Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stock racing too easy???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Tech Champion

Default Stock racing too easy???

Is Stock racing too easy??? Anyone care for 8min stock racing like in Japan?
Old 03-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Stock racing too easy???

Originally posted by black-knight
Is Stock racing too easy??? Anyone care for 8min stock racing like in Japan?
No!!!!!!!!. why bring back the battery war. Next would be Mod 8 mins and for whos benifit, The battery war.

Coxy.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:06 PM
DZ
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

stock should be to 19turn rules.. that could make things interesting.. i'm still think that 27 turn is to fast for me..my drive train can't handle it to much power lolololol
Old 03-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Personally I think johnson 540 racing is harder then stock.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Stock racing too easy???

Originally posted by Coxy
No!!!!!!!!. why bring back the battery war. Next would be Mod 8 mins and for whos benifit, The battery war.

Coxy.
RC Racing and Battery Wars go hand in hand, its unavoidable.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Tech Addict

If its too easy...drive mod.

I thought that was the basic idea, to form a sensible progression...

As per the new 19T class OS, this should be where we are aiming...
Old 03-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Too some extent stock is easy. The chassis technology in today's touring cars is developed to the point that there is massive amounts of traction compared with the levels of horsepower in stock or 540 classes.

That means its fairly easy to drive a stock tourer around at 90% of its potential. The chassis isn't stressed, grip levels are (generally) very high and there's obviously plenty of battery and electronics to handle stock motors.

That said, stock is also very difficult. Extracting that last 10% (and particularly the last 3%) is profoundly challenging. Understanding the motors, tuning the chassis to extract every last bit of corner speed, and then driving the cars to perfection to make the most of it. That's what makes stock hard.

The fact that there are 10 different chassis all with very similar performance, that most of the stock motor tuning secrets are well known. These things on the one hand make stock easy, but on the other make it quite difficult.

In the end I'd agree with Andrew_xxxs, if stock seems to easy, race modified. I've never understood why people are afraid to race modified. The cars are faster, its more fun, and unless you want that last 2% the horsepower isn't that hard to come by. Brushless perhaps makes it even more accessible.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by scott_g
That said, stock is also very difficult. Extracting that last 10% (and particularly the last 3%) is profoundly challenging. Understanding the motors, tuning the chassis to extract every last bit of corner speed, and then driving the cars to perfection to make the most of it. That's what makes stock hard.
And thats what makes stock challenging...

I've never understood why people are afraid to race modified. The cars are faster, its more fun, and unless you want that last 2% the horsepower isn't that hard to come by. Brushless perhaps makes it even more accessible.
I don't know about people being necessarily afraid of racing mod, I think its a matter of gaining enough racecraft and experience to be able to handle your car well enough not to interrupt the racing of more experienced drivers. When driving mod, you are expected to be able to drive at a certain level. Driving mod when you aren't at that level is showing disrespect to the guys that have been racing for long enough, or worked hard enough to get that level of skill.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:35 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Andrew_XXXs
If its too easy...drive mod.

I thought that was the basic idea, to form a sensible progression...

As per the new 19T class OS, this should be where we are aiming...

lol, but what about the stock masters.... they can't drive mod? How do we give them a challenge?
Old 03-02-2004, 03:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by black-knight
lol, but what about the stock masters.... they can't drive mod? How do we give them a challenge?
they can't dive mod?......or....they don't want to drive mod?
Old 03-02-2004, 04:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Wink Stock Racing

I have been racing stock for the last 6 months now and is enjoying it very much. I have found it very challenging and very competitive and would always welcome racing besides top stock drivers. Eventually my aim is to be on the top before even considering moving to mods with a brushless setup

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

run 5cells for the "stock masters" instead of six.

make them run reedy mvp's or orion cores
Old 03-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Stock racing too easy????? a big call from a Competent Gas and Mod racer who raced stock at the nats and could only secure 3rd. Stock has a place, and has its own challenges.

People are best served running stock until they are towards the pointy end, then move on to mod, but keep in mind that you will need to go through an aprenticeship in mod, you cant expect to walk in an keep winning. BK's comment re stock masters is correct, they cant necessarily drive mod, the stock mentality of drive through the car in front is still very much there, and has been exhibited lately by a few new mod runners.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Andrew_XXXs
...When driving mod, you are expected to be able to drive at a certain level. Driving mod when you aren't at that level is showing disrespect to the guys that have been racing for long enough, or worked hard enough to get that level of skill.
I dont think this applies only to mod racing. This is a common problem for any kind of racing (including stock), and thats why we have a system called 'qualifying'. A good race organiser will keep all the big name drivers seperate from the unknowns in the qualifiers.

I think its a bit extreme saying you are showing 'disrespect' by racing mod just because you can't keep up with Barry Baker.... Its a snob attitude that turns people off getting into mod racing.

BK, in answer to your original question, NO.
Firstly I agree with Coxy about batteries, and; Is 8 minutes making it 'harder' as someone who can drive spot on for 5 mins will pretty much be able to do it for 8 as well? A counter argument could be that racing stock for 4 mins is 'harder' than 8 as you have less time to catch up if you make a mistake..

Last edited by brusharc; 03-02-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by brusharc
I think its a bit extreme saying you are showing 'disrespect' by racing mod just because you can't keep up with Barry Baker.... Its a snob attitude that turns people off getting into mod racing.
True...having been the brunt of such an attitude at times.

I would note though, you don't have to be able to lap as quick as the top guys, just be able to competently keep out of their way.

In clarification, the way you disrespect quick guys that are racing with you (and this applies to any class except novice) is by ruining their racing and causing damage to their equipment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.