" your motor's power. But a good starting point would still be very usefull.

And Rollout is the distance your tyres roll for one revolution of the motor. So Circumference (2*Pi*R) / Gear Ratio gives you rollout.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by vaiogeek
how about this feature?:

Suggested Starting Roll-out:
Select Track Type (tight & Short, Moderate & Mid Length, Wide & Sweeping)
Select Motor (Power/Torque Range) - can some of the guys here with Dyno's give some guidelines? Or else get some data from somewhere. So you could select the range based on your motor's #'s.
Also maybe something about how cut the comm is - the smaller the Diameter the higher power in higher RPM's but lower torque (This is right isn't it?)

I know all the seasoned racers will tell you to "figure out" your motor's power. But a good starting point would still be very usefull.

And Rollout is the distance your tyres roll for one revolution of the motor. So Circumference (2*Pi*R) / Gear Ratio gives you rollout.
How would i express all that info in a program? Are there any Formulas that i could use?
Attached Thumbnails Software assignment (Rollout Calculator)-diagram.jpg  
Old 03-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Tech Initiate

The Picture above is what my form currently looks like.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by The Nutter
The Picture above is what my form currently looks like.
I think it should work the other way. noone think I will run a 72/26 combo, they think I need to run XYZ rollout for this track with this motor. Then think about what spur and pinion you need.

Input a rollout you want to run and then it works out the best Spur and Pinion combo. But then you have to find out what size spurs work with what cars.

i.e try putting a 100 spur 48 pitch into a TC3

Coxy.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo

Originally posted by Coxy
Input a rollout you want to run and then it works out the best Spur and Pinion combo. But then you have to find out what size spurs work with what cars.

i.e try putting a 100 spur 48 pitch into a TC3

Coxy.
I have a rollout calculator that does that if anyone wants. (ie select all your pinions and spurs first, then enter desired rollout and it will give you closest combo.)

let us know and I'll email it to anyone who wants...
Old 03-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by Kennedy
I have a rollout calculator that does that if anyone wants. (ie select all your pinions and spurs first, then enter desired rollout and it will give you closest combo.)

let us know and I'll email it to anyone who wants...
Ken'n'Edy

Already sent that one to the Nutter! It's called RCCADDY and It's pretty cool. Would recommend it to anyone who wants to take Ken'n"Edy up on his offer.